Kimber 9mm Stainless LW - Page 2 - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2020, 02:39 PM   #11

I agree with Arland, it’s your gun and you can do what you want. There are so many effective 9mm rounds out there to use, why abuse the gun with +P+ Ammo ?
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-18-2020, 03:41 PM   #12

Personally I stay with proven ammo. My work (ok past employer) went Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +p in about 1994. Since then we had many successful and DRT shootings. Several through auto glass which is extremely hard on a projectile.

Many agencies carry that load. Why go with a load with little reputation...aka “kills”.
2sharp2 likes this.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:49 PM   #13

Wow, this some forum. Thanks for all replies. I have shot FMJ about 300 rounds and I grip high so I’m probably causing a failed slide lock. I have put 20 Cor-Bon +p 115 JHP through it. The funny thing is, it functions perfect with it including slide lock on empty (every time). I think I’m going to settle for that. I saw a velocity chart “ballistics by the inch” and it showed a 5” Kimber at 1411 FPS = over 500 ft/lbs. I also tried Civil Defense and again, no drive pipe on last round or failed to slide lock. This gun runs better on +p than Remington UMC 115 FMJ. Is my spring too strong?
3GunNoob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2020, 12:55 PM   #14

I,m gonna try some 124 grain nato to see if it runs better. By the way, this gun is not a plinking or competition gun. It’s for Church Security only. It will be carried only and hopefully never used except to test it now and then. I will put 1000 fmj through it first.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:57 PM   #15

Sounds like break in to me. The Nato is a good idea, it's pretty warm. Bet it runs great.

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
KCJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 04:04 PM   #16

KC Jeep mentioned trying nato. I’m wondering if my spring is to strong for regular plinking ammo. I never get slide locks and can get stove pipes when it gets dirty. I already said this but it has not hiccuped at all with stronger ammo. I’d rather have it this way than the other way though.
Old 02-19-2020, 06:12 PM   #17

Originally Posted by 3GunNoob View Post
I,m gonna try some 124 grain nato to see if it runs better. By the way, this gun is not a plinking or competition gun. Itís for Church Security only. It will be carried only and hopefully never used except to test it now and then. I will put 1000 fmj through it first.
Ok, I was going to stay out of the discussion. I get the idea but really must strongly disagree with the implementation. +P+ for church security is a dangerous idea. Over penetration. In a place with several bystanders you could hurt someone and you would have to live with that. I know the drill about new bullet design but distance does come into play. Safety first is part of the reason you will be there and much prayer you will never be needed.
Chuck43 likes this.
RickByus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 05:51 AM   #18

Thank you for all replies again. The advice did not fall on deaf ears. I’m going to shelf the +p+ ammo and only use Corbon +p periodically to keep my accuracy. I was very accurate with it and practice 2 to 3 times a week with my 3 gun weapons. CZ Orange 9mm, Remington versa Competition and Sig Tread.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:53 PM   #19

Does anyone know for sure stock recoil spring for 9mm.