Head shots - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Concealed Carry

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2017, 07:19 AM   #1

Head shots

So I've had a question rattling around my brain for a little while now and it relates to head shots. Specifically the "3 to the chest, 1 (or 2) to the head" philosophy. When you shoot the shot(s) to the head in practice, do you intentionally aim low (at the mouth maybe) because wouldn't the natural reaction of a person who has been shot be to look down, thus lowering the center of their head? Or is the philosophy that your 4 (or 5) shots would be so fast that they wouldn't have time to react and look down. Being realistic, I don't know that I would get 4-5 shots off that fast. I'm just not that fast of a shooter, nor that accurate. Would I be better served putting as many rounds as I have at center mass and avoiding head shots all together? What are everyone's thoughts for someone that doesn't get the chance to practice every week or even as often as I would like/need?
starnovi likes this.
Remove Ads
Old 02-17-2017, 08:15 AM   #2

I don't worry about head shots. Too great a risk of missing in my thinking. As many as I can get to the chest area. Or if in a hands on struggle, anywhere I can point it, especially to chest and or pelvic area.
starnovi likes this.
shockfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:20 AM   #3

The object of shooting center mass is to disrupt as many of the vital organs as possible. Center mass should be your first line of fire.
In the even that the subject will not go down, headshot should do the trick. But practice practice practice. Use the correct ammo.

I always practice head shots. If I can hit the pineapple, center mass should be a win.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Chuck43 and starnovi like this.

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2017, 10:08 PM   #4

As the shooter (gun) comes up on target start firing at the crotch and continue right on up to wherever. Crotch to the top of the head staying centered is giving you a vast target area.This as opposed to going left to right or right to left trying to get to center of mass. Speed and accuracy.Not counting rounds on target, keep shooting. Two and then one or two more to the head takes concentrated time, just SHOOT. IMO
Chuck43, speedydg13 and starnovi like this.
Snake15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 04:25 AM   #5

It's technically two to the chest, one to the head. It's call the Mozambique method.
If I recall John Wick (the movie) does a lot of chest shots, then one to the head to finish the job.
I would just practice the method. If/when the time comes I'm sure you will aim at whatever you can see.
GRISSSE likes this.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 05:58 AM   #6
Super Moderator

It's not going to be like shooting at the range and there is a good chance you will be in contact with your attacker or at least arms length away. I want the biggest target possible because I doubt I'll be in a position to take well aimed shots. The odds are that first one or two is going to be strictly point shooting.
Marshall, DaveinNC and GRISSSE like this.

Last edited by Chuck43; 02-21-2017 at 06:02 PM.
Chuck43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 05:04 PM   #7

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
It's technically two to the chest, one to the head. It's call the Mozambique method.
If I recall John Wick (the movie) does a lot of chest shots, then one to the head to finish the job.
I would just practice the method. If/when the time comes I'm sure you will aim at whatever you can see.
Correct method name, and what they started training us when a concern came up about "bad guys" wearing body armor.

Since I've retired, I've also heard of training now where it's not the two to the chest, then if it doesn't stop the threat, one to the head, but to fire center mass, and keep firing, keeping the rounds impacting the threat's centerline till they stop. The recoil will cause upward creep and should line you up from his/her chest to head, if needed.

Under stress, you can't depend on the ability to count rounds. You WILL revert to your training when under stress, so you have to train in that manner to react well, when under it.

Keeping the reversion to training idea in mind, I remember a shootout the local Sheriff's Dept had several years back I got the aftermath info on from a Deputy I knew. Barricaded suspect fired on the Deputies and a reserve (who was an assistant DA). They all did NOT return fire immediately when rounds started coming their direction, but thankfully, did take cover.

They couldn't explain why they didn't immediately respond to the threat until, I BELIEVE (could be wrong) under hypnosis, or maybe just post op briefings, they all indicated they didn't return fire because they were "waiting for the whistle to blow." Apparently their range training required them to hold fire till a whistle blew. As a result, their training was changed. Luckily for our department, we always trained "at will" once the line was hot.

Sorry if this veered off topic a bit, but I just wanted to reinforce the notion about stress causes you to revert to training.
Chuck43, 2sharp2, Spotly and 2 others like this.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:31 PM   #8

Excellent post, Speedy.
I always wondered how it came about. Body armor.

Because gun forums like scenarios...
Now put yourself in a situation where you are carrying your .380 micro gun and your attacker is wearing everything he owns and jacked up on something and it might not be a bad thing to practice and get in the habit of.

Thanks again for the insight.
shockfinder and GRISSSE like this.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:21 AM   #9

Originally Posted by speedydg13 View Post
Sorry if this veered off topic a bit, but I just wanted to reinforce the notion about stress causes you to revert to training.
Speedy, that may have been a little off topic but it was GREAT information.

As a result, what I'm getting is 1) how you practice is how you are most likely to react when a situation arises, and 2) the main reason for one to the head is to eliminate the possibility of body armor and don't worry about the possibility of the attacker lowering their head.
speedydg13 likes this.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:23 PM   #10

Practice head shots for the zombie Apocalypse
GRISSSE likes this.
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote