Deciding whether to keep my Micro .380 - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Concealed Carry

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2017, 01:52 PM   #1

Deciding whether to keep my Micro .380

So Black Friday I picked up a Micro .380. I thought I would use it to pocket carry. I already have the Micro 9.

After a bit of time I find that I never carry it. If I am going to pocket carry my Taurus TCP just works better. It's smaller and slimmer. It's not as fun to shoot, but if I'm carrying in my pocket it is a deep conceal decision, not a desire to carry that way.

Any other carry style (usually IWB at 4:30) and I can't find a significant advantage in carrying the .380 over the 9. The grip and extended mag take up almost exactly the same real estate. Although the barrel is slightly shorter it isn't more comfortable. I weighed both the Micro 9 and the .380 with extended mag and 1 in the chamber and the .380 is only about 4.5oz lighter. There is some slight level of comfort in carrying that quarter pound less.

But I'd rather have the 9mm over the .380 in any defensive situation. And all other things being equal, the 9mm is going to be carried every time.

I don't really want firearms that I don't use and feel are redundant. I think I'd rather let the .380 go and look for something that's different than what I currently have.

Thoughts on the decision making process? I'm actually carrying the .380 today to see if there was any noticeable difference in carry comfort and concealability. There isn't for me.
shockfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-03-2017, 02:17 PM   #2

I agree with you, I prefer to carry twice as much horsepower a 9 mm. But my wife handles the 380 micro very well and that's her preferred every day carry. She has a Kimber Micro Bel Air, a Kimber Micro CDP LG, a Sig Sauer P238 Rainbow with a CT Laser guard, a Sig P238 Nitron with a CT Laser guard and a S&W Body Guard w laser. How does your significant other like your Micro 380?
How about keeping it as a BUG. (2 can be 1; 1 can be none)
cousinmark, starnovi and BobG971 like this.

Last edited by Cucamonga kid; 04-03-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Cucamonga kid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:40 PM   #3

After reading your post, shockfinder, it seems you have made up your mind with respect to the 380. Sounds like it needs to "go" if you don't want a gun you don't intend to use. Let us know what you decide...
OGCA - Life Member
Cybercycle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2017, 05:54 PM   #4

Maybe a picture would help us decide.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:59 PM   #5

Originally Posted by Cucamonga kid View Post
LOL

After my .380 issues I had to find a temporary (or so I thought) carry, and that turned into a buying spree. Now, we need a new safe
Hoffbrew likes this.
380help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:39 PM   #6

I agree with you, I prefer to carry twice as much horsepower a 9 mm. But my wife handles the 380 micro very well and that's her preferred every day carry. She has a Kimber Micro Bel Air, a Kimber Micro CDP LG, a Sig Sauer P238 Rainbow with a CT Laser guard, a Sig P238 Nitron with a CT Laser guard and a S&W Body Guard w laser. How does your significant other like your Micro 380?
How about keeping it as a BUG. (2 can be 1; 1 can be none)
I wish my wife liked guns. She really doesn't like that I have them, but she puts up with it. I have noticed a few times recently where she seemed relieved that I was carrying, so she may be warming to it. If she wanted to shoot, it would be my first offering. I'd love for her to have it and carry it. But not yet...or anytime soon, I fear.

Close your eyes...imagine a 1911 in stainless with rosewood grips. Now shrink it down to a 2.8 inch barrel and change some of the internals so they will work better in a tiny package. Remove the grip safety. Got it? That's my Micro in .380.

Btw, Middle TN is well represented around here!
Tejun likes this.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:43 PM   #7

Got the picture thanks. It took me years to get my wife to want to carry. She has her permit now and never leaves home without it.
Tejun and shockfinder like this.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:37 PM   #8

The power of a .380 isn't your grandfathers .380. Advances in powder and design have the .380 a good round for self defense. Perfect for a lady that doesn't want to deal with more recoil and has plenty pf penetration for summer wear a perfect pistol to carry summertime. Easy to conceal and quick follow up shots. When the wife is outside shopping or whatever it's a Kimber Micro .380 to carry. When she's in the house it's a 12 gauge riot pump with OOO buck shot. Pssst, she's shot the 870 pump but only with bird shot. The first .000 will still be a shock and and doubtful to have a follow up but if she needs it it's there to shoot, I'm questioning if it will be needed. I have faith that if she needs it she will follow it up. Bottom line, nothing beats a 12 gauge with home defense. We discuss pistols quite a bit because there's nothing else to be said about the Shotgun.
Markie likes this.

Last edited by Elapid; 04-03-2017 at 11:50 PM.
Elapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:55 AM   #9

Originally Posted by Elapid View Post
The power of a .380 isn't your grandfathers .380. Advances in powder and design have the .380 a good round for self defense. Perfect for a lady that doesn't want to deal with more recoil and has plenty pf penetration for summer wear a perfect pistol to carry summertime. Easy to conceal and quick follow up shots. When the wife is outside shopping or whatever it's a Kimber Micro .380 to carry. When she's in the house it's a 12 gauge riot pump with OOO buck shot. Pssst, she's shot the 870 pump but only with bird shot. The first .000 will still be a shock and and doubtful to have a follow up but if she needs it it's there to shoot, I'm questioning if it will be needed. I have faith that if she needs it she will follow it up. Bottom line, nothing beats a 12 gauge with home defense. We discuss pistols quite a bit because there's nothing else to be said about the Shotgun.
Completely agree with this. But I have a .380 that better fills my needs I think. Maybe I hold onto the Micro and hope my wife comes around. I've got a 12 gauge loaded the same way, however it's much easier to answer the door with a pistol in your pocket than a 12 guage! But if you break in, the 12 is what you will see.
Markie and Cucamonga kid like this.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:05 PM   #10

Originally Posted by shockfinder View Post
Completely agree with this. But I have a .380 that better fills my needs I think. Maybe I hold onto the Micro and hope my wife comes around. I've got a 12 gauge loaded the same way, however it's much easier to answer the door with a pistol in your pocket than a 12 guage! But if you break in, the 12 is what you will see.
I prefer to rack my Mossberg before opening the door. If I hear, "hey, hey it's me don't shoot" and I recognize the voice I know all is good.
380help is offline   Reply With Quote