• 1 Post By Islander
  • 3 Post By fifthgear
  • 2 Post By 2sharp2
  • 1 Post By Cucamonga kid
  • 2 Post By Chuck43

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2016, 02:17 PM   #1

2-5-16 range report .22 conversion kit

Today I went to the range to test my Kimber .22 conversion kit on my Ultra CDP II frame. I also needed to test my Walther after some hammer alterations but I'll leave that for the rimfire channels. I don't see a rimfire specific category so I hope it's alright to post it here with the big boy guns.

I knew from you guys and other sources that I needed to run high velocity ammo. Fortunately that's all I ever shoot. I tested the gun with the array I usually shoot. Here's the ammo:

1. Aguila supermaximum; hyper velocity, 30 grain, 1750 fps. These are supposedly the fastest .22 rimfire made. Always enough blowback to cycle all of my automatics. It has a very strong peculiar power smell when shot. Usually very reliable

2. CCI Stinger; hyper velocity, 32 grain, 1640 fps. My favorite ammo. Always cycles all my automatics. I saw a youtube video that showed it only measured 1190 fps out of a 4" barrel but that's still hummin. The case is longer and isn't made to shoot in a match grade rifle chamber.

3. CCI mini-mag; high velocity,40 grain,1235 fps. My go-to ammo for reliability in pistol cycling and always fire. CCI is about the cleanest ammo I have found in .22. (as if clean is really clean in 22 ammo) For plinking I do like the 36 grain mini-mags better.

4. Winchester M22. A bulk ammo that I had bought 6000 rounds of before the scarcity. I'm telling ya...this is every bit a CCI mini-mag clone. It has a black coated bullet but the power and reliability has been right in line with CCI mms for me. No duds that I have found, cycles every gun I got. Some say it's a tab bit dirtier but I haven't noticed that.

5. Armscore; high velocity, 36 grain, 1260 fps. It has the bullet shape similar to Remington golden bullets which I never liked much. They are copper plated(washed), have good velocity to cycle but are very dirty. They also are a little waxy for my liking and duds are common like in the other bulk ammo.

Now for the gun:
I decided to start at 7 yards using my favorite, CCI stingers. I use them sparingly because the 3500 rounds I bought a few years ago @ 10 cents a round are now selling @37 cents+ when you can find them. The target is a little misleading because although it is a silhouette it is much smaller. The orange stick-on dots on the last target picture are the size of a penny. After a few fast reloads I brought it in for a picture. The gun functioned flawlessly.
Next I took it to 15 yards to see if I could get some headshots. I used CCI mini-mags. I hit the head with a few fliers. I know the purpose of this conversion is to practice with .22s with sights like on the 45 slide but for precise shooting I wish they were a little thinner. I spared no ammo in this test with no malfunctions at all.
Next ammo was the Winchester M22. Lovely...smooth as silk. brought the target in to 30 ft for some rapid fire. I love the feel of this gun.

Started to run out of places to shoot at where I could tell where I was hitting so I stuck my ole stick-on dots on the target and switched to the Aguila. Lots of power and plenty of muzzle flash to put on a good show for the big boys. Pretty loud too. What a peculiar smell though. Ran great.
Last ammo was the Armscor. I had bought this the most recently when I thought I better buy something instead of shooting up my favorites. The velocity is great. Cycling no problem and chambering never failed. Halfway through the first 50 rounds I had a dud. Re-cocked and the second strike fired it. One other round did that but it was in my Walther P22.

So I ran through lots of ammo and no malfunctions of the gun at all. I am REALLY impressed. I say that because my Walther needed a little custom fine tuning with the hammer to cycle at 100% which it did today. Guys, I highly recommend this conversion. I'm all smiles.

My 2 finger was asleep...the correct range date is 2-25-16
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ammo.jpg (1.45 MB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 7yards.jpg (1.39 MB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 21ft.jpg (1.67 MB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 45ft.jpg (522.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg heisdead.jpg (2.11 MB, 7 views)

Last edited by fifthgear; 02-25-2016 at 02:24 PM. Reason: title wrong date
fifthgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-25-2016, 03:13 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Man, I thought your internet was really slow from the date. Anyway....great report.
fifthgear likes this.

Ohio Chl holder
NRA member
Old age isn't for sissy's
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:57 PM   #3

Thanks for the report. That's impressive reliability.

You can tell alot about a fellow's character by his way of eating jellybeans. - Ronald Reagan
Spotly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2016, 10:23 AM   #4

I see that there is not much interest here for .22 shooting and that's ok. I guess I have just a fetish for rimfire since I have fired probably half a million rounds since childhood. But I wanted to add one thing...as I was informed long before I bought the conversion kit (thanks to chuck informing me it would fit my ultra) that the kit would not lock back the slide after last round. I have since researched that with the GSG/Sig Sauer all metal magazine that it will lock back the slide but with the expense of not free falling when the magazine release is pressed. I can live with that since the light weight plastic Kimber mag didn't exactly free fall like a bag of rocks. I ordered one which should be delivered in about a week and I will let you .22ers know my findings. Thanks for the likes on the range report.
fifthgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:38 AM   #5

