Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Chuck43
  • 1 Post By Mike240

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2016, 02:55 AM   #1

Wilson Combat 500-9CD

1911 Elite Tactical Magazine, 9mm, Compact, 10 Round, Lo-Profile Steel Base Pad

1911 Elite Tactical Magazine | 10 Round 9mm | Compact-http://shopwilsoncombat.com/

Anyone use this in an ultra? I would love to see pics to know how far the mag sticks out. I'm thinking of trying these for the range.
Mick-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-10-2016, 06:10 AM   #2
Super Moderator

I don't have any 10 round magazines but I use full size mags in my Ultra's ( both 9 & 45) at the range. The full size mags in my ultra's stick out about 1" so I'm guessing you're looking at a minimum of 2" of magazine sticking out. If you want an idea of what it would look like set your gun down with the magazine not fully inserted sticking out about 2" and you'll have it.
2sharp2 likes this.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:56 AM   #3

Mick-S, I have two of those magazines. There are a couple of funny things about them...they will not seat in my SS ultra carry 9mm. The long steel base part seems to not go up into the slot far enough on the grip bottom no matter how hard I push. Another oddity was that they came with polymer followers (which I wanted) instead of the metal like in the Elite 8 rounders. After I could not make them work I used the polymer followers in the 8 round mags.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Elite.jpg (987.3 KB, 7 views)
fifthgear is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2016, 08:54 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by fifthgear View Post
Mick-S, I have two of those magazines. There are a couple of funny things about them...they will not seat in my SS ultra carry 9mm. The long steel base part seems to not go up into the slot far enough on the grip bottom no matter how hard I push. Another oddity was that they came with polymer followers (which I wanted) instead of the metal like in the Elite 8 rounders. After I could not make them work I used the polymer followers in the 8 round mags.
Did you see this note on the WC site under the extended magazine?

Note: Some Kimber® 1911 handguns have barrel feed ramps that are left undressed at the factory and will interfere with the ramped front of this magazine. The barrel can be easily modified by a gunsmith to provide the proper clearance required.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:59 AM   #5

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post

Note: Some Kimber® 1911 handguns have barrel feed ramps that are left undressed at the factory and will interfere with the ramped front of this magazine. The barrel can be easily modified by a gunsmith to provide the proper clearance required.
Thanks Chuck, no I didn't see it. I bought from another internet supplier that didn't mention that. That's something to consider for those wanting to use them. I think I'll just stick with the 8 rounders now.
fifthgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:18 AM   #6

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post

That or the extended vertical front of the baseplate is a bit long preventing the mag from inserting far enough to engage the mag catch. Common regardless of gun due to makers tolerances. Remove a thousandth at a time till it seats easily.

The bottom of the barrel ramp is easily dressed as well. A slight chamfer and set back will do it as the bullet nose does not strike at the very very bottom.

when using government model mags in compacts the stop on the mag tube or the base plate is important if you ever load with the slide locked to the rear. Inserting fast and hard can jump over the mag catch causing a stoppage and or failure of the slide going forward. Another thing to check is that many guns these days, especially the short slide ones, use extended ejectors (usually unnessary with solid shooters but help the limp wristers). Ensure the loaded magazine does strike the underside the ejector arm with cartridge or magazine tube. This can damage the ejector and when slamming mags in with the slide back will cause it to loosen and bounce in the frame causing erratic ejection.

In an alloy frame it can cause the hole in the frame for the ejector roll pin to become egged out.
Chuck43 likes this.

Last edited by Mike240; 04-14-2016 at 11:25 AM.
Mike240 is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

wilson combat

Click on a term to search for related topics.