My first Kimber - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 06:12 AM   #1

My first Kimber

Got an eclipse and really love it, it's a great pistol. I was wanting to polish it up and bit in order for it to be smoother. I racked a Taurus 1911 of a buddies yesterday and it was so smooth...he said he had sent it to a guy to have it polished and whatnot. I have his name but hesitate sending a $1500 gun to a local guy in his garage...any thoughts on a reputable smith I can send my gun to and have it come back smooth as butter? Thanks!!
hecklerxkoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-05-2014, 06:32 AM   #2

I would shoot it for at least 500 rounds before I did anything to it, It will smooth out a lot by that time as well if any problems show up they can be address by Kimber before any mods are made.
Fleamac likes this.
v35b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:03 AM   #3

Welcome from NY. send it back to the kimber custom shop.
bigdog10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2014, 08:05 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum hecklerxkoch, is your eclipse new? How many rounds have you run through it? After the initial break in all of my Kimbers are butter smooth, what helps is that I like to sit in front of the TV at night and rack the slide and dry fire my guns. I wouldn't let anyone do anything to your Kimber, if it's already broken and you feel it isn't right then contact Kimber.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:13 AM   #5

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
I like to sit in front of the TV at night and rack the slide
Great... There's an image I didn't need.
Marshall likes this.
Fleamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:17 AM   #6

I agree with others above, wait until you have broken it in. By that time you can do some research on a qualified pistol smith.

I live in a smaller town (45000 pop). I like many, am intrigued by the thought that someone from out of town or far away, certainly would be more knowledgeable and suited to working on any of MY guns.

There was a local guy that I have known to exist for decades. But surely someone from several hundreds of miles away would be better. After doing an exhaustive search both on this forum and others, low and behold the local guy I new of came as one of the most notable and recommended gunsmiths and even doing work for some Navy seals on a personal basis. So do your research and you might be surprised at what you find.

However for warranty sake, I think it would be smart to wait until the break in period is over.
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:43 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Fleamac View Post
Great... There's an image I didn't need.
OK, if that's too much for you LOL, then there's always "Plan B".
Marshall likes this.

Last edited by Chuck43; 01-05-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:52 AM   #8

Please don't express plan B. Plan a was enough!
Fleamac and Marshall like this.
sbubrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:32 PM   #9

Thanks for all the info! How many rounds should I fire through it before it is broken in? I have tons of guns, but never had a 1911, mostly heckler and koch... I was always turned off by the 8 round mag of the 1911...lol, after getting this Kimber I can't believe I turned them away for polymer for so long!

Maybe I need to get info on proper cleaning and lubing...any suggestions on a good place to get pretty detailed information besides simply googling it and wasting time on people that don't know what they're talking about?

Would it help to rack the slide back and forth? I'd like to get the butter soft feeling without a ton of lube which is why I looked into polishing, but like I said I'm pretty new to 1911's

Thanks again for the info!
hecklerxkoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:47 PM   #10

Every question you have asked is in the owners manual.That being said,my 3 Kimbers started racking much smoother around the 50 round mark.You can also rack your slide while sitting on the couch and speed up the process.I always clean and lube my firearms right out of the box and never have had a problem with them.Just follow the manual on correct break-in procedure and proper ammo...Be patient and the "butter"slide will come natural.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

bought my first kimber

Click on a term to search for related topics.