Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By Mike240
  • 3 Post By montanaResident
  • 6 Post By Insta-Gator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2016, 01:13 PM   #1
Banned

Shot the Kimber Stainless II

and the Sig P220 Elite this morning. Just got this in before the rain, which is now coming down hard.

I did a trigger job on the Kimber Stainless II and am happy with the trigger. I had two failures to go to full battery, which can have nothing to do with the trigger job, and was likely due to the 20yo semiwad cutter reloads. Also, I had a couple of hammer drops after removing the spent magazine and letting the slide sling forward. Hammer dropped to 1/2 cock the way it is suppose to. But this is a new phenomenon for this before rock solid 1911. I suppose I will have to shoot it a few more times before I go back in there and maybe sharpen up the sear and the hammer hooks. It's always something...

Oh, and the Sig was perfect. Also a few months ago I replace the recoil spring, only because this 2nd hand pistol to me felt a little soft when racking the slide.
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-14-2016, 01:22 PM   #2
Banned

I can't reproduce the hammer drop/follow problem. Theory; reloads were light, and pistol did not fully cycle causing the hammer hooks to not fully get set on the sear. Sound plausible?

-- update --

I'm nearly 100% certain the trigger is too light. I have gotten it to happen from working the slide several 100 times. It's rare, but happens. The trigger is just a wee bit to light. Damn! Later I'll get into it again and increase the tension on the sear spring.

Last edited by montanaResident; 04-14-2016 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:24 PM   #3

How much take up on the trigger do you have? if you like the trigger pull weight and break you may be able to take other action. you may have too much trigger movement thus getting trigger bounce. Use the adjustment tabs on the trigger stirrup. If I like the trigger break and have good hammer hooks and sear engagement I will apply tension to the disconnector first. Just a thought. On stock parts I find that you can get down to about .030" take up and eliminate trigger bounce and get a safe 2.5# trigger on Kimbers with a little cleanup of the hooks and put a secondary angle on the sear (which no Kimber sear I have seen has).
montanaResident likes this.

Old 04-14-2016, 05:24 PM   #4
Banned

I went back into it and put more tension on the Sear and backed the tension off from the Disconnector. Seems to give a more crisp trigger break and no additional pressure on the trigger pull, and the hammer follow seems to be better. I'll shoot it again tomorrow and confirm.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:28 PM   #5
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike240 View Post
a secondary angle on the sear (which no Kimber sear I have seen has).
When I first took a stone to the sear, I did put a few stroked into the secondary angle. Now looking at the sear under glass I'm pretty sure the secondary angle was there to begin with. Invisible to my eyes without some magnification.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:50 AM   #6
Banned

1/2 a box yesterday, and plenty of working the slide w/ the pistol empty. Perfect. I'll shoot a couple of more boxes before I give it the 100% seal of approval.
Chuck43, Insta-Gator and Pops6116 like this.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:57 AM   #7

I love threads like this. Always learn something. I don't have the tools or nerves to delve into the trigger action, but I know just enough to follow this thread and appreciate what you're doing.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote