Another one sold itself... - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2016, 12:32 PM   #1

Another one sold itself...

I had been shooting a last year of production Team Match 9mm when they were all stainless. It had been tweaked a bit as most of mine do get the treatment. 2.5# trigger, VZ Op II grips, Dawson fiber optic front sight, correct reamed, throated and polished chamber, extractor work and spring tuning.

A shooting friend's Rock Island 9 went down so I have been loaning the TM to him. Well he loves it and shoots it better than I have ever seen him shoot action pistol stages and long range steel, so....

Question will be to build a replacement from scratch or buy and tune a replacement.

I need to quit letting people shoot my guns!
Old 04-14-2016, 12:36 PM   #2

Send the next tuned 1911 my way, will ya?
RugerLuger likes this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:38 PM   #3

Originally Posted by Insta-Gator View Post
Send the next tuned 1911 my way, will ya?

Old 04-14-2016, 12:43 PM   #4

Why should you spend to get a new one if that one is shooting so good. Your probably going to give him a deal if he's your friend so your behind from the start. Unless you enjoy getting a new one and starting over. Maybe a new one has some improvements.
Snake15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:45 PM   #5

Mike, do you do all that work yourself to tune the gun? I have a Gold Match II and would love to invest in making it better, but I have no idea how to do it or who to take it to that really knows the 1911 and can do a professional job.
MonoLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:55 PM   #6

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:58 PM   #7

Can't you send it to Wilson Combat and have them do the mod's?
Snake15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 03:44 PM   #8

Originally Posted by MonoLake View Post
Mike, do you do all that work yourself to tune the gun? I have a Gold Match II and would love to invest in making it better, but I have no idea how to do it or who to take it to that really knows the 1911 and can do a professional job.
Yes I do. To me if you just want one to two done then pay for it. I currently have 15 1911s. That number can change at time. I have the tools and learned from others over the years. Some is self taught from trial and error. I was an armorer for several years for my agency and saw many guns each year. But I could also experiment on what I wanted to tinker with on the evidence guns that were going to be melted anyways....

Each brand has certain issues. But the issues can change quickly with most makers because most production 1911 makers source there parts from others.

Kimber is pretty much a constant. I will find the same issue with each of them. Due to the number of Kimbers I have worked on for guys at work I can knock the work out pretty quick. Just because the gun runs does not mean it runs right or could not be made to run smoother or with ALL ammunition, which is what I require.

Not to make a sales pitch, but there a couple long "stickys" in the gunsmith section I wrote that will explain what is common with Kimbers and many other 1911s.
Chuck43 and 1911fan like this.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:47 PM   #9

Originally Posted by Snake15 View Post
Can't you send it to Wilson Combat and have them do the mod's?
There are lots of good places to get work done. There are many many gunsmiths that claim to know 1911s but cannot diagnose a problem and take proper action.

Some of those stories have been verified on this forum. A Manson finish reamer/throater will do more for Kimber than most anything.
Snake15 likes this.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:55 PM   #10

Originally Posted by Snake15 View Post
Why should you spend to get a new one if that one is shooting so good. Your probably going to give him a deal if he's your friend so your behind from the start. Unless you enjoy getting a new one and starting over. Maybe a new one has some improvements.
I look at them like cars, the more miles the less they are priced. I am more realistic than many who sell their used guns and demand MSRP. Though 14K rounds really is not a lot that is what I have through that gun.

Believe it or not I will want less than he wants to pay for it. He will haggle for a higher price thinking my time into the gun is worth it.

Not a big deal I enjoy tuning them and get a kick out of fairly new shooters coming into their own getting better and having a smile on their face when they can quit anticipating a stoppage with each shot. You can see it in their actions.
Chuck43 and Snake15 like this.