Have I erred lubing my Ultra? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2019, 08:37 PM   #1

Have I erred lubing my Ultra?

Good evening all! So 500 rounds of break-in have gone down range and with the exception of two failure to feeds (both today) in the high 300's and low 400's round count everything went smoothly. I have done nothing to the gun except to wipe it down with a silicone gun and reel cloth after range sessions so I am very pleased with it's resilience! Anyways, gave the little bugger a bath with G96 Crud Cutter and bore swabs (great for scraping the stubborn carbon!), followed by inspecting the parts and a FP10 lube job. Reassembled easy peasy except the grip safe was making an annoying squeaking noise! Popped the slide off and gave the thumb safety axle a wee drop of FP10 and reassembled. Squeak gone! Then I put the slide on and the squeak came back. Finally diagnosed that it was the little vertical plunger in the slide (part of the Schwartz safety) that was balking. Depressed it, added a drop of FP10 and the squeak left permanently! Yay! But... I believe this assembly has a direct conduit to the firing pin channel. So... did I goof?

EDIT: Being my paranoid self I stripped the slide back down and all is well! The firing pin, spring, and channel are all dry...
Chuck43, Jflytle, DaVinci and 2 others like this.

Last edited by nikonnut; 08-24-2019 at 09:26 PM.
nikonnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-24-2019, 11:03 PM   #2

Well, I think you've discovered a weakness in your cleaning/lubrication ritual.

It's not that there isn't a time and place for hosing down the gun with aerosol cleaners, as long as it's understood that everything will need to be lubricated afterwards.

I wouldn't get too excited about a little bit of lubricant migrating into the firing pin channel. Hammer fired guns aren't as sensitive as SOME striker fired guns.
Chuck43, nikonnut and daocutter42 like this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 11:36 PM   #3

Talking

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
Well, I think you've discovered a weakness in your cleaning/lubrication ritual.

It's not that there isn't a time and place for hosing down the gun with aerosol cleaners, as long as it's understood that everything will need to be lubricated afterwards.

I wouldn't get too excited about a little bit of lubricant migrating into the firing pin channel. Hammer fired guns aren't as sensitive as SOME striker fired guns.
This is true and I'm sure in the last century countless 1911's have had their firing pins lubed with no ill effects but... Slam fire is real and no bueno on a carry gun. It was just something that crossed my mind. You know... Moving part 1 moves ANOTHER moving part that has access to a no lube point via a moving part. So if I lube moving part 1 because it squeaks...

Last edited by nikonnut; 08-25-2019 at 01:18 AM.

Old 08-25-2019, 06:51 AM   #4

I wouldn't worry about it, but as Rusty said, those cleaners which strip everything away mean extra care in re-lubing things that have become well lubricated during proper care, maintenance and use.

In can you've mis-placed it...here is the lubrication section of your owners's manual. I usually print this page for each of the different types of pistols that I have and keep them with my cleaning supplies. My brain is getting old and I have at least 5 varieties of pistols.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-08-25 at 8.45.35 AM.png (117.3 KB, 15 views)
Old 08-25-2019, 10:46 AM   #5

Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
I wouldn't worry about it, but as Rusty said, those cleaners which strip everything away mean extra care in re-lubing things that have become well lubricated during proper care, maintenance and use.

In can you've mis-placed it...here is the lubrication section of your owners's manual. I usually print this page for each of the different types of pistols that I have and keep them with my cleaning supplies. My brain is getting old and I have at least 5 varieties of pistols.
Thank you, sir! I actually did read that but they don't offer a more complete lube regimen for a detail strip (Trust me I understand they don't want the average owner completely stripping a 1911 but we aren't average now are we. ) so I'm learning as I go. I'm also learning that my next Kimber will be one of the non II models...

Last edited by nikonnut; 08-25-2019 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:06 PM   #6

Originally Posted by nikonnut View Post
Thank you, sir! I actually did read that but they don't offer a more complete lube regimen for a detail strip (Trust me I understand they don't want the average owner completely stripping a 1911 but we aren't average now are we. ) so I'm learning I go. I'm also learning that my next Kimber will be one of the non II models...
No we're not and good decision!
Old 08-25-2019, 02:00 PM   #7

Originally Posted by nikonnut View Post
I'm also learning that my next Kimber will be one of the non II models...
I may have missed it elsewhere so could you be so kind as to please expound for another newbie.

Or

Why shy away from II models?
Bish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 04:12 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Bish View Post
Why shy away from II models?

The Kimber II series uses a Swartz Safety.

For decades, the early 1911's had the nasty habit of firing when dropped onto the ground. Remember the first run of Sig P320's from a couple years ago? The modern millennial gun forum followers nearly wet themselves when a couple youtubers discovered that they could get the P320 to fire when it was dropped "just so" onto a hard surface. They would have curled up into a ball in the corner had someone told them that John Moses Browning's baby did that for decades.

In the 1930's, Colt employee William Swartz solved the problem with his new firing pin block. His system is operated by the grip safety. It was used for a couple years, but the specs from the U.S. Government didn't call for a firing pin block, so the Swartz Safety was dropped.

Decades later, Colt adopted a trigger-operated firing pin block, but the modern millennial forum followers... oops... wait... this was before millennials and forums. Nevertheless, a lot of people didn't like the trigger-operated safety either.

But I've really jumped the tracks here, and better get back to the point before that moderator guy lowers the boom.

People don't like the Swartz Safety because it doesn't work right if not properly adjusted. It blocks both the trigger and the firing pin. If things are out of whack, the gun won't run right.
Chuck43 and nikonnut like this.

Join the NRA

Last edited by RustyIron; 08-25-2019 at 04:15 PM.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:31 PM   #9
Super Moderator

If it was a range gun I wouldn't worry about it, if it was a carry gun then cleaning the firing pin, spring and channel was the right thing to do.

I own both series I and II guns, my EDC is an Ultra Tactical II. I equally trust all the guns that I own. It's not difficult to learn to test the timing of a series II gun or have a competent gunsmith do it.
JC45 and nikonnut like this.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:47 PM   #10

Not sure how to multi quote so...
Bish,
No real complaints with the Series II my friend. I have two and they both shoot very well! The "lower case d" part is a pain to re-install but assuming all is working correctly no worries!

Rusty,
I agree whole heartedly. Didn't Wilson combat "fix" the drop issue with a .030" shorter firing pin and a heavier firing pin spring back in the day? I think I remember it was a talking point and even made California happy for a few seconds Gotta love our litigious society I guess? The 320 thing did seem like a legit concern but I digress...

Chuck,
I probably protested to loudly about the Schwartz safety but I have been around a slam fire and that would hard to explain. I do love my Ultra II and my Pro TLE II and both have no timing issues (Thank you YouTube). Lesson learned and for hardcore cleanings I will remember to oil the plunger and then swab out the ejector and firing pin channels just to be safe! Having said that... I "might" have picked up a Warrior SOC that is a Series I. Basspro had it marked down deep! Like 32% off MSRP deep!
Chuck43 likes this.

Last edited by nikonnut; 08-26-2019 at 11:17 AM.