Wilson Combat Flat Spring Kit Question - Kimber Forum

Kimber


Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree14Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2014, 07:39 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
PorscheVille's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 1,013
Wilson Combat Flat Spring Kit Question

I just got my Wilson Flat Spring kit. One reason I decided to switch out my whole guide rod, bushing and spring was to get away from using the "paper clip" tool. Then I see this little hole.....then I see this tiny pin! #%*!? WTF?

So I ASS-u-me that instead of the awkward little L tool that my fingers can barely pick up I can now use the even smaller tiny little pin that I can't possibly pick up?

I swear I saw a YouFool video that showed a guy breaking down a Pro without a tool.

Yours truly,
Fooled in Ky.

Ps. Sorry for the crappy iPad photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (130.2 KB, 4 views)
PorscheVille is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-20-2014, 07:43 AM   #2
Super Moderator
 
Islander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 5,126
Originally Posted by PorscheVille View Post
I just got my Wilson Flat Spring kit. One reason I decided to switch out my whole guide rod, bushing and spring was to get away from using the "paper clip" tool. Then I see this little hole.....then I see this tiny pin! #%*!? WTF?

So I ASS-u-me that instead of the awkward little L tool that my fingers can barely pick up I can now use the even smaller tiny little pin that I can't possibly pick up?

I swear I saw a YouFool video that showed a guy breaking down a Pro without a tool.

Yours truly,
Fooled in Ky.

Ps. Sorry for the crappy iPad photo.
The hole is optional. Watch the video on Wilson Combat's web site.
__________________
Steve

Ohio Chl holder
NRA member
Old age isn't for sissy's
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:49 AM   #3
Super Moderator
 
Chuck43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 32,582
The hole is only there to help you initially install the spring if you feel you need it. Watch the video on Wilson Combats site.
__________________
WE DON'T SHOOT TO KILL, WE SHOOT TO SAVE A LIFE.
Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 02-20-2014, 10:20 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
PorscheVille's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 1,013
Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
The hole is only there to help you initially install the spring if you feel you need it. Watch the video on Wilson Combats site.
Chuck, I don't need that ho! Me and that ho are history!.....uh, never mind. You said "hole".....but I still don't don't need it! I watched Wilson's video, which is what I think I saw on YouFool but my mind apparently blocked out the hole.

I'm ready to go tool-free!

When I get home and put it in, I'll post about how smart I am.
Insta-Gator likes this.
PorscheVille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:43 AM   #5
Super Moderator
 
Chuck43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 32,582
Originally Posted by PorscheVille View Post
Chuck, I don't need that ho! Me and that ho are history!.....uh, never mind. You said "hole".....but I still don't don't need it! I watched Wilson's video, which is what I think I saw on YouFool but my mind apparently blocked out the hole.

I'm ready to go tool-free!

When I get home and put it in, I'll post about how smart I am.
I've got every confidence in you, you're going to pop it right in and forever be tool free.
__________________
WE DON'T SHOOT TO KILL, WE SHOOT TO SAVE A LIFE.
Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:17 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 43
I use NDZ take down tool. Kimber 3" Ultra II Teardown tools - S & L (Combo Kit)
Joncooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:26 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
v35b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Pinellas Park
Posts: 309
I dropped the little pin and lost it before I could get it in, any how you don't need it though the first time I put mine together it was a struggle but if I can do it anyone can. O and you will find the gun runs much smoother with the Wilson spring and rod installed.

Last edited by v35b; 02-20-2014 at 03:28 PM.
v35b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:31 PM   #8
Super Moderator
 
Islander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 5,126
Originally Posted by Joncooper View Post
Those are expensive tools that replace an inexpensive tool!
__________________
Steve

Ohio Chl holder
NRA member
Old age isn't for sissy's
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:18 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Marshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Cardinal Nation
Posts: 19,283
If anyone hears a yell on Saturday from StLou,that's probably me changing out the recoil springs on the two PCII {9mm-45}that I have.I have read everything,watched enough YouBoob videos and know when it's all said and done ,it will be done...No problem at all..{said the mouse running from the cat}...
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:24 PM   #10
Super Moderator
 
Islander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 5,126
Originally Posted by jms-stlou View Post
If anyone hears a yell on Saturday from StLou,that's probably me changing out the recoil springs on the two PCII {9mm-45}that I have.I have read everything,watched enough YouBoob videos and know when it's all said and done ,it will be done...No problem at all..{said the mouse running from the cat}...
You can do it!! Make sure you get your Johnny Walker back though, just in case!
Marshall likes this.
__________________
Steve

Ohio Chl holder
NRA member
Old age isn't for sissy's
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wilson Combat Low-Profile Mag PorscheVille Kimber 1911 Forum 9 02-15-2014 06:08 PM
Spring must be near!! Islander Off-Topic Discussion Forum 30 02-15-2014 02:02 PM
Wilson Combat guide rod v35b Kimber 1911 Forum 7 02-08-2014 08:47 AM
Help! 8 round Wilson Combat 47D not able to go in all the way all of a sudden. Freedom1 Kimber 1911 Forum 19 09-19-2013 09:22 PM
wilson commander recoil spring with new guide ubeeski New Member Introduction 0 06-09-2013 07:26 AM