GSG .22 magazine for conversion kit - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fifthgear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2016, 12:00 PM   #1

GSG .22 magazine for conversion kit

I want to give a review of the GSG magazine for the .22 conversion kit. I already reviewed my Kimber conversion kit so I want be going into detail about the kit except to say it funtioned flawlessly with my HV ammo. One thing you can believe is that I don't spit shine anything... if it's not good I'm going to tell you about it.

As many of you are aware the plastic Kimber .22 magazines do not lock back the slide after last round fired. The GSG magazines do. There may be good reason why Kimber chose not to design a magazine that would enable lock back. The Kimber slide is aluminum against a steel slide stop. I did much research on the internet finding lots of experience, thoughts, speculation, wive's tales, keyboard engineering, and what-if's. Some of the negative posts were that it will crack your slide, it will round out the stop slot, it will not work for long, if Kimber would have seen it possible they would have designed one themselves, etc. Sorting through all the bullshit from some who don't even own a conversion kit is the hard part. I could not find anyone who had their slide cracked, or anyone who's slide was made inoperable due to damage from the magazine. I tend to trust the owners who have 6 to 10 thousand rounds with it who said that yes there were some cosmetic marks on the finish in the slide stop notch area and were more noticable on the black finish slides. Some said they didn't have any marks. That gave me reason enough to want to try it out for myself.

The magazine is a beautiful black steel magazine that appears to be well made. It has a sight window for ammo and a plastic end cap on the bottom. I heard through my research that this is a weak point of the magazine. Those who practice fast reloading drills and drop it bottom end first on a hard surface might break the plastic end cap. It looks pretty tough to me but that part doesn't even concern me because I don't use my pistol in that way but is something to keep in mind.

One thing I never really liked about the Kimber magazine is that it was hard to load those slippery little rounds in. The GSG has a thumb button groove on each side to slide down and compress the spring basically being able to just dump the next round in.

My last complaint about the Kimber mag is that although the kit works well on the Ultra the magazine hangs out the bottom of the grip too much for my taste. I know it came with a different bottom cap that takes up some space but it won't seat with my magwell on the pistol I want to use it on. The GSG on the other hand fits looking really nice with my magwell. I took a couple of pics of each so you can be the judge.

I quickly ran a 100 rounds through it mainly making sure that it would feed reliably and checking to make sure it locked back. This only took about 10 minutes to verify that it had no feed failures and locked back. I know this isn't enough use for a real test of this magazine but that is what I wanted to verify at this point.

Overall I am as happy as a tick on a dogs butt. It may not be for everyone but I think I'm going to love it. Try it at your own risk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GSG.jpg (1.10 MB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg GSGmag.jpg (1.24 MB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Kimbermag.jpg (1.34 MB, 3 views)
Chuck43 likes this.
fifthgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-03-2016, 12:03 PM   #2

Thumbs up

Nice write-up and comparo on those two mags.
Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:09 PM   #3

One thing I forgot to add that I think is important. The light weight Kimber mags didn't drop out when released that well. I had heard that the GSG didn't drop out at all. The people who said that appear to be wrong because mine drops out very well probably because of its added weight.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:14 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Nice write up fifthgear.

Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 03:08 PM   #5
Super Moderator

I don't have a conversion kit but your review makes me want to get some of the magazines!!

Ohio Chl holder
NRA member
Old age isn't for sissy's
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 03:17 PM   #6

Originally Posted by Islander View Post
I don't have a conversion kit but your review makes me want to get some of the magazines!!
AHAHAHA! Well thinking you may be teetering on the edge of buying a conversion kit how about if I add this.... with the GSG magazine you can buy an optional follower that will allow you to increase the capacity to 14?
Old 03-03-2016, 03:24 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by fifthgear View Post
AHAHAHA! Well thinking you may be teetering on the edge of buying a conversion kit how about if I add this.... with the GSG magazine you can buy an optional follower that will allow you to increase the capacity to 14?
The magazines do sound like the hot ticket for conversion kit owners. I've got two Browning Buckmarks that handle my .22 needs.

Ohio Chl holder
NRA member
Old age isn't for sissy's
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote