Concealed Carry In The Winter Educate Me - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Concealed Carry

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2014, 07:40 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Concealed Carry In The Winter Educate Me

This will be my first winter with a CCL and I have a couple of questions about it. It gets cold up here below zero and heavy winds aren't unusual. At times a heavy parka and gloves are required apparel but how the heck do you draw a gun buried under a heavy parka with gloves on. What's the preferred method of carry under conditions like that, IWB, OWB or pocket carry. During my first summer I pocket carried my .380 and I felt it was adequate for lightly dressed people but facing someone in heavy clothing I'm thinking one of my .45's is more in line. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Chuck43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-06-2014, 08:02 PM   #2
Super Moderator

It gets that cold here on the shore of Lake Erie. When I have to dress for the extreme cold, I carry a j frame revolver in my coat pocket and a 1911 on my belt. The j frame can buy you the time to get to your 1911 and could be fired through your coat pocket if necessary. This method is similar in theory as using your handgun to fight your way to your long gun in a shtf situation.

Ohio Chl holder
NRA member
Old age isn't for sissy's
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:21 PM   #3

I rarely where a coat even on the coldest days but if I do it's one of my Carhartts with a flapless front pocket that holds my M&P Shield and one of my PC2's on my hip..
I wear hoodies and turtlenecks from Dec-Feb and that helps with concealment and if I wear gloves, they are tight fitting thin leather..
Chuck43 likes this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2014, 08:27 PM   #4

I live in Florida....what's a parka?!?
RetiredFCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:43 AM   #5

I live in Michigan, Chuck, and I carry my .380 Micro Carry or my Solo in the coat pocket which ever fits my coat pocket best and most comfortable and easy access. If my 380 is the coat carry I might carry my Solo OWB under my sweater as back up. In winter I use FMJ in the Micro 380 or LCP instead of JHP.
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:21 AM   #6

Good topic, and not something I've ever really considered. I like winter carry, because I can wear a sweatshirt or jacket and have my IWB with a shirt between the gun and me, and a covering garment. It's more comfortable.

If I had to wear a heavy winter coat or gloves, I think a compact revolver in my pocket would be my choice. No fumbling with slides, larger trigger guard, and can be fired in a pocket (as long as there is no exposed hammer.)

I think it's worth practicing with gloves on to see how a gun handles. With mittens on, forget it.
Chuck43 likes this.
Gmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:41 AM   #7

There is a serious downside in winter clothing to carrying a small pocket gun. A greater chance of the bullet being slowed or deflected by layers of heavy winter clothing. The guns that are easiest to carry are probably the least likely to work effectively, although I still wouldn't stand in front of one.

A compact 10mm revolver would be nice.
Chuck43 likes this.
Gmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:54 AM   #8

10mm compact revolver sounds painful to shoot. Might prefer getting shot.
Oreste likes this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:12 AM   #9
Banned

I have an extra extra large belt that I wrap around my several layers of clothing to open carry. I was concerned about weather on my pistol, but now have a stainless Ruger and the holster has the protective flap. It's not fashionable, but access is easy. I went this way after seeing fresh mountain lion tracks along my dog walking route last year.

Couldn't find my Lion tracks picture. Here's one of a pair of Alpha wolf tracks. Came accross this pair of wolfs several times last year during hunting season.

Oh, and the bear tracks I also found.

Found it, Mountain Lion Tracks.
Chuck43 and Insta-Gator like this.

Last edited by montanaResident; 08-20-2015 at 01:53 PM.
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:17 AM   #10

Originally Posted by montanaResident View Post
I have an extra extra large belt that I wrap around my several layers of clothing to open carry. I was concerned about weather on my pistol, but now have a stainless Ruger and the holster has the protective flap. It's not fashionable, but access is easy. I went this way after seeing fresh mountain lion tracks along my dog walking route last year.

Couldn't find my Lion tracks picture. Here's one of a pair of Alpha wolf tracks. Came accross this pair of wolfs several times last year during hunting season.

Oh, and the bear tracks I also found.

Found it, Mountain Lion Tracks.

Man if I lived where you lived, I be packing 460 rowland pistol and a 10mm will be my back up... just saying...

-Shin0bi1
Chuck43 and montanaResident like this.
shin0bi1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

best self defense ammo for kimber ultra carry

shtf

Click on a term to search for related topics.