Originally Posted by fifthgear View Post
I see that there is not much interest here for .22 shooting and that's ok. I guess I have just a fetish for rimfire since I have fired probably half a million rounds since childhood. But I wanted to add one thing...as I was informed long before I bought the conversion kit (thanks to chuck informing me it would fit my ultra) that the kit would not lock back the slide after last round. I have since researched that with the GSG/Sig Sauer all metal magazine that it will lock back the slide but with the expense of not free falling when the magazine release is pressed. I can live with that since the light weight plastic Kimber mag didn't exactly free fall like a bag of rocks. I ordered one which should be delivered in about a week and I will let you .22ers know my findings. Thanks for the likes on the range report.
Don't mistake a lack of response to this thread as a lack of love for the .22lr. I have probably fired as many .22 rounds as you from childhood hunting and plinking to R.O.T.C. Rifle Team shooting every day 3 years high school and 3 years college.
Don't shoot it a lot because .22 ammo is still not that easy to buy around here and when you can find it prices are still to high. So I don't use much of my stash.
Myself and others can't wait to see how the Sig .22 metal magazine works out.
Zoomybaby and Spotly like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:13 AM   #6

Originally Posted by fifthgear View Post
Today I went to the range to test my Kimber .22 conversion kit on my Ultra CDP II frame. I also needed to test my Walther after some hammer alterations but I'll leave that for the rimfire channels. I don't see a rimfire specific category so I hope it's alright to post it here with the big boy guns.

I knew from you guys and other sources that I needed to run high velocity ammo. Fortunately that's all I ever shoot. I tested the gun with the array I usually shoot. Here's the ammo:

1. Aguila supermaximum; hyper velocity, 30 grain, 1750 fps. These are supposedly the fastest .22 rimfire made. Always enough blowback to cycle all of my automatics. It has a very strong peculiar power smell when shot. Usually very reliable

2. CCI Stinger; hyper velocity, 32 grain, 1640 fps. My favorite ammo. Always cycles all my automatics. I saw a youtube video that showed it only measured 1190 fps out of a 4" barrel but that's still hummin. The case is longer and isn't made to shoot in a match grade rifle chamber.

3. CCI mini-mag; high velocity,40 grain,1235 fps. My go-to ammo for reliability in pistol cycling and always fire. CCI is about the cleanest ammo I have found in .22. (as if clean is really clean in 22 ammo) For plinking I do like the 36 grain mini-mags better.

4. Winchester M22. A bulk ammo that I had bought 6000 rounds of before the scarcity. I'm telling ya...this is every bit a CCI mini-mag clone. It has a black coated bullet but the power and reliability has been right in line with CCI mms for me. No duds that I have found, cycles every gun I got. Some say it's a tab bit dirtier but I haven't noticed that.

5. Armscore; high velocity, 36 grain, 1260 fps. It has the bullet shape similar to Remington golden bullets which I never liked much. They are copper plated(washed), have good velocity to cycle but are very dirty. They also are a little waxy for my liking and duds are common like in the other bulk ammo.

Now for the gun:
I decided to start at 7 yards using my favorite, CCI stingers. I use them sparingly because the 3500 rounds I bought a few years ago @ 10 cents a round are now selling @37 cents+ when you can find them. The target is a little misleading because although it is a silhouette it is much smaller. The orange stick-on dots on the last target picture are the size of a penny. After a few fast reloads I brought it in for a picture. The gun functioned flawlessly.
Next I took it to 15 yards to see if I could get some headshots. I used CCI mini-mags. I hit the head with a few fliers. I know the purpose of this conversion is to practice with .22s with sights like on the 45 slide but for precise shooting I wish they were a little thinner. I spared no ammo in this test with no malfunctions at all.
Next ammo was the Winchester M22. Lovely...smooth as silk. brought the target in to 30 ft for some rapid fire. I love the feel of this gun.

Started to run out of places to shoot at where I could tell where I was hitting so I stuck my ole stick-on dots on the target and switched to the Aguila. Lots of power and plenty of muzzle flash to put on a good show for the big boys. Pretty loud too. What a peculiar smell though. Ran great.
Last ammo was the Armscor. I had bought this the most recently when I thought I better buy something instead of shooting up my favorites. The velocity is great. Cycling no problem and chambering never failed. Halfway through the first 50 rounds I had a dud. Re-cocked and the second strike fired it. One other round did that but it was in my Walther P22.

So I ran through lots of ammo and no malfunctions of the gun at all. I am REALLY impressed. I say that because my Walther needed a little custom fine tuning with the hammer to cycle at 100% which it did today. Guys, I highly recommend this conversion. I'm all smiles.

My 2 finger was asleep...the correct range date is 2-25-16
The biggest problem I see with your report is lack of detail. LOL Great report. I think if more people would try the Conversion they would like it. Its fun to shoot,Cheap to shoot, and Great for the Wife and kids. I have one and really enjoy it. Thank you again for the report, great Job.

Zoomybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:38 AM   #7

Hey Fifthgear, we love our 22's sometimes I'll go to the range and that's all I'll shoot is the 22's. I have two colt M4 rifles a 22 and a 556. Want to guess which one I shoot most. Yep, the 22 because it's cheap and it's a good training device easy on the ears and a ton a fun. Last Christmas I got from Santa Claus a 22 conversion kit for my P938 and I shoot the heck out of that; it's great training and a lot of fun and it will come in real handy when I take a new shooter to the range to introduce them to pistol shooting. Thanks for posting that great report. Keep them coming especially with the updates.
Zoomybaby likes this.
Old 02-27-2016, 12:03 PM   #8
Super Moderator

The only thing that's ever slowed my .22 shooting down was the ammo shortage we had going for a couple of years. I have 2 Kimber .22 conversion kits and an assortment of .22 pistols and rifles.
Zoomybaby and Cucamonga kid like this.