Brand new Ultra Raptor problems - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2016, 08:56 AM   #1

Brand new Ultra Raptor problems

Picked up my Ultra Raptor from the FFL yesterday, brand new straight in from Kimber. I bought an extra Wilson mag, compact 7 round.

Tried to strip it down, and the "paperclip" was too long to do so. Clipped it down to where it would fit, stripped it and cleaned it thoroughly.

Tried to load it up, failure to load. I can't really tell if the nose is diving or the feed ramp is too flat. The nose of the bullet just sits against the bottom of the bull barrel. A tap against the back of the slide makes it go into battery. Also with the Wilson mag in, the mag release button is REALLY stiff. Not the case at all with the Kimber.

I'm having to do this EVERY time to load in Gold Dots, and about half the time on FMJ. I'm at work now but will take some pics and load them up. Anybody else had this experience?
b505jcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-24-2016, 09:34 AM   #2

If you check the wilson site I think there is a mention of potential issues with the mags in Kimbers. I had called them and asked and was told it was rare but could be easily fixed? You may want to call Wilson on that? With the feeding does the problem happen with the Kimber and Wilson mags or just the Wilson? I'm not first hand familiar with the Ultras but I'm sure one of the more knowledgeable members will chime in. I think it would be odd if the feed ramp angle wasn't correct.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:42 AM   #3

Both mags have the issue with feeding, it's just that you have to slam the Wilson mag into the well, where you can slide and tap the Kimber mag. And the mag release feels normal on the Kimber and VERY stiff on the Wilson. Just didn't expect to have these kinds of problems in a brand new gun. I realized I'd have to break it in and may see some FTE's, but I've never seen a new gun with FTL right out of the bag.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:45 AM   #4

I will check right now, truthfully I have not fired the Raptor with the Wilson mags yet, just the stock and joes. My wilson mags are in my backpack mostly for the Eclipse, which I know has zero problems using the Wilsons. Please hold.

Always be ready - 5.11
Hoffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:49 AM   #5

The Wilsons work, no problems.

Always be ready - 5.11
Hoffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:55 AM   #6

The Wilsons work fine in my Super Carry Ultra HD. Sounds like a little too much spring tension. Might try loading them to capacity and let it sit for a few days.

On a brand new gun I'd stick with FMJ and keep it lubed properly. It should loosen up. Remember, when you pay more for a tight, close tolerance gun it takes a little more to get the parts to wear in. If this continues after 300 or 400 rounds I'd contact Kimber. They will gladly make it right. Customer service at Kimber is excellent.
Chuck43, shooterl and JC45 like this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:14 AM   #7

I'm tempted to just bring it back to my FFL and have them send me a Raptor Pro. I kind of wanted a 45 I could conceal carry but first impressions of this thing were sketchy to say the least. My 938 has never had a problem out of the box in about 2500 rounds. It just isn't a lot of fun to shoot.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:15 AM   #8

This is the note I mentioned. It's from the Brownells site and is on the "elite tactical 10 round" product page? I have found with my 6 round Micro mags a little extra pressure once they're fully loaded will compress the cartridges a bit more, there's an audible click and then the full mag will seat in the pistol easily. If I don't compress the rounds and hear the click the mag requires much more force to seat. I just make it a point to give them the extra push before inserting the mag?

...sorry the pic is upside-down :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (2.53 MB, 16 views)
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:30 AM   #9

Well my FFL said shoot it another 100-150 rounds and if it's still happening to bring it to them and they'll send it back to Kimber. I'll try to get in there and take some pics of the feed ramp and show you what I'm talking about.
Hoffbrew likes this.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:02 AM   #10

Forget the Gold Dot ammo for now, use 230gr FMJ.

Lube, Lube, Lube.

I have a Ultra Raptor Stainless, never had a failure with mine. I have several Ultra's none of them have had any failure's.

Even if you swap for a Pro or any other model there will be some degree of break in and 230gr FMJ should be used with any barrel length. Did you get one that needs some adjustment? Maybe? You must try what is recommended to eliminate other issues.

All my Ultra's will fire, and function with Speer 185gr Bonded Hollow Points +P.

I didn't understand the need to "trim" the "paperclip" takedown tool. The L-shaped wire worked fine with my Ultra's. However myself and some others use a NDZ "tool" it is much easier than the wire. Search on this site you should find the info.

NDZ tool is in this picture right in front of the business card and Breakfree, little black plastic tube, very simple but effective. Wish I had thought of making it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0003.JPG (2.23 MB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160126_154106997.jpg (3.05 MB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160126_154121891.jpg (3.02 MB, 19 views)
Chuck43, shooterl and JC45 like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

kimber ultra raptor 45 problems

kimber ultra raptor malfunction

Click on a term to search for related topics.