Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Tankgunner
  • 1 Post By Marshall
  • 1 Post By watch guy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2016, 08:37 AM   #1

Team Match II External Extractor

I have picked up a used Kimber. I want to get the extractor out and clean and replace the spring with a new stronger one from Wolff. I have a couple other 1911's with internal ones. Is there a special way to get it out? I see one page in the Kimber manual that is just an exploded view listing the parts but no instructions. Could not find anything on You Tube either.

Any help/comments would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kimber 1.JPG (3.26 MB, 7 views)
watch guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-09-2016, 09:52 AM   #2

Good looking handgun there. You will most likely have a hard time finding someone with a lot of knowledge regarding Kmbers external extractor. It was not a long or successful venture, it was problematic from the beginning.
Most 1911 shooters, like myself stayed far away from them. We saw it as a unneeded and doomed step outside he box.
After a few years of problems, Kimber licked their wounds and went back to the internal extractor. Not only did the EE cause functioning problems with the gun, it also drove away many of their customers.
For many years after a customer could ship their external extractor gun back to Kimber and at no cost Kimber would fit a new internal extractor slide to the gun. While I know there are EE guns that function fine, there is no support of them. Kimber does not make the parts any more, if it were mine I would call Kimber and see if I could get a new IE slide free of cost from them.
Chuck43 and 2sharp2 like this.

Last edited by Tankgunner; 05-09-2016 at 09:54 AM.
Tankgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:33 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. The gun was made in 2002 so it is already 15 years old. Being a newbie to Kimber, I did not really do any research and on this one. I saw the EE but did not really think about it.

I took to the range for the first time last Friday and put 100 rounds thru with no FTE. I plan on removing the EE and cleaning when the Wolff spring I ordered arrives. I understand is stronger and helps the situation.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:10 PM   #4

Mike240 would be the man to help you on this...
2sharp2 likes this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:15 PM   #5

Originally Posted by watch guy View Post
I have picked up a used Kimber. I want to get the extractor out and clean and replace the spring with a new stronger one from Wolff. I have a couple other 1911's with internal ones. Is there a special way to get it out? I see one page in the Kimber manual that is just an exploded view listing the parts but no instructions. Could not find anything on You Tube either.

Any help/comments would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Not sure if a S&W is the same as a Kimber, but it may help a bit..

Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:05 PM   #6

thanks for the link. Saw it but is a different set up.
Marshall likes this.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:42 AM   #7

It disassembles similar to a Glock. Remove firing pin stop by depressing firing pin and safety block. Slide it down and out. Rear cup is under spring pressure. Wear glasses. Remove cup. Turn slide upside down remove spring and short rod. Extractor will then come out the side of the slide. You will see how it locked in place but allowed to pivot slightly. See how the knob on the short Rod engages with the extractor upon assembly.

The Team Match EEs were the best of the bunch but could be ammo power factor sensitive. I have about 50k through mine and competed with it quite a bit much to amazement of many. I still have the original spring.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:19 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Mike240 View Post
It disassembles similar to a Glock. Remove firing pin stop by depressing firing pin and safety block. Slide it down and out. Rear cup is under spring pressure. Wear glasses. Remove cup. Turn slide upside down remove spring and short rod. Extractor will then come out the side of the slide. You will see how it locked in place but allowed to pivot slightly. See how the knob on the short Rod engages with the extractor upon assembly.

The Team Match EEs were the best of the bunch but could be ammo power factor sensitive. I have about 50k through mine and competed with it quite a bit much to amazement of many. I still have the original spring.
Thanks for the detailed reply!!! I do have a Glock and will test my skills on it first as it has been awhile since I checked the firing pin, etc.

Don't know how many rounds have been thru mine but for a 14 year old gun, it is nice shape. I do plan on replacing the recoil and firing pin springs as soon as my Wolff order arrives. Also ordered their extractor spring.

I currently use a HK VP9 for IDPA but may switch to the Kimber as after only 100 rounds I find it shoots accurately.

I have only shot 230 gr FMJ. Did you have issues with other loads?

Thanks again!!!
Old 05-10-2016, 06:23 PM   #9

230 FMJ is all I think I have ever shot through it. Maybe some Gold Dot but I doubt it. It was a match gun for me and I reload...a lot.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:58 AM   #10

Originally Posted by Mike240 View Post

Mike240: Thanks for the tips. Received my springs today from Wolff. Replaced the recoil and firing pin ones and after some cussing I was able to remove the extractor parts and replaced the stronger one from Wolff. Needed 3 hands to get things back in okay. Hope to get to the range later this week to make sure things are working okay.

Thanks again!