What would you do? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Concealed Carry

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2017, 08:10 AM   #1

What would you do?

I have been offered a good job at another shop. It is a great opportunity for me and I am excited about it. Here is my dilemma:

At my current job, I can carry and even have a gun safe at my desk. The new position has strong wording in the employee handbook about weapons. All weapons are prohibited on company grounds. This includes my vehicle in the parking lot. Violation of this could result in disciplinary action, up to and including firing.

I usually carry my UCII TLE in a belly holster. 99% of people don't even know I am carrying. Upon contact with LEOs I let them know and they have to ask where I am carrying.

The new shop is not in the best part of town. I would be expected to be there at some point each week to check on all three shifts (meaning all