Kydex IWB Holster fit problems - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Concealed Carry

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2017, 12:21 PM   #1

Kydex IWB Holster fit problems

I am new to concealed carry and I need some advice from the experts (that means you guys and gals.) I have a Kydex IWB holster that I wear at about 3:00 and it starts digging into my hip at the end of the barrel after several hours (+5). Does anyone else have this problem and if so, what have you done to rectify it?

For the record, I don't like AIWB and rotating it farther back makes driving and sitting in my office chair a bit uncomfortable and causes printing issues.

Thank you in advance for any advice you may have.
Remove Ads
Old 03-28-2017, 12:40 PM   #2

I should also add that I am about 6'-1" and 200 lbs with a pretty average/athletic build.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IWB Front.jpg (3.83 MB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IWB Side.jpg (1.50 MB, 24 views)
Old 03-28-2017, 04:02 PM   #3

I don't really like 3 o'clock. It rests right on my hip bone. I like it back where the top of the slide crosses just behind the belt loop that is about where your trigger is. I also like a bit more cant to help with printing. To be honest, though, I don't really like my straight up kydex holster. Since I've gone to my Alien Gear I've found the barrel doesn't dig in nearly as much. There's neoprene in between the gun and my hip. Of course, I wear it for 12-15 hours per day and nothing is completely comfortable for that long.
GRISSSE likes this.
shockfinder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2017, 04:40 PM   #4

You say sitting in your office chair, would your office attire cover a shoulder holster? One of the most comfortable if your sitting or driving a lot. I have a Galco Jackass rig for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GRISSSE likes this.
Albert.Cairns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:47 PM   #5

I've noticed this, too, with that style of holster. I start off in the morning and everything is good, and then by the end of the day, it's kind of uncomfortable. However, I don't have this at all using a holster with dual, offset belt loops. I think it's because the pressure of the gun is spread over a larger area. The holsters I have in this style are a couple Milt Sparks VM2's, and more recently a Crossbreed Mini-Tuck. If you're wearing for an extended period, I think this is the way to go.
shockfinder likes this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:50 AM   #6

I've been looking a IWB holsters for my new gun and I have looked at several hybrid holsters and most recommended 3:30-4:30 position. Maybe you just need to reposition your holster.
Hoffbrew and GRISSSE like this.
JC45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 05:23 AM   #7

My current EDC is a Clinger "No-Print Wonder" holster that carries really well at 4:00.

Before I started carrying my 1911, I carried my XDm .40 in a Crossbreed Super-tuck. Once broke in, really comfortable for me. Wore this at 4:00 as well.
GRISSSE likes this.
Fredneck72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:07 AM   #8

We are close to same build, IWB does not work for me, OWB @ 4:00 has been the ticket. I am stuck in the office as well, so very comfortable.
GRISSSE likes this.

Always be ready - 5.11
Hoffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 12:11 PM   #9

Thanks for all the comments. I think I'm gonna try a Crossbreed Minituck. I really think the Clinger No-Print Wonder has some promise but I'm afraid of getting another all-kydex holster. I've also considered the Banshee from Wright Leather Works but it doesn't appear to have a cant to it and I prefer at least a 10 degree and maybe more like a 20 degree cant.

I would be willing to try repositioning to 3:30-4:00 but keeping it at 3:00 with a nice cant keeps the grip of the firearm nestled into my love handles (which likely aren't going anywhere.)

Unfortunately a shoulder holster is not a realistic option as I typically wear a t-shirt and that would make the gun very unaccessible. Thanks again for all of your comments.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:02 AM   #10

I've been looking at all kinds of holsters for my Sig 938 and haven't decided on one yet but here is a company I found on Amazon that has some nice holsters that are fairly inexpensive. I really want a Wright Leather Holster but not sure I want one for this gun. I've never purchased one of these Winthrop holsters but I'm considering one. Just something else for you to look at.

Concealed Carry Holsters | Leather Gun Belt | Concealed Carry Purse
Hoffbrew likes this.
JC45 is online now   Reply With Quote