slide stop question? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2016, 07:43 PM   #1

slide stop question?

...went to pick up my new PRO CDP II 9mm earlier. Unfortunately the guy at my range who handles transfers had an emergency and wasn't there today. So no range report till tomorrow (I hope). I was able to look her over though :-) she's hot :-)
...I decided to tear her down and see how the L tool did, no problems, all went fine except getting the slide stop to seat all the way in when reassembling? Took me several tries? It was impeded by the spring loaded tab that comes out of the safety linkage. I'm not exactly sure what I did to get it to slip by the tab? I'm thinking it'll be easy enough to use a playing card like a shoe horn but if there's a trick i figured this would be the place to learn it. Any thoughts?
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-22-2016, 07:48 PM   #2

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
...went to pick up my new PRO CDP II 9mm earlier. Unfortunately the guy at my range who handles transfers had an emergency and wasn't there today. So no range report till tomorrow (I hope). I was able to look her over though :-) she's hot :-)
...I decided to tear her down and see how the L tool did, no problems, all went fine except getting the slide stop to seat all the way in when reassembling? Took me several tries? It was impeded by the spring loaded tab that comes out of the safety linkage. I'm not exactly sure what I did to get it to slip by the tab? I'm thinking it'll be easy enough to use a playing card like a shoe horn but if there's a trick i figured this would be the place to learn it. Any thoughts?
I use a guitar pick. Cheap, fits in your pocket, range bag easy.
Prevents the "idiot" scratch.
Lineman, Markie and cousinmark like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:59 PM   #3
Super Moderator

That's the plunger tube, it has a spring in it that holds both the slide stop and safety in place. This is how idiot scratches happen, until either the spring loosens up or you get better at it I'd suggest placing a piece of electrical tape on the frame before attempting to reinsert the slide stop.
Marshall and cousinmark like this.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:09 PM   #4

Any thin piece of plastic will do to help protect the finish.
cousinmark likes this.
MPO Southy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:15 PM   #5

Best easiest modification that any end user can do. A few semi custom makers do it as standard.

I do it to most..

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=214653
MPO Southy and cousinmark like this.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:18 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to loadedround
You can also use a business card between the slide stop and the frame to prevent ''that scratch'' and they're free for the asking.
MPO Southy and cousinmark like this.
loadedround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:21 PM   #7

thanks guys :-)

...I'll probably try both of those ideas, I'll need to get some light picks. I like the .88 green Tortex for playing. They may be a touch thick :-)
...concept wise? Am I wanting to drop straight in or rotate counter clockwise and up? With my Micro I can drop straight in, with the CDP that's not happening without a pick or the card as far as I can tell? No "IDIOT MARKS" thus far by the way and I'd like to keep it that way.
MPO Southy likes this.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:38 AM   #8

Cool Oh Yeah!!!

Come on, Mark! The pistol isn't officially yours until you have left the first scratch on it!!! My Pro Carry II has an idiot scratch on it. I'm proud of it!! That makes the gun uniquely mine!!

I'm a business card man myself, now. I have no guitar picks, because I sold my last guitar years ago. Neither of my kids cared to learn and the arthritis in my hands just made it nearly impossible to play. At one time, I was quite good.

I have a whole pile of business cards that my daughter gave me when I retired. They have my name on the top in very fancy print. Under that in bold letters, it says: RETIRED The final line states that I now specialize in HUNTING, FISHING AND NAPPING!!

Suites me fine!!
cousinmark and Loki1967 like this.

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:04 AM   #9

Originally Posted by lineman73 View Post
Come on, Mark! The pistol isn't officially yours until you have left the first scratch on it!!! My Pro Carry II has an idiot scratch on it. I'm proud of it!! That makes the gun uniquely mine!!

That's true the first time I broke my CDP down watched a you tube video on taking apart a 1911 and putting it back together he didn't mention not to swing the takedown pin up the frame and that's what I did. And now I have an idiot scratch. Oh well that just means it's my EDC pistol now without worrying about what it looks like.
cousinmark likes this.
mpulford311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:29 AM   #10

hey neighbor :-)

Originally Posted by lineman73 View Post

I'm a business card man myself, now. I have no guitar picks, because I sold my last guitar years ago. Neither of my kids cared to learn and the arthritis in my hands just made it nearly impossible to play. At one time, I was quite good.

I have a whole pile of business cards that my daughter gave me when I retired. They have my name on the top in very fancy print. Under that in bold letters, it says: RETIRED The final line states that I now specialize in HUNTING, FISHING AND NAPPING!!

Suites me fine!!
We're just up the road in Watkinsville :-) Knowing you're there I'll feel safer driving through Monroe from now on :-) My guitars stay safely stowed in their cases more than not nowadays,a few years ago, one of the first things my daughter climbed was a sofa to get at one! The guitar wound up ok, but you want to think about an ugly "IDIOT MARK" add this up: TODDLER+SHARPIE(or worse)+D18= "I don't want to know" :-)
... on the stop, I wasn't sure if the fact it wouldn't "pop" in easily meant i was doing something wrong? Judging from the replies looks like I'm ok on that one. Wasn't thinking a business card would be stiff enough but sounds like they'll do (thanks for the suggestions everyone). Hopefully the transfer guy will be in at the range today and I'll get a chance to try it out???