Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2020, 04:01 AM   #21

Are you going to carry it?
Old 07-05-2020, 08:31 AM   #22

Originally Posted by JBear View Post
Are you going to carry it?
A full size/weight 1911 could only be carried in the winter time due to concealment issues (not very cold very often where I'm at). Maybe carried 15% of the time if at all. If it was shorter & lighter it would be carried about 50% of the time.
antilamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:53 PM   #23

$500 with the Crimson grip + ammo sounds like a GREAT deal to me...I've been looking at new ones for $1350.

Scratches bug me too, even ones you have to tilt in the light to see. But I would jump at that, and if it shot well and I liked it I might have the slide refinished.

If I were selling that gun I'd be asking more like $900
Czechbikr likes this.
Timbers9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2020, 09:07 AM   #24

Itís a personal thing.. Iím OCD so it would bother me.. but If I got a good deal.. mmmmm donít know..Now I do have a S&W shield that I carry at times in winter and it has a couple of scratches that I did.. but itís a 400 dollar gun.. runs great and I donít worry about it.. high dollar for me Iím super picky and careful
azdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:17 PM   #25

Late to the party, but I have also seen a number of used Master Carry Pros that have either scratches or just rubbing holster wear on the slide all the way to the metal. I really like the bobtail and laser grip of the MCP but the apparent tendency gives me pause, even if I were to get one that is in excellent condition.

2sharp2 and others who have MCs, do you find the finish to be "fragile" compared to other finishes?

One of the posts here refers to "Kimber ejection port chips" or to that effect. Is chipping common with Kimber's paint type coatings?
Old 10-13-2020, 06:25 PM   #26

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
IMO, in todays market for that less than perfect firearm my max payout for it would be $800.
Two years ago that pistol would have brought 1K all day long used but not now.
What changed with regard to the Master Carry to lower it's value as you say? Flaws discovered over time, like the coating wearing? Crowded market for 1911s? Declining interest in 1911s?

I only recently got interested in 1911s though I've been shooting all my life. Not a huge fan of plastic.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:16 PM   #27

Originally Posted by Timbers9 View Post
What changed with regard to the Master Carry to lower it's value as you say? Flaws discovered over time, like the coating wearing? Crowded market for 1911s? Declining interest in 1911s?

I only recently got interested in 1911s though I've been shooting all my life. Not a huge fan of plastic.

I guess just life in general changed. Resale value of used Kimber's are pretty high/good (depending if you are selling or buying) 2017, 2018, maybe mid year 2019 values started dropping and stayed down until Covid hit March/April 2020.
In 2019 I considered selling my Master Carry Pro (which is LNIB) checking my records of dollar amount I had invested, the amount I was wanting/needing to get out of it, I felt was more than someone would pay. So I never posted it for sale.
Now people are buying everything and paying whatever prices.
About only used I'm seeing is mid and high end custom.

Well known fact Kimber has had issues with some batches of finish and it affected different model batches at different times. It's not just the Master Carry line.
My Master Carry Pro still looks new but it has never been in a holster and does not have a big round count.
ChattanoogaPhil likes this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

Kimber 84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
Kimber SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
Kimber 84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:42 PM   #28

Hell I've got dents and dings too, my guns better have em or I get jealous!!
Bobk22 is offline   Reply With Quote