Been tinkering with my new Kimber 9mm Target II. - Kimber Forum

Kimber


Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree23Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2019, 06:08 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: SE Minnesota
Posts: 24
Been tinkering with my new Kimber 9mm Target II.

I bought this gun to have a soft shooting range gun and something to tinker with. Had trouble from the get go with extraction and the trigger was a bit rough, so...

New EB extractor and EGW firing pin stop, carefully fitted.

Swartz parts have been temporarily removed.

Trigger bow and disconnector smoothed, I left the hammer and sear alone. This was my first time detail stripping a 1911. Far easier than I expected.

Since the slide was flinging brass far away and recoil was stiffer than I wanted, I installed a 22 pound ISMI mainspring and a Wolff 13 pound variable recoil spring. Slide velocity and recoil have been reduced with the heavier springs. Brass flies about 6' now.

Couldn't get it sighted in well, it shot high despite the rear sight turned all the way down, plus the front is a bit wide for target shooting at .135", so I bought a Dawson .215" high by .125" wide ramp front sight. Now I'm sighted in at 50 yards just a few clicks off the bottom. Perfect.

Just need a good magazine now. One of my Kimber mags won't lock the slide open and the one that works only hold 8 rounds. Prolly get a gen 2 Wilson, they're on sale at Brownell's right now.

At the range today the work paid off. Did some very nice shooting at 50 yards despite the dark, wet conditions. 100% reliability with the good mag. Pretty happy with the results.
Calliope is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-27-2019, 07:07 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
2sharp2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Chattanooga
Posts: 11,241
If you have not been following the issues of new member Mr. TXscooterguy, this is for you.

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!

When you have completed your "tinkering" and if you should decide for whatever reason your pistol needs a return trip to the mothership. If you don't reinstall ALL the factory original parts before sending it back to Kimber, then Kimber will restore your pistol to factory specs while it is there. (Yes, that means new parts will be installed "at your expense." Your fancy aftermarket parts may not be returned to you (probably not.)

Happy it is functioning well for you.
Tejun and ChattanoogaPhil like this.
__________________
The Kimber Family

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:13 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
PaulWVa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Dunbar, WVa
Posts: 1,512
Originally Posted by Calliope View Post
I bought this gun to have . something to tinker with.

Uh-oh . you're in trouble now.
Tejun and ChattanoogaPhil like this.
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 05-27-2019, 07:39 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: SE Minnesota
Posts: 24
Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
If you have not been following the issues of new member Mr. TXscooterguy, this is for you.

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!

When you have completed your "tinkering" and if you should decide for whatever reason your pistol needs a return trip to the mothership. If you don't reinstall ALL the factory original parts before sending it back to Kimber, then Kimber will restore your pistol to factory specs while it is there. (Yes, that means new parts will be installed "at your expense." Your fancy aftermarket parts may not be returned to you (probably not.)

Happy it is functioning well for you.
If I was ever going to send it in, it would have been right away when I had trouble. But like I said, this gun is for tinkering, and I want the satisfaction of fixing it myself and learning about the 1911 in the process. All the factory parts are unmodified and in a bag, just in case.

Originally Posted by PaulWVa View Post
Uh-oh . you're in trouble now.
Yeah, 'cause now it works?
Jflytle and ChattanoogaPhil like this.
Calliope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:47 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
2sharp2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Chattanooga
Posts: 11,241
Roger that. Carry on.
ChattanoogaPhil likes this.
__________________
The Kimber Family

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:43 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
RustyIron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: La Habra, California
Posts: 2,915
Originally Posted by Calliope View Post
But like I said, this gun is for tinkering, and I want the satisfaction of fixing it myself and learning about the 1911 in the process.
Right on, bro. Sounds like you've already made the pistol better than those wackadoodles at the Kimber Service Center ever could.

Maybe you could make a deal with Tex, and fix up his pistol that confounded the Service Center experts.
2sharp2, Tejun and ChattanoogaPhil like this.
__________________


Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:30 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
PaulWVa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Dunbar, WVa
Posts: 1,512
Originally Posted by Calliope View Post

Yeah, 'cause now it works?
Sorry ... I was "poking" at the anti-tinkering crowd. I'm all for you enjoying your T-2 anyway that suits your needs. I have the same gun by the way ... I love it!

I've done little to mine, adding only grips, mag well and a muzzle brake. I'm still breaking it in.
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 10:05 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: SE Minnesota
Posts: 24
Originally Posted by PaulWVa View Post
Sorry ... I was "poking" at the anti-tinkering crowd. I'm all for you enjoying your T-2 anyway that suits your needs. I have the same gun by the way ... I love it!

I've done little to mine, adding only grips, mag well and a muzzle brake. I'm still breaking it in.
Hey, no prob.

Wasn't planning on messing with it much when I bought it, but the extractor and FPS were pretty bad. I guess the main reason I did it myself was I wasn't willing to wait weeks for warranty repair.

