• 1 Post By Insta-Gator
  • 2 Post By BugSlayer
  • 1 Post By Gmountain
  • 2 Post By fifthgear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2016, 08:53 AM   #1

Good advice... well-written

The Dark Herald: So You've Just Killed A Man

This isnít the Sand Box. This isnít the Rock Pile. This is your living room and there is now a badly wounded man lying on your floor with a gun in his hand. This has never happened to you right here in America. Over there was someplace and some time else. This is home, the place you put your things and there is blood on them now.

You have a gun in your hand and itís smoking.

The invader tries to raise his pistol again.

Your gun barks twice more.

Now the lights have gone out of his eyes. You have just killed a man in the comfort of your own home.

Your life has changed for-ev-er. You will never be the same man you were before you pulled that trigger. Old you is as dead as the now cooling lump of meat at your feet.

You have called the cops. They will be there any minute. What you do next will chart the course of the rest of your life. It all depends on what you are about the tell the officer, that is about enter your house.

He was coming right for me!

Yeah, donít do that.

I realize that the president of the Bugtussele Gun Club and Bait Shop is a really charismatic guy and it sounds like he knows what heís talking about. To hear him tell it heís killed dozens of home invaders. ďJust keep telling the cops, Ďhe was coming right for me. He was coming right for me.í Donít say anything else.Ē

In this scenario, the Uncle Jimbo Defense is going to get you pleading down to a charge of Second Degree Murder from Murder One. If you are really lucky, you will be pleading down to Manslaughter.

Why is that Cataline? You ask round eyed in wonder and astonishment at very possibility that Uncle Jimbo could ever be wrong.

Simple. The evidence doesnít match your story. Your Ďvictimí had two bullet holes in his back.

You donít get to choose your cop.

Admittedly 95% of the cops are alright. They know perfectly well that legal gun owners aren't the problem. I am not anti-cop. However, there are 5% that hate the idea that anyone who isn't them has a legal right to carry. Those few will go after you.

You donít get to choose your prosecutor.

Most will be reasonable about your life being on the line and you did whatever you had to do, to defend it. However, a few will view this a golden opportunity to send a message to legal gun owners everywhere. They will twist every single aspect of story into a tale of gun fueled hyper rage.

The DA is not going to try and get a conviction for Murder One and win it in front of a jury. He will build as strong a case as he can for Murder Two and then tell your lawyer he will accept a plea bargain for manslaughter. The two of them will then negotiate your sentence.

Your job is to give your DA as little material as possible to work with. So shut the fuck up at the earliest opportunity. It mostly comes down to your own word against you

You donít get to choose your jury.

If it goes to a jury, God help you. Donít tell yourself the stupidest of lies, "no jury in the world, will convict me."

They can.

They do.

They will.

It only takes one bullying SJW to cow a jury of beta males/females, into a life shattering conviction. Yes, SJWs will hate you for defending your family with a gun, instinctively. They will try to punish you for it.

So what do you do?

If you buy a gun and plan to use it defend yourself and your family. You have to have plan for the aftermath of that event.

1. Call 911

Ideally you did that at the moment of break in and before you pulled the trigger. The phone is your second best friend in this situation. You probably called on a cell phone, so first thing; (a) the moment you are connected to 911, repeat your address twice.

Then say, Ďsend the police.í You can give the rest of your information as the operator asks for it. Cell phones cannot be traced in anything like real time. Give your address, first. You might be more in luck with a land line but why take chances?

Second: leave the phone ON the entire time and shout things that your lawyer will find useful in court, ďI AM IN THE BEDROOM AND I AM ARMED! IF YOU COME IN HERE, I WILL FEEL THREATENED!Ē

911 is recording everything and its all admissible in court.

Keep that in mind too screaming, "Die, muthafucker!" Will likely go against you with the law.

2. Put your gun down

If there are no more threats and the cops are on the way, itís time to find a good place for your weapon. Do not have a gun in your hand when a hyper adrenalized young man in his early twenties with a badge enters your house. It will put him in a ďheightened state of awareness,Ē cops are never frightened. They just enter a ďheightened state of awareness,Ē just ask any cop on the witness stand, they will use those exact same words. Do not put a cop into a, ďheightened state of awareness,Ē by having a gun in your hand. Top of the fridge is fine.

Caveat; putting the gun in your gun-safe is not fine. It is bad because ALL of your guns will be confiscated as evidence if you do that.

3. Tell the cops where your gun is.

Thatís required and in fact supersedes your Miranda rights. Yes, you have to tell them, so tell them.

Top of the fridge, like I said. Or in it for that matter

Grab one for yourself officer.

4. Ask to be read your rights.

Do it respectfully. Donít be a dick about it. The cops have got a job to do.

But so do you and its to stay out of prison.

