First range trip new 45 acp Stainless Ultra TLE - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2019, 02:39 PM   #1

First range trip new 45 acp Stainless Ultra TLE

Went out bright and early this morning and ran 100 230 gr. FMJ rounds though my new Ultra. I have the Kimber mag that shipped with it and 5 of the 7 round compact mags from Joe's Mag Mania. I shot a mix Federal American Eagle and Blazer Brass. All went downrange smooth as silk except one failure to feed of the last AE round from the Kimber mag which was round #70. I had noticed that the Kimber mag seems to have a weaker spring (noticeably easier to load rounds in) than the ones from Joe's. Hopefully, it was a fluke or a flinch, or that mag will go in the bottom of the range bag.

I then shot one mag of Browning 230 gr. BXP which is really an interesting ammo. It has a black nickel plated case and an X-point bullet. It seemed softer shooting than the FMJ rounds and fed perfectly.

All in all it was a terrific start. I got some great groups but all were an inch or so left at 10 yards. Could be me, could be the pistol. The trigger was amazing, and pre range read 4lbs 8 oz on my electronic Lyman trigger gauge.

..now to the cleaning bench.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2518.jpg (3.29 MB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2519.jpg (3.06 MB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2520.jpg (971.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2524.jpg (2.04 MB, 8 views)
Old 04-26-2019, 02:58 PM   #2

That’s great news. The Ultra TLE is a great carry and range gun.
Chuck43 and Bigdog like this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:54 PM   #3

Excellent. I have a carbon steel Pro TLE and don’t think I’ve had a misfead or ejection problem at all. I’ve put my reloads, 185 and 200 lead SWC and 230 ball both factory and home loads through it. At 50’ it shoots dead on POA.
.38SuperMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2019, 08:28 PM   #4

Great start with the new shooter Bigdog. I'm guessing things will only improve with break-in. Will be looking forward to the follow up report :-)
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:54 AM   #5

Those Browning SD rounds look interesting. I have used 230gr Federal HST and Remington Golden Saber without any problems in my Ultra TLE. For practice my TLE Ultra probably has shot more Blazer Brass than any other brand but FM, Remington UMC, Speer Lawman, American Eagle and Winchester WB all worked out just fine.
I think the shots to the left will improve with time. I’ve had some great range sessions with my Ultra TLE and I’ve had some not so great but never horrible.

When I picked up this gun in December of 2017 I was skeptical about buying another 3” barrel carry gun but this Ultra proved to me I was misguided in my thinking. I never really looked forward to shooting my other 3” barrel guns as much I do this one. I take it to the range almost every trip and not just to practice with a gun I carry. I bring it because it’s one of my favorite handguns. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.
Chuck43, Bigdog and Wingnut like this.
Old Yesterday, 03:24 AM   #6

I’ll have to second what JC45 said. I’ve come to think that the Kimber Ultra models are about as good as you can get. I know you’re going to come to the same conclusion. Enjoy.
Chuck43, JC45, Bigdog and 1 others like this.
Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:23 AM   #7

Originally Posted by JC45 View Post
I bring it because itís one of my favorite handguns. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.
I agree! It was fun to shoot, ran great and the trigger was amazing. Loved the grips. the balance and the trigger! I measured the trigger pull when I finished cleaning it, and here is a 5 pull average.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2526.jpg (2.18 MB, 0 views)
Chuck43, The Tourist and JC45 like this.
Old Yesterday, 09:41 AM   #8

That model is one of Kimber's best deals, excellent buy.

Good chance my next Kimber will be stainless, the Kim Pro doesn't hold up that well. But it doesn't really bother me either. Don't want them all looking the same, unless I am trying to keep one off the wife's radar.
JC45 and Bigdog like this.

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
KCJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:56 PM   #9

Originally Posted by KCJeep View Post
That model is one of Kimber's best deals, excellent buy.

Good chance my next Kimber will be stainless, the Kim Pro doesn't hold up that well....
I bought the Ultra TLE because I wanted night sights and a non-ambi safety for concealed carry. When I found a stainless one it was a done deal, because while I like two-tone, my experience with the black Kim Pro has not been perfect on my Micro 9. Kimber made it right (so far), but it made me nervous. While I consider pistols to be tools, I also like them to look like I've taken care of them, which I do.

I have a Glock 19 that I let rattle around in my truck. It's my "looks don't matter" pistol.
JC45 likes this.

Last edited by Bigdog; Yesterday at 05:58 PM.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:02 AM   #10

[QUOTE=KCJeep;917542]That model is one of Kimber's best deals, excellent buy

I think I did great as far as deals. It was around Christmas and I donít remember if it was a Black Friday deal or just a Christmas sale but it was old stock for $699.
Bigdog and cal45 like this.