TLE R/L II aiming question - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2019, 08:03 PM   #1

TLE R/L II aiming question

I was hoping to get some advice from the group on accuracy.

I was at the range yesterday to practice my new Kimber. This is my first 1911 style pistol. With yesterdayís session Iíve put about 400 rds through it. Havenít really been worried about accuracy until now because Iíve been getting used to firing a 1911.

My question is at 15 yards, my shots all ended up about 2 inches. My group was spot on, but every shot was high.

When I brought the target back to about 7-10 yards I was still high but not as bad. I put my sight on top of the point I want to hit.

I donít consistently shoot high with an M&P 40, so Iím trying to figure out if Iím flinching or if there might be a sight poblem.

Iíve included a picture of the targets at 15 yds and 7-10 yds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
crwbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-28-2019, 09:03 PM   #2

Your groups look very good. My experience with 1911's would suggest that you might try a "lollipop" sight picture, where you put the target dot on top of the front sight post.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:08 AM   #3

Thank you CharlieW. Never considered that at all. Iíve always used the dots to align my shots and never really looked at accuracy out past short distances. Iíll try that alignment next time I am out.

Old 06-29-2019, 11:12 AM   #4

Hi, Crwbr.
Your bullet path is parabolic (an arc, to the non-math geek). Your bullet hitting high at 7 yards, and a little higher at 15 yards makes perfect sense. I think if you stretch it out to 50 yards, you might find that your projectile is hitting closer to zero. Of course your grouping will widen up, but that's a point for a whole 'nother discussion.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 02:00 PM   #5

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
Hi, Crwbr.
Your bullet path is parabolic (an arc, to the non-math geek). Your bullet hitting high at 7 yards, and a little higher at 15 yards makes perfect sense. I think if you stretch it out to 50 yards, you might find that your projectile is hitting closer to zero. Of course your grouping will widen up, but that's a point for a whole 'nother discussion.

Oh wow, RustyIron, thanks! I didnít realize there would be an arc. Just always assumed it was a straight line before gravity took over and it started to fall.

Old 06-29-2019, 04:26 PM   #6

Gravity waits for no man.

Check out the attached graphic. See how the barrel points UP in relation to your line of sight? You line up the sights with the target because light travels in a straight line (for the purposes of our discussion).

The projectile crosses your line of sight twice, so your gun is dead-nuts accurate at two distances. This is really important if you're a sniper or an Olympic shooter.

For me, I'm just like to get out, make a lot of noise, and if I can poke all the holes near the center of the target, I'm a happy man.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boreaxis.jpg (32.3 KB, 12 views)
Jflytle, JC45, PaulWVa and 3 others like this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 12:15 AM   #7

Originally Posted by crwbr View Post
Thank you CharlieW. Never considered that at all. Iíve always used the dots to align my shots and never really looked at accuracy out past short distances. Iíll try that alignment next time I am out.

Okay, If you are looking at the dots you are not looking at the front sight and your shots will go high!

This is because in a "proper" sight picture you should have your front sight in sharp focus with the top of the sight where you want your bullets to hit the target.

The dots are below the top of the front sigh so if you place the front sight dot on the target you are aiming high.

For defence shooting the dots will be "minute of offender" and not make any real difference, but for target shooting they are awful. A very good competition shooter I met last year told me he "uses the dots for rapid sight engagement then looks at the front sight only. It saves a fraction of a second per target in competition".

I do not like dots on my sights. The only gun I open with them I have blacked out the dots.

As for my duty pistol, I just ignore the bloody things.
crwbr likes this.
Kiwi Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 04:20 AM   #8

You have 3 dots, the 3 should be lined up with the target just over the center dot if it is set up right. I believe kimber sets up for 25 yards so it might still be a little high in closer.
Bigdog and crwbr like this.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:04 PM   #9

This is what I got back from Kimber when I asked how their sights were set:

Our pistols are going to have the sights regulated at 25 yards using a 230 gr bullet (in our 45 caliber guns) using sight picture #2 as shown below. The top edge of the front sight should split the target perfectly in half. Sight picture #3 is not as precise as more of the target is obscured Ė this is used for rapid fire/low light shooting where absolute accuracy isnít required, but for precision shooting use hold #2.

This is the photo I included with my question;

CharlieW, Maineiac64 and Bigdog like this.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:31 PM   #10

Yeah, number 2 sight picture works for me.
Jflytle and Bigdog like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)