Scratches on Slide, would you still buy it? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2020, 12:54 AM   #1

Scratches on Slide, would you still buy it?

I'm buying a Master Carry Custom with unknown round count and have noticed 3 small scratches on the right slide as well as a scratch on the top. I've not seen very many at the various auction sites which I believe is due to it being a full size, it's not as popular as the 4" and shorter barrel variants. Look over the photos and tell me your honest appraisal of what the gun is worth/what youd pay for it. I'm not comfortable with scratches on my weapons (a personal thing). How much does the scratches take away on the value?
A little research shows around $110 for slide refinish plus shipping both ways. I think the dark slide finish must not be very robust to scratch so easily.
What are your thoughts?
antilamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-01-2020, 05:42 AM   #2

That probably wouldn't deter me if the price is competitive. If you plan on carrying it you will also add your own holster wear. It doesn't appear that the scratch goes through to bare metal. You might ask the seller if it does.

And welcome to the forum from another newbie!
Bobk22 likes this.
Czechbikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 05:47 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum from Northeast Pa.

If the price was right it wouldn’t bother me. I would add the $110 to the price to determine if the price is still good.
JC45 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2020, 06:11 AM   #4
Super Moderator

The scratches wouldn't bother me if the price was good. The Master Carry series came with Crimson Trace Laser grips, is the seller including them with the gun?
Doons and Oldtimer39 like this.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:26 AM   #5

Originally Posted by JC45 View Post
Welcome to the forum from Northeast Pa.

If the price was right it wouldn’t bother me. I would add the $110 to the price to determine if the price is still good.

No, the price would not be good. Especially with the shipping needing to be added on top.

Here's another picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kimber Master Carry Custom feed ramp & barrel.jpg (82.2 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by antilamr; 07-01-2020 at 07:40 AM.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:28 AM   #6

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
The scratches wouldn't bother me if the price was good. The Master Carry series came with Crimson Trace Laser grips, is the seller including them with the gun?
Yes, also comes with original laser grips, case & lock.

What would everyone feel a "good price" would be?

Owner is throwing in a few hundred rounds of WW range ammo. I haven't bought it yet so don't feel like you'll upset me if your prices are lower than what the oqner is asking.

Here's a few more photos. Notice the scratch in top of the slide. Appears to go down to metal.

Last edited by antilamr; 07-01-2020 at 07:41 AM.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:42 AM   #7

Originally Posted by antilamr View Post
What would everyone feel a "good price" would be?
Gunbroker:

NIB for $1400 + $40 shipping.

Used, showing Kimbo-leum chips around the ejection port $900 + $125 shipping

The minor blemish on the gun your looking at isn't even a thing if the gun is going to be shot.
Wingnut and Bobk22 like this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:03 AM   #8
Banned

Here's what I did. I looked over all my 1911-style firearms and decided which one would be my CCW item. Then I holstered it and forgot about it.

Here's the logic. Over time we ignore the first scratch on a new pair of boots, or yikes, a ding on a new car! But if we are to enjoy the things we worked hard to secure, then locking them up in a dark room never to be enjoyed is simply a waste.

I did buy a P238 with a diamond-plate slide. The only dings on the pistol so far are on the hood of barrel from cycling and firing. I made sure I had a proper and secure holster for that defensive firearm, and that alone protects most of the pistol.
RustyIron likes this.
The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:19 AM   #9

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
Gunbroker:

NIB for $1400 + $40 shipping.

Used, showing Kimbo-leum chips around the ejection port $900 + $125 shipping

The minor blemish on the gun your looking at isn't even a thing if the gun is going to be shot.
Thanks RustyIron. When I looked on GB last week there wasn't any Custom (5" barrel) models to compare to.

My last Kimber was a Custom II, magwell, fiber optics, trigger job etc.
That gun was shot extensivelly and never had a scratch on the slide.
I'm concerned that the slide finish is not as good as the standard Kimber blued finish.
Old 07-01-2020, 08:36 AM   #10
Super Moderator

I think the $900.00 Rob posted would be a good neighborhood.

Hopefully things won't get so stupid that you'll have to have the "Master" removed and "Primary" engraved in it's place.
CharlieW, Wingnut and Fred_G like this.