Holster wear on the pistol - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Concealed Carry

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2017, 06:32 AM   #1

Holster wear on the pistol

So while I wait for my CCP, I'm looking for a holster for my two tone ultra carry II.
I was wondering which material causes wear on the finish, kydex or leather. I first thought that kydex would be the worst, but then I think about how stiff the leather is.

Any thoughts ?

I know I'm getting ready to start my holster drawer. I just hope it's not a LARGE drawer !!
NCMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-19-2017, 07:10 AM   #2
Super Moderator

I used to use a kydex holster until I noticed the wear on the edge of the slide of the gun I was carrying. I switched over to leather and haven't looked back. The gun on my side now is a Kimber Ultra Tactical carried daily for over a year in a Wright Leather Works holster without a mark on it.
Nellybelle and Mini Me like this.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:10 AM   #3

Based on my experience, they will both show wear. The abrasion comes primarily from the dirt and grit that deposits on the holster and gun that creates the wear when your holster or de-holster.

If you want a presentation type rig, then go with a leather holster that is lined with soft sheepskin or goatskin. I had one made that way for a vintage Colt Peacemaker in nickel plate, but I would not call it a practical rig for any more than "formal wear Western Style".

Let us know what you decide.
OGCA - Life Member
Cybercycle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2017, 07:23 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Cybercycle View Post
Based on my experience, they will both show wear. The abrasion comes primarily from the dirt and grit that deposits on the holster and gun that creates the wear when your holster or de-holster.
Cleaning their holster is something that I'd bet 95% of the people that carry guns neglect to do. When I clean my carry gun even if it hasn't been shot I clean my carry holster. I use Fiebing's foaming saddle soap, it's fast and easy to do.
Nellybelle, Hoffbrew, JC45 and 6 others like this.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:09 AM   #5

Great idea Chuck. I never thought of cleaning a holster.

After the replies, I think I'll look for a leather holster.

Now I just need to decide on IWB or OWB. I'll probably end up buying one of each and start my drawer collection with the one I don't use.
NCMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:36 AM   #6

Been carrying my CDP Ultra every time I leave the house for the past four years in a Kimber OWB leather holster. CDP still looks new. It goes in and out of the holster when I leave and come home and becomes the house/night stand pistol each trip.
Nellybelle and Hoffbrew like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 11:23 AM   #7

Holster wear on the pistol

I carry IWB most of the time and prefer Kydex for that purpose. It does wear more then my leather OWB's do. But my guns are tools not safe queens and a few scratches and wear add character.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 12:31 PM   #8

Originally Posted by NCMike View Post
So while I wait for my CCP, I'm looking for a holster for my two tone ultra carry II.
I was wondering which material causes wear on the finish, kydex or leather. I first thought that kydex would be the worst, but then I think about how stiff the leather is.

I've only just got my first kydex holster. I'm very happy with it, even though they say it will wear my gun more quickly. It's too soon to tell, though.

I've been using leather holsters since I got my CCW three years ago, and none of the guns show holster wear.

With everything else being equal, I'll go with the leather. It just looks nicer. It's hidden and nobody else sees it, but it matters. Nice socks, nice underwear, a nice glass for your bourbon, a pretty Kimber... the differences are subtle, but can make life just a little bit better.
Nellybelle and Hoffbrew like this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 03:00 PM   #9

Couldn't the kydex holsters be lined with felt or another soft material fairly easily? With a spray on glue. Just wondering.
Snake15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:27 AM   #10

Originally Posted by Snake15 View Post
Couldn't the kydex holsters be lined with felt or another soft material fairly easily? With a spray on glue. Just wondering.
I would think you would need to account for that material thickness in the fabrication process. My kydex holster is pretty tight and I don't imagine I could fit even a couple millimeters into it w/out compromising the fit of the gun.