Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree11Likes
  • 6 Post By ChattanoogaPhil
  • 3 Post By cousinmark
  • 2 Post By Bigdog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2019, 05:56 AM   #1

Targets

When shooting at the range I set my targets at 15 yards and about head and chest height. I have no problems, but if set Higher or lower Im all over the place meaning too high or low. Any tips or help would be great. I know Ill get it sooner or later but I get frustrated. Thanks.
427malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-24-2019, 07:36 AM   #2

My guess is that you're aligning the sights consistently in the position you're most comfortable, but when adjusting holds lower/higher you're not using the same or consistent sight alignment. By sight alignment I mean the front sight being aligned on the same plane with the rear, whether you're using the top edge of the sights or aligning dots.

Don't know what targets you're using, but I'd start a bit closer than 15 yards. With a light colored magic marker (not black) put a dot as small as you can reasonably see on a white paper background. It will help to more easily determine sight alignment and eventually be more consistent. The dot will help show how much you're moving around while trying to hold on it, and help determine that you're using the same sight picture. Once ya think ya got a more consistent sight alignment with different holds high/middle/low, then I'd start alternating every shot.

Have fun.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 07-24-2019 at 07:47 AM.
ChattanoogaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 11:08 AM   #3

I'd suggest paying close attention that you are focusing your eye/eyes on the front sight. Get your sights aligned on target then deliberately refocus on the front sight, don't worry if the target goes blurry, keep your focus on the front sight, just a thought. As Phil said 15 yards is out there, maybe give things a go at 7 or 10...
cousinmark is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2019, 12:12 PM   #4

or 5 yards....get it figured out then move the targets back in 2 or 3 yard stages.
Rick in Oregon and 427malibu like this.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:17 PM   #5

learn to shoot far and close will be a piece of cake
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote