Red Dot Installation Questions - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2016, 04:10 PM   #1

Red Dot Installation Questions

Hello everyone, I recently bought a new Kimber Tactical Custom HDii. I've taken it to the range a few times and love the gun. I've been thinking about adding a red dot to it because I only target shoot with it and wouldn't mind shooting in tourneys at some point for fun. So while there, I asked them who would be a good place to take it to so I could get it drilled and tapped. They told me a place that has done some "race guns" and said since it's a more of an expensive gun that's where they'd take it. So I took it up there and they looked at it and suggested a mount that will slide into the factory spot and either drilling and tapping that mount for the sight I want or getting a red dot that was made for that particular mount. I looked into those before and saw something about sometimes those mounts sit pretty high. I've always shot rifles so my knowledge of this stuff is more limited and I wanted a second or even third opinion on this. Would that mount that slips in be good and sit fairly low, or would I be better off just having the gun itself drilled and tapped. Thanks and sorry for the long post.
LalaTheDullahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-31-2016, 06:10 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois, I a big fan of Kimbers Tactical line, I love my Ultra Tactical II. I have no experience with red dots on a pistol but maybe another member will come along that can offer some advice.
LalaTheDullahan likes this.

Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:18 PM   #3

Thank you!

Old 03-31-2016, 06:41 PM   #4

Well I clicked this to read hoping to learn something...I got nothing to add that will help you.

Seems like the pictures of "race" or "competition target" pistols that I have seen, I could be wrong but I don't think they mount the red dot to the slide? I have seen like a fancy bracket that mounts from the grips or sides and does not move with the slide. Maybe others can help with suggestions.
Chuck43 and LalaTheDullahan like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:50 PM   #5

Google the professional way to mount the red dot on your gun for competition shooting and see what pops up. And wouldn't there be a forum for competition shooters?
Gtwo and LalaTheDullahan like this.
Snake15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:09 PM   #6
Super Moderator

First, welcome to the forum from Ohio. The only first hand experience I have with a red dot on a handgun is with my Browning Buckmark target/cometition gun which has a factory rail to mount optics on. So....I'm not much help either.
LalaTheDullahan likes this.

Ohio Chl holder
NRA member
Old age isn't for sissy's
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:17 PM   #7

Originally Posted by Snake15 View Post
Google the professional way to mount the red dot on your gun for competition shooting and see what pops up. And wouldn't there be a forum for competition shooters?
Not sure, I'm sure there is, but since it was a Kimber, I thought someone might have first had experience with it on here. I've heard that it's better to drill and tap the gun, but not exactly how old that info is. They may make mounts now that are just as solid. I just hated to take advice just from 1 local gunsmith.
Gtwo likes this.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:27 PM   #8

Maybe call Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, and the others and not mention what you specifically have just planning on comp. shooting with a 1911 as they are noted builders and also call the company that makes the red dot you'll choose. After all these calls you can take all the info and decide and they may direct you to a master gunsmith who is reliable. Again reaching out on the computer to comp. shooters would also be a great start. Be aware that any info from this forum comes from gentleman who enjoy their "libations".............Around noon may be best for opinions
Pops6116 likes this.
Snake15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:32 PM   #9

I have a Burris on a 1911-22 using a dovetail mount which I think was by EGW.

I had Steve Housel at L and M Precision mill a 1911 slide for a direct fit of a Trijicon RMR and a set of taller iron sights for co witnessing. Bowie Tactical also does such work. To what Housels work looks like you can also checkout the new red dot equipped Nighthawk pistol. It is identical and maybe contracted to Steve but I am not sure.

The race gun guys do not mount dots on slides due to the dot reciprocation with the slide. That and it doesn't fit in a carry holster. USPSA has a new division for carry optic pistols as these will be the future.

There is a lot more to be said about the learning curve of small dog sights on pistols for speed and carry work...
Old 03-31-2016, 10:50 PM   #10

Originally Posted by Mike240 View Post
I have a Burris on a 1911-22 using a dovetail mount which I think was by EGW.

I had Steve Housel at L and M Precision mill a 1911 slide for a direct fit of a Trijicon RMR and a set of taller iron sights for co witnessing. Bowie Tactical also does such work. To what Housels work looks like you can also checkout the new red dot equipped Nighthawk pistol. It is identical and maybe contracted to Steve but I am not sure.

The race gun guys do not mount dots on slides due to the dot reciprocation with the slide. That and it doesn't fit in a carry holster. USPSA has a new division for carry optic pistols as these will be the future.

There is a lot more to be said about the learning curve of small dog sights on pistols for speed and carry work...
So they use a mount that attaches more to the frame?

Search tags for this page

kimber red dot mount

Click on a term to search for related topics.