Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Tankgunner
  • 1 Post By cousinmark
  • 1 Post By cousinmark
  • 1 Post By cousinmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2016, 03:23 PM   #1

3/29/16 range report :-(

...like I had mentioned, I was looking forward to trying out the Wilson Combat flat wire kit I had picked up. The kit is listed as being for a .38 super but there've been reports of it working well in a PRO 9mm. I think the spring is actually a pound or two heavier than the stock Kimber. As it's supposed to last 10 times longer I was hoping it would work out. Well you know what they say about hoping, ya :-)
I wound up having a few problems, probably 4 or 5 failures to eject and 3 or 4 failures for the slide to lock open at the end of a mag out of 100 rounds of American Eagle 124gr FMJ This ammo has run 100% with the stock spring. Had 3 failures to eject and 2 failures to lock out using a box of 50 of the ranges Atlanta brand 115gr FMJ, hadn't tried that in this pistol previously. The box of 50 Fiocchi 115gr FMJ ran 100%. So seems like the Wilson rig throws off the timing of my gun. Maybe it would do better after some use but after cleaning up I put the stock set up back in. I've had zero issues with it and can live with the 800 round projected lifespan :-)
...on the bright side the sight stayed where it should and I seemed to hit better :-)
...the target is at 25'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (1.63 MB, 6 views)
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-29-2016, 04:52 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Lesson learned. Thanks for sharing the info.

Ohio Chl holder
NRA member
Old age isn't for sissy's
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 05:00 PM   #3
Super Moderator

I wouldn't be too quick to abandon the spring, others here have used it and you're the first one to report having a problem with it. I believe it was Bluzman that originally called Wilson Combat and asked about a spring kit for a Pro size 9mm Kimber. Hopefully he'll see your thread and have something to offer.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:16 PM   #4

Yeah .38 super is a much hotter round then your typical 9mm, would most likely work best with 9mm + P or better yet + P +. But I wouldn't recommend a study diet of them.
cousinmark likes this.
Tankgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:00 AM   #5

...new option

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
I wouldn't be too quick to abandon the spring, others here have used it and you're the first one to report having a problem with it. I believe it was Bluzman that originally called Wilson Combat and asked about a spring kit for a Pro size 9mm Kimber. Hopefully he'll see your thread and have something to offer.
...I just double checked the Wilson site, the one I ordered is rated at 15# (when I ordered it 3 weeks ago it was the best 4" option) they have now added a 13# spring listed for 4" 9mm, also have one listed for a 5" 9mm, I think that may be new too? I'll call them tomorrow.
...and you are correct, Bluzman has said he had flawless performance with the 4" .38 super kit. Then again he probably didn't bake his :-)
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:33 AM   #6
Super Moderator

I'm glad to hear that you haven't given up on the spring and called Wilson Combat. I really believe in the flat wire spring, I have them in all of my 4" and 5" 1911's, my only complaint is that they don't make them for my 3" guns LOL.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:58 AM   #7

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
I'm glad to hear that you haven't given up on the spring and called Wilson Combat. I really believe in the flat wire spring, I have them in all of my 4" and 5" 1911's, my only complaint is that they don't make them for my 3" guns LOL.
I'm no quitter Chuck :-) If they now have one that will run well for me with standard pressure ammo that'll be great. A 4k lifespan is good. I had just looked at the site quickly last night when I got checked into my hotel. Also noticed they've changed the description for the 15# to include 9mm+P as well as .38 super. Tankgunner hit the nail on the head with his comment about hot ammo :-) I think the guide rod and plug that came with the 15# should work with the new spring, I'll confirm when I call. The spring is available alone for 10.95 or so.
...may be able to review it in next weeks report :-)
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:42 AM   #8

quick update

...spoke with the girl at Wilson, she said the guide rod and plug that come with the .38 super kit are the same parts in the 9mm kit so all I needed was the spring at $10.95. It's on the way, we'll see how it does next week :-)
Chuck43 likes this.