Added value for Custom Shop on Compact Stainless II - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2016, 09:05 PM   #1

Added value for Custom Shop on Compact Stainless II

I am new to Kimber 1911's and have found a custom shop compact stainless II with Crimson Laser grips on it, and was wondering how much the custom shop adds in value and what was actually done to it in the custom shop? Pistol appears to be new in the box, and shows no evidence of being fired, but can't be guaranteed.

Last edited by jgaff; 01-17-2016 at 09:41 PM.
jgaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-18-2016, 07:02 AM   #2

JGAFF,

Welcome from Northern Illinois. The Stainless II line of pistols are currently up on the Kimber web site. Not sure what you mean by compact, but the Ultra line which is a 3" barrel and the Pro line has a 4" barrel. None of the current models have the Crimson Trace option, but they have previously, so someone else will chime in here. Over the years Kimber has had a few lines that were stamped as Custom Shop pistols, which meant they went through some extra fitting and had some extra's installed, but I would call them semi-custom. These could add a couple hundred $'s to the price. If you have some pictures you can post it would help this group ID the model and any unique features.
Jflytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:31 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois jgaff, I just did a quick search in my Kimber catalog and couldn't find a compact (short grip with 4" barrel) stainless II with LG. If you could post a picture it would help.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:26 AM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to krunchnik
Primarily the compact is in essence a Pro Carry II with the officers size grip frame.I do not know years of manufacture but these are very nice for a daily carry weapon due to the shorter grip.I had a Springfield Compact that was nearly the same-4 inch barrel and officers frame.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:30 AM   #5

There is a compact stainless II 4 " barrel listed on the doj list for California. No laser mentioned. It sounds to me it someone may have added the grips. It is possible it was never fired or fired very little. As far as the custom shop designation a lot of there guns come from the factory custom shop on the slide. I believe that line of pistols may have a few more features on them than other Kimbers. It does not mean it has received custom work like an Ed brown or Les Baer.
Trex likes this.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 12:59 AM   #6

Wink ....And Then It Was Gone!

There used to be a Compact Stainless II cataloged. In fact, it was there last year. Like my beloved Pro Carry II, it has been discontinued. They still have the Stainless Pro Carry II, but no blued/black model.

The Compact Stainless obviously has joined the Pro Carry as a "Red Headed Step Child"!!

BTW, the Custom Shop marking only designates a pistol that has additional accessories/features not offered on regular production line guns. There is no additional gunsmithing/hands on work performed on the pistol. Sounds good, though, don't it?? The laser grips were most likely after market and installed by the previous owner.

Just send us some pictures. Work up a range report. We'll be real happy to look at both. Shoot the hell out of your new (to you) Compact and enjoy it. Be safe!!

Welcome to Kimber Talk from beautiful downtown Monroe, Georgia!!
Monroe City Limits (3).JPG

the most interesting man....jpg

Stay Armed, My Friend!!
Chuck43 likes this.

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:12 PM   #7

Kimber Compact Stainless II

I have the same gun and it did in fact come with the Crimson Trace grips from the factory. I have not been able to find this gun referenced anywhere either. Any idea on the value of this gun?

Last edited by rickyvinny; 02-26-2016 at 10:16 PM.
rickyvinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 05:53 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois RickyVinny, how about going over to our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:41 AM   #9

Thanks

Thanks Chuck.
rickyvinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:20 AM   #10

Originally Posted by jgaff View Post
I am new to Kimber 1911's and have found a custom shop compact stainless II with Crimson Laser grips on it, and was wondering how much the custom shop adds in value and what was actually done to it in the custom shop? Pistol appears to be new in the box, and shows no evidence of being fired, but can't be guaranteed.
This may be a little older version of the Compact Stainless that did come from factory with the Crimson Trace or was ordered or added later. A call to Kimber Customer Service with the Serial number will reveal the build date. Up to a certain year maybe late 2013 or 2014(I can't remember the exact date) "Custom Shop" until it was ended custom shop meant each pistol received more hands on and precise fitting. If it was indeed made before the factory ended that program it could maybe add value but it may just work out to being a little more accurate. But for the most part I say Custom Shop by todays standards do not add any value.

I was unable to find any Compact Stainless with a Crimson Trace listed on GunBroker. You can buy a Compact Stainless with Black plain grips for as little as $775.00 and up to $975 depending on seller. We know Crimson Trace grips msrp for around $339 they can be bought for a little less sometimes on Ebay and Amazon.
Don't know the price on the one you are looking at but maybe you can find these numbers helpful.

If it is in fact NIB, that's good IMO the CT grips would add more value than Custom Shop on the slide. When you get up to the $900 and higher price range you can buy newer Kimber's with more bells and extras for $1,000.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308