Kimber Talk Forums banner

Bianchi holster for Ultra Carry II

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  NothernKimbah 
#1 ·
I had a thumb-break Bianchi Yanqui Slide holster left over from my Detonics' days. I was quite distressed to find that the strap depressed the ambidextrous safeties enough on the Kimber to disengage them.

In doing research I sought out a Bianchi product (I think they make some of the best quality products I've used) that locked the pistol securely into place, but did not touch the safety levers or the laser optics pad. I chose the model shown below.

It has a unique latch locking the pistol by the trigger guard. The detachment lever does not have to be depressed to re-holster the pistol, it drops easily into place. By laying your fingers against the lever on the draw, the Kimber slides effortlessly into the hand. Easy in, easy out, secure at all times.

I still want to run another +/-100 rounds through the Kimber, but I think this combo is a winner.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have seen this holster, but I have to admit, I don't understand the need for it. As an off duty rig for an active cop who must comply with department policy regarding retention, it may have some merit. But for the average civilian, carrying for self defense, I see it as an extra hindrance that must be trained for.
If this is the only holster you ever use and you train for its use, then go for it. Bianchi does build quality. If this is not your only holster, then please, for your own safety, choose one or the other. An emergency is not the time to try to remember what rig you are carrying.

#3 · (Edited)
My 2 Cents Worth!!

I agee with PBSDaddy about the holster retention. I never thought much about it until I read an article by Sheriff Jim Wilson, when he wrote for Shooting Times magazine. He stated that retention is not a required attribute for a civilian concealed carry holster. By definition, the civilian concealed carry permit holder's pistol should be just that: concealed!!! Fighting to maintain control of your EDC pistol is not something that the average legally armed citizen will ever do. As Sheriff Wilson noted, a thumbsnap or other type of retention device is just one more thing to think about in an already stressful situation. While I chose thumb break holsters in the past, I no longer do. Thanks for the heads up Sheriff Wilson.

My current holster du jour is the Bianchi Model 57 Remedy Holster. It is an open top holster with no thumb break and passive tension to keep it where it belongs. It keeps my EDC pistol high and tight to my body, yet still draws smooth and easily!!
Brown Rectangle Everyday carry Gun accessory Wood
Glove Guitar accessory Handgun holster Font String instrument accessory

Kimber Pro Carry II 1911 and Smith & Wesson M&P40 with Bianchi Model 57 holsters
;););););););););););););)

Reactions: Tinman and Richard
#4 ·
Two things, guys.

First, like any other device, there's a learning curve. The first few times I drew the pistol it seemed "odd" or at least different. Now I do it without thinking.

Second thing--my wallet is also chained to me, and there's a reason. While my use of the Kimber will be a 50/50 mix this summer with my P238, the UC2 will see many miles on my bike. That means bouncing around and unexpected tar joints at highway speeds.

And I did not make the choice haphazardly. For almost two weeks I carried the Kimber in a traditional thumb-break Bianchi Yanqui slide. On two occasions the strap pushed the ambidextrous safeties off.

I needed carrying security, and a holster shape that did not press and the safeties or run afoul of the Crimson Trace activator pad. This holster meets all of my needs and expectations.

#5 ·
Mine May Not Work For You!!!

One size does not fit all!!! That is why I have a large box FULL of "PERFECT" holsters that I no longer use in my closet!! Each looked and/or sounded perfect at the time. Time and experience showed that opinion to be incorrect for each resident of that box!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Secure retention while riding a motorcycle is not a carry requirement for me. This fat old Georgia boy likes his Jeep!! Even if I'm off road, rough terrain has never jarred my pistol loose. The Bianchi Model 57 works for me, just like your Bianchi works for you. John Bianchi must be doing something right!!! :D:D:D

For me, Sheriff Wilson's idea of keeping it simple works just fine!! ;););)

#6 ·
I did mention the need to familiarize and I wholly appreciate the concept. If you misinterpreted my comments as condemnation, I apologize. They were not intended that way.
I too ride and have been both riding and carrying for a long, long time. For a while, I used a Bianchi Belt Slide with the thumb break. As time went on, I found I didn't need it and felt comfortable with an open top. If this holster meets your needs, then it's a good choice. My only real point was that if you use this type of holster, then use the same type for every gun you carry.

Reactions: Lineman
#7 ·
No, no, of course not. I understand a forum is for an exchange of ideas, and in the context of "Kimbers carried as licensed CCW ordnance," it's me who's the newb. Wisconsin got its CCW provision a just shy of three years ago, and my first Kimber is barely broken-in.

The holster, while a carefully selected item, is just like any other option in our discussion(s). Some will agree, some will disagree. We refine our beliefs in positive and polite debate.

But I'm not a soldier, nor a sworn officer, not a working mercenary or even a full-time active MC member. My needs for safety and security are easily met with better doors and windows and an ADT alarm system. Any firearm is an adjunct.

For my needs, the "quick draw" features I might have needed for IPSC competition are secondary. What I need is leather designed around the Kimber's features, and one that lashes the pistol down firmly for riding. This holster does that. In fact, it works so well I think Bianchi should mark some with the bar-and-shield.

Besides, considering the most obvious threat, take out your stop watch and time this scenario. Start timing now.

One, suppose you're a perp at the food court. Your hangin' with your tightest homely when a biker dares to stride upon your turf. You make sure your cap is on backwards, you hoist your pants over the crack in your ever-widening behind, you tell your three hos to scatter, you rack a .380 ACP into a Model 19 Glock (yeah, I know, I know, I'm making the story real--Chico), and then tip it sideways just like on the R Kelly videos. During these 17.8 seconds you happen to notice a dancing red light on your Oakland Raiders' jacket...

See? I have all the time in the world.

#8 · (Edited)
90% of my holsters besides my bianchi 57 have retention. either a thumb break, Safariland ALS system, twist lock, or a blackhawk type feature.

Why? I carry my sig 220/226 in my Safariland ALS 6360 Lvl III retention holster daily for my job as a Armed Rent-a-cop. This holster runs $200 on average and is the cutting edge of retention in law enforcement. Almost impossible for someone else to undo the three levels while still giving you a draw time of under 1 second.

I've been doing this for pushing a decade now. I've lost my gun a few times lol even with level III retention of above amazing holster.

I'm just paranoid :-D but that is by design, I feel more comfy knowing I am the only person who can physically remove my gun from my holster. Just how I work.

To each his own :)

The Holster that the OP posted, I have 2 and they are amazing :-D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.