Anybody tried these "traction grips" ? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2019, 07:31 PM   #1

Anybody tried these "traction grips" ?

Honestly, if I woulda known how good a gun my Pro Carry II was going to turn out to be, I probably would have jumped up a model or two in features. No matter, I have been having fun tweaking it along the way.

As time has gone on I have wished for a bit more grip on the front strap. I am not going to pay to have it checkered, actually I shot a Sig 1911 and the checkering annoyed me, too sharp it was distracting.

Anyone tried these or something like them? Wilson Combat also makes a mock front strap for cheap but I was wondering which would be better. Can hardly go wrong with either at the price but I don't want to waste time and effort on a bad idea either.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-pack-Trac...gAAOSw11BcNl7R

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
KCJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-17-2019, 08:52 PM   #2

I used skateboard tape for a couple of years and really like it. I eventually had that gun totally customized and had the front strap hand checkered as part of the customization. I had a very sharp more coarse checkering job done that really is easy to hold onto. It’s really an individual thing though.

Before I had it checkered I used both pebbled rubber stair tread and skateboard ( sandpaper ) tape. My preference was sandpaper tape. In my IPSC shooting days some of my friends even used aluminum panels covered with skateboard tape rather than traditional grips.

Most of my 1911’s have checkered front straps. I like steel frame guns in most cases and have a TLE Pro 45 and Eclipse Target 5” 38 super both of which are checkered. They both have good checkering that’s not as sharp as my custom 45 but are very good.

I picked up a 9mm Springfield RO with adjustable sights. I almost didn’t buy it because it’s not checkered but thought I’d have one of the gunsmiths do the checkering when I sent it to him for a 38 super barrel to be fitted. Unfortunately after sending it to him he informed me he’s no longer checkering due to arthritis in his hands.

I bought some of the tabs like you’re looking at but haven’t put it in yet. Just from looking and feeling the texture I think it’ll do just fine. It’s a small investment and easy to remove if it doesn’t do the trick.

I considered the Wilson front strap but have read some issues with it scratching the finish under it. I think I’ll pass on that.

My wife gave me a new Ultra two tone for Christmas. It isn’t checkered but I opted for the Hogue rubber wrap around grips with finger grooves. I wouldn’t call them pretty but they give ultimate grip which I really like with such a light weight 45. It makes it much more manageable during rapid fire.
.38SuperMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 03:48 AM   #3

I have the WC frontstrap on my Springfield RO and I personally like the feel and it gets the job done for a very reasonable price. I have read the reviews and some claim it’s like a cheese grater but I don’t see it that way. Some people say they have trouble installing them, well if you can’t remove your grips by yourself I wouldn’t recommend this product.
Bigdog likes this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2019, 04:09 AM   #4

I use that brand on my Pico, as does my wife on hers, it's been great.
JBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 05:40 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Like JC45 I've installed the WC Frontstraps on a couple of my 1911's and love them.
2sharp2, JC45 and Bigdog like this.

Chuck43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 05:40 AM   #6

I have a springfield emp that doesnt have front strap checkering so I bought pre cut front strap tape off of amazon and it works great. after you put it on it says to use a hair dryer to help activate the glue on it . It has stayed put for a few years now.
427malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:33 AM   #7

Great input guys thanks.

I like the feel of skateboard tape, but I didn't think I would be able to get it on without looking cheesy. I thought the traction grips might be easier.

Not worried about scratches, I have already beat the stuffin out of this thing. I was concerned the WC would want to move around on me. Apparently that is not a problem?

Old 04-18-2019, 07:51 AM   #8
Super Moderator

No the WC straps are held in place by the grip panels. In fact once installed it's hard to tell that the front strap is not actually checkered.
2sharp2 likes this.

Chuck43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:35 AM   #9

I just checked , those are the ones on my emp. They are great as far as Im concerned.
Chuck43 and KCJeep like this.
427malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 01:18 PM   #10

Well I just ordered some of the traction grips for the Pro Carry. Looking further I saw that they had "sand" (skateboard tape light) and rubber. I decided to try rubber this time.

Still intrigued by the WC front strap I think I will try one of those on my other 1911, a MAC 38 Super.
JC45 likes this.