Travelling to TX - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Concealed Carry

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2015, 01:15 PM   #1

Travelling to TX

Question for TX residents:

I'll be traveling to Dallas & Austin next month & would like to take along my EDC. I have a CCW permit from CO.

Are there any laws specific to TX that I should be concerned about? I'll be flying into Dallas & then driving a rental car to Austin.

Mario Andretti
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-12-2015, 01:25 PM   #2

I have no knowledge of the TX requirements, but make sure to check with your airline regarding their requirements for checked firearms. Usually things like a hard lockable case, gun locked, no ammo in the mag, etc.
Jflytle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 01:52 PM   #3

Look for the 30.06 sign wherever you go. (That's the Texas code. The number is a coincidence. Yeah, we laugh at that.) Google it to see the exact verbiage, but basically it marks don't carry areas. Anybody can put one up. Some business like Carmike theater and places like zoos post it. There are rules on what it has to say and how it's posted, but I don't spilt hairs when I see it, if it's close. You can't carry past the sign.

I do ignore signs that just say"no guns" our have a picture of a gun crossed out.

Places that make more than 50% of their revenue from alcohol sales have to post a 51% sign signifying no carry.

If nobody else posts it, I'll list the areas that are off limits regardless of signage. Pretty standard, hospitals, nursing homes, churches, schools, scholastic events, professional sporting events, dog tracks. I can't remember them all off hand. Not places I typically go. Some of these places allow you to leave it in the car. More tonight.
LinckG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2015, 02:23 PM   #4

Originally Posted by LinckG View Post

Places that make more than 50% of their revenue from alcohol sales have to post a 51% sign signifying no carry.
I'll just add to this that it's 51% of revenue from alcohol sales for on site consumption. Bars basically

That and the 30.06 signs are the only ones you need to worry about, all others can be ignored as LinckG stated.

"It is the unconquerable nature of man and not the nature of the weapon he uses that ensures victory"
General George S. Patton Jr.
ByrdMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:39 PM   #5
Super Moderator

I did a little digging and your Colorado CCW permit is honored in:
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

It is not honored in:

California, Connecticut, Guam, Hawaii, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, New York City, Ohio, Oregon, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Virgin Islands, Virginia, Washington, American Samoa, District of Columbia, N. Mariana Islands

Handgunlaws.us
is a site that everyone should have bookmarked if they ever intend to travel with a gun.
PatAz and Marshall like this.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:33 PM   #6

Originally Posted by LinckG View Post
Look for the 30.06 sign wherever you go. (That's the Texas code. The number is a coincidence. Yeah, we laugh at that.) Google it to see the exact verbiage, but basically it marks don't carry areas. Anybody can put one up. Some business like Carmike theater and places like zoos post it. There are rules on what it has to say and how it's posted, but I don't spilt hairs when I see it, if it's close. You can't carry past the sign.

I do ignore signs that just say"no guns" our have a picture of a gun crossed out.

If nobody else posts it, I'll list the areas that are off limits regardless of signage. Pretty standard, hospitals, nursing homes, churches, schools, scholastic events, professional sporting events, dog tracks. I can't remember them all off hand. Not places I typically go. Some of these places allow you to leave it in the car. More tonight.
Thanks for the info!

Do the 30.06 signs carry the weight of law? For example, in CO any business can post 'no carry' signs, but they don't have the weight of law. If you are noticed carrying in such a business all they can do is ask you to leave. If you refuse to leave you will be charged with trespassing.
Insta-Gator likes this.

Mario Andretti
Old 01-12-2015, 03:35 PM   #7

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
I did a little digging and your Colorado CCW permit is honored in:
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

It is not honored in:

California, Connecticut, Guam, Hawaii, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, New York City, Ohio, Oregon, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Virgin Islands, Virginia, Washington, American Samoa, District of Columbia, N. Mariana Islands

Handgunlaws.us
is a site that everyone should have bookmarked if they ever intend to travel with a gun.
Thanks, Chuck. Handy website!

Mario Andretti
Old 01-12-2015, 03:37 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Jflytle View Post
I have no knowledge of the TX requirements, but make sure to check with your airline regarding their requirements for checked firearms. Usually things like a hard lockable case, gun locked, no ammo in the mag, etc.
I've done the airline thing before - didn't seem like much of a big deal as long as you follow their rules. I have a Pelican case custom fitted for my P238 that works great. I sure was anxious to get my checked bag back though!

Mario Andretti
Old 01-12-2015, 04:10 PM   #9

Yes. 30.06 is the Texas code that allows locations to prohibit concealed carry.

Here is the verbiage:
"PURSUANT TO SECTION 30.06,
PENAL CODE (TRESPASS BY HOLDER OF A LICENSE TO CARRY A CONCEALED HANDGUN)
A PERSON LICENSED UNDER SUBCHAPTER H, CHAPTER 411, GOVERNMENT CODE (CONCEALED HANDGUN LAW), MAY NOT ENTER THIS
PROPERTY WITH A CONCEALED HANDGUN."

"CONFORME A LA SECCIÓN 30.06
DEL CÔDIGO PENAL (TRASPASAR PORTANDO ARMAS DE FUEGO) PERSONAS CON LICENCIA BAJO DEL SUB-CAPITULO H, CAPITULO 411, CODIGO DE GOBIERNO (LEY DE PORTAR ARMAS), NO DEBEN ENTRAR A ESTA PROPIEDAD PORTANDO UN ARMA DE FUEGO."

It has to say that in both languages we speak in this country. It has to be contrasting letters and displayed at every entrance. There's a required letter size as well, but I don't remember it. If it says something else, it's meaningless. Logos and pictures are meaningless too. Most places include a picture of a crossed out gun with this sign, but that's not required. Just the text.
LinckG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:20 PM   #10

Originally Posted by Chickadee View Post
I've done the airline thing before - didn't seem like much of a big deal as long as you follow their rules. I have a Pelican case custom fitted for my P238 that works great. I sure was anxious to get my checked bag back though!
I like those Pelican cases, and I agree, definitely a nervous time. Safe travels.

John
Jflytle is online now   Reply With Quote