DeSantis Thumb Break Scabbard - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Concealed Carry

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2014, 07:22 AM   #1

DeSantis Thumb Break Scabbard

I carry my Kimber 1911 in Condition 1 in a DeSantis Thumb Break Scabbard OWB holster THUMB BREAK SCABBARD, Kimber Holster, DesantisHolster.com. I have other thumb breaks for other handguns and am accustomed to this style, so getting used to the thumb break for the 1911 was not an issue. I thought I'd offer a few observations up for fellow members.

My holster is certainly sturdy and well-made. The inside is relatively smooth and makes for an unencumbered draw. It does a good job of keeping the gun close to my torso when using an appropriate 1 1/2" belt. The thumb-snap, when disengaged, does not interfere with drawing the weapon. The holster was not overly tight when new and no issues were encountered in breaking it in. The lower front belt loop seems superfluous.

I am not sure the full size 1911 readily lends itself to OWB concealed carry, but when attempting to do so, the DeSantis Thumb Break Scabbard seems to be an acceptable solution.

Jim
bldr52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-18-2014, 07:56 AM   #2

Thanks for the review. I agree, he lower belt loop seems superfluous. Looks as though use of that loop would make the rig very top heavy.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:53 AM   #3

Does the front lower loop allow for cross draw?
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2014, 04:41 PM   #4

Not really, Nellybelle. It more or less make the weapon ride vertically. I agree with the others. It is a waste of time, effort and material. If one wants a vertical carry holster DeSantis and many others make several products that will do just that.
I have their "Mini Slide" for my 3 inch. I like it for essentially the same reasons bldr52 pointed out. Minus the thumb break.

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never has been and never will be. T Jefferson
pbsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:39 PM   #5

Since I had experienced success with my DeSantis OWB, I took the plunge and ordered a DeSantis IWB. Mine is the Mad Max model. I have only begun to experiment with it. Gun fit and workmanship are fine. At my age (nearly 62), and with the wear and tear my right arm and shoulder have suffered over the years, it has been a challenge so far to just put the thing on. Once on and cinched up with a good belt, it does about as good a job as can be expected in keeping my 5" Eclipse snug to my torso. What I have not yet been able to figure out is how to draw the gun! It just does not want to come out!

Jim
bldr52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:01 PM   #6

Exclamation Holy Concealed Carry, Batman!!

Originally Posted by bldr52 View Post
Since I had experienced success with my DeSantis OWB, I took the plunge and ordered a DeSantis IWB. Mine is the Mad Max model. I have only begun to experiment with it. Gun fit and workmanship are fine. At my age (nearly 62), and with the wear and tear my right arm and shoulder have suffered over the years, it has been a challenge so far to just put the thing on. Once on and cinched up with a good belt, it does about as good a job as can be expected in keeping my 5" Eclipse snug to my torso. What I have not yet been able to figure out is how to draw the gun! It just does not want to come out!

Jim
If the gun does not come out, it is not a holster, it's a decoration!!! I'd go back to that OWB REAL FAST!!!

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:21 PM   #7

Wink My 2 Cents Worth!!

After reading an article by Sheriff Jim Wilson a number of years ago, I went with his advice. I ordered open top concealment holsters for all my pistols. For a civilian carrying concealed, extreme retention devices are not a necessity. All that is required is enough tension on the pistol to keep it in the holster during physical exertion. If your weapon is concealed, nobody is going to attempt to take it from you.

So, the open top OWB holster works just fine for the average law abiding, concealed carrying citizen. In addition, it leaves one less thing to think about in a life threatening situation: that thumb break!! I now carry my EDC pistols (I switch off between a Smith and Wesson M&P40 Shield, a full size M&P40 and my Kimber Pro Carry II .45) in either a Blackhawk Check Six, a Blackhawk Model 28 Askins Compact Concealment or a Bianchi Model 57 Remedy holster.
M&P40 in Blackhawk Check Six Holster.JPG M&P 40 FS in Bianchi M57 Holster.JPG
M&P40 in Blackhawk Check Six_M&P40 in Bianchi M-57
1911.and.Bianchi.57.holster.jpg M&P40 Shield in Blackhawk Askins Compact Concealment Holster.JPG
1911 in Bianchi M-57___Shield in Blackhawk Askin's

All three keep the pistol high and close to the body, with little to no printing. How do they work? Well, let's say that the pistol comes out faster than crap through a goose!!! It works for me!!

Thanks Sheriff Wilson!!
MPO Southy and Richard like this.

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter

Last edited by Lineman; 07-07-2014 at 10:38 PM.
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:59 PM   #8

I use the DeSantis thumb break scabbard for cross draw. My department required all holsters to have a retention strap. I became so accustomed to them that it was never an issue. I got mine from Kimber with their name on it.

As for civilian use, it may not be necessary but if you are unfortunate enough to be tipped over by a fall, a traffic accident or any number of un-imaginable misfortunes, you may find it to be handy.
Highpockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:00 PM   #9

Question to the OP. I just purchased and returned this same holster. Seemed that the thumbreak would turn off my manual safety. .........Does it do that to yours too or did I just get a bad one?
NothernKimbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:49 PM   #10

Northernkimbah I had same problem with my thumb break holster, are you left handed? I was carrying my ultra covert with no problem, then took my Crimson trace off, had ambi safety installed and started having same problem, I noticed my safety keep getting switched off. I had two custom open top holsters made and love them, no problems at all. Left handed holsters with thumb break and ambi safety's don't mix ,

Zoomybaby is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page
crossdraw holster with thumb break
desantis mini slide 1911 review
desantis scabbard kimber ultra
desantis thumb break 1911 safety comes off
desantis thumb break scabbard forum

desantis thumb break scabbard review

forums desantis thumb break scarrab
is a thumb break scabbard good for cc
Click on a term to search for related topics.