Now I really love mine too. It cycles slick, the trigger is good, shoots where I point it, and it likes my handloads.

Thanks all.
Jflytle likes this.
Calliope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:06 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Taranaki, New Zealand
Posts: 16
Originally Posted by Calliope View Post
I bought this gun to have a soft shooting range gun and something to tinker with. Had trouble from the get go with extraction and the trigger was a bit rough, so...

New EB extractor and EGW firing pin stop, carefully fitted.

Swartz parts have been temporarily removed.

Trigger bow and disconnector smoothed, I left the hammer and sear alone. This was my first time detail stripping a 1911. Far easier than I expected.

Since the slide was flinging brass far away and recoil was stiffer than I wanted, I installed a 22 pound ISMI mainspring and a Wolff 13 pound variable recoil spring. Slide velocity and recoil have been reduced with the heavier springs. Brass flies about 6' now.

Couldn't get it sighted in well, it shot high despite the rear sight turned all the way down, plus the front is a bit wide for target shooting at .135", so I bought a Dawson .215" high by .125" wide ramp front sight. Now I'm sighted in at 50 yards just a few clicks off the bottom. Perfect.

Just need a good magazine now. One of my Kimber mags won't lock the slide open and the one that works only hold 8 rounds. Prolly get a gen 2 Wilson, they're on sale at Brownell's right now.

At the range today the work paid off. Did some very nice shooting at 50 yards despite the dark, wet conditions. 100% reliability with the good mag. Pretty happy with the results.
The mainspring effects trigger pull but should have no effect on the recoil. My Stainless Target II has been fitted with a #17 mainspring and a recoil reducing mainspring assembly. Brass is ejected much less than 6' away.

I would ask what your handholds are? My STII is a pussycat with 124 gn bullets @ 1080 fps.

As far as the hammer and sear go, do to touch them without a sear jig!!!! Brownells has the Ed Brown sear jig available at low cost. I also ordered a new sear pin so I don't have to use the one in my pistols. That way I can work on a spare sear and trigger and have it ready to go in my parts box if it is ever needed.

For mags, I bought the Wilson Combat 10 rounders from Dillon Precision last year. Have not had a single malfunction with these mags. Brownells have them too. Much better than the 10 round Mec Gars I got that only hold 9 rounds.
Chuck43 likes this.
Kiwi Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:04 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: SE Minnesota
Posts: 24
Originally Posted by Kiwi Cop View Post
The mainspring effects trigger pull but should have no effect on the recoil. My Stainless Target II has been fitted with a #17 mainspring and a recoil reducing mainspring assembly. Brass is ejected much less than 6' away.

I would ask what your handholds are? My STII is a pussycat with 124 gn bullets @ 1080 fps.

As far as the hammer and sear go, do to touch them without a sear jig!!!! Brownells has the Ed Brown sear jig available at low cost. I also ordered a new sear pin so I don't have to use the one in my pistols. That way I can work on a spare sear and trigger and have it ready to go in my parts box if it is ever needed.

For mags, I bought the Wilson Combat 10 rounders from Dillon Precision last year. Have not had a single malfunction with these mags. Brownells have them too. Much better than the 10 round Mec Gars I got that only hold 9 rounds.
I disagree about the mainspring not reducing recoil. I have my buddy's SA 45 Mil Spec on long term loan. He wanted me to see if I could get his Kimber rimfire conversion running reliably. I had to go to a 19 pound mainspring to get it running. When I put the 45 top end back on, recoil was far brisker with the 19 pound spring than it was with a 23. Maybe I'm just more sensitive to it.

On my gun the increased mainspring did increase trigger pull slightly. It's heavier but crisper than it used to be. Perfect. I don't like a real light pull as I like to shoot in winter. You don't want a light trigger with cold, numb fingers. 4 pound is my minimum, I'm prolly closer to 5 right now.

Hammer and sear I'm leaving alone, I don't have the right equipment or training to mess with the critical surfaces.

You must mean a recoil reducing recoil spring assembly. Is that the Sprinco system? Do you like it?

The first handloads I shot were leftovers from an old poly pistol. 4.2 grains HP39 under a 125 HAP. Then I brewed up some real wimps, 124 cast/coated over 3.5 grains WST. (worked up from 3.0 because there's little data on WST in 9mm). Now I'm shooting 115 JHPs over 4.7 grains HP38, closer to full power. Accuracy seems to improve with speed in the 9mm, so I'm still working up. Love HP38, soft muzzle blast compared to Bullseye or Power Pistol.

Factory brass was flying well over 10' when I first got it, even the wimp loads were flinging at least 6'. Now factory is less than 6' and the wimpy loads less than 3'.

As an arthritic old dude, I would like to hear more about your recoil reducer.

Last edited by Calliope; 06-06-2019 at 07:14 AM.
Calliope is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On