Part of that job is to avoid needlessly pissing off the cops. Once you have told them where your gun is, politely ask to be read your rights. Ignore any questions they immediately pepper you with, after you have told them where your gun is.

5. Say, you will not speak without your attorney present.

The moment you claim Self Defense, you have reversed the Burden of Proof;

You didn't have to prove anything until you opened your mouth. The moment you say, "I didn't have a choice officer." Or worse, "he was coming right for me." You just entered a plea before the court without a lawyer at your dumbass side.

Say nothing from that point on.

If the cops then say something like, "he's acting like a guilty man." Continue to be silent and tell your lawyer. I promise you, your lawyer will be do his happy dance when he hears about that because he is going home early after the judge throws the case out.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SIGN A WAIVER OF YOUR RIGHTS!!!

Yes, the police will be all friendly and polite and "it's all just a formality"...Until you sign that fucking thing. Then the cops are free to interrogate you for days and you no longer have a Right to Silence because you literally signed that one away. You are required by law at that point to keep answering questions and sooner or later you will say something that will end you.

REMEMBER; If the cops try to get you to sign a Waiver of Your Rights they are actively trying to convict you of something.

6. Okay then. Thatís it. I've said the magic words, "I will not speak without the presence of my attorney."

Am I done?

Okay, actually you're not done.

Not by a damn sight.

You will be arrested. Thatís happening, plan for it accordingly.

You will absolutely be investigated for Second Degree Murder. Thatís happening, plan for it accordingly.

Have a lawyer picked out, well in advance. That one is vitally important. he needs to be familiar with the case law.

I would also strongly recommend a membership on USCCA. [Elenor/SnowTao's comment: I recommend, instead, Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network, Inc. The USCCA only pays out AFTER you are found not guilty. ACLDN throws an immediate $10k at you for lawyer retainer, expert witness investigator, whatever... Do you research before deciding which "insurance" you want to have! ACLDN also have a list of local lawyers who know the self-defense law in your state, for you to interview "before need" to create a relationship and have someone SPECIFIC to call if you get into an incident.] Think of it as AAA for concealed carry owners. They have a hot list of lawyers familiar with the relevant case law in your state. Also Insurance for court costs. Also insurance against lawsuits by the surviving family members of the guy you just shot. Thatís happening too, you will be sued. Also immediate bail money. Also compensation from lost wages while you are in court. These are all very good things.

Look. I get it.

You want to tell the cops everything so you can just get this nightmare over with. After all thatís how it works on TV, when itís clear case of self defense. Right? The cops take your word for everything. The body gets carted away. You have a ham sandwich before going back to bed and hope the cleaning fairies get the the blood off everything before you wake up.

Guess what. That only happens on TV.

You donít know how you are going to behave in this situation until it happens to you. No one does. But if you have a gun you are going to use for self defense. Be prepared for the aftermath

And. Have. A. Plan.
Oreste, Hoffbrew and WhiteEagle58 like this.
SnowTao is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-16-2016, 09:14 AM   #2

In future interactions with the police, I will also ask them to turn on their dash cams and personal cameras while my wife videos the interview with her smart phone.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:32 AM   #3

We are members of US Law Shield. As members they have our personal profile (who we are, where we live, list of people to contact on our behalf) and one phone call will get me a lawyer that is familiar with firearm related cases. I keep the card with my CCW and drivers license. If I am involved in a shooting (God forbid) I will insist on contacting my attorney. One phone call, then I clam up until he/she arrives.
Hoffbrew likes this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2016, 12:04 PM   #4

Red face

Good advice but I believe your information on USCCA is no longer accurate? They now request you call them as soon as possible as they will begin with funds to post bail.

As many here, I hope to never need this service but I went ahead and found a reputable attorney, stopped by his office and asked if I could post a retainer fee? While he refused the retainer, he did say to put his card in my wallett and call him ASAP!

Plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Russ
Chuck43 and Hoffbrew like this.
Old 07-16-2016, 12:39 PM   #5

Why would you ask to be read your rights? Just don't say anything, and tell them you want a lawyer. Ask if you are free to go.
Chuck43 likes this.

Last edited by Gmountain; 07-16-2016 at 01:54 PM.
Gmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 02:44 PM   #6

I have Texas Law Shield premium. Carrying a firearm is a major responsibility. Very few people have to use a firearm in self defense but the repercussions can be a devastating life ruining experience. Even if proven innocent of wrong doing in a court of law in the aftermath it can still ruin a person financially with costs of defense and worse could mean a difference of wrongly leading to a conviction if not handled properly. I look at it the same way I do house insurance or medical insurance...it is not likely my house will burn down or that I will need a million dollars in medical treatment from a catastrophic injury or illness but I can't afford not to have insurance on those. I look at it like insurance and with the best legal advice/help included from the experts who will fight for you and pay the expenses should it ever be needed.
Chuck43 and Hoffbrew like this.
fifthgear is offline   Reply With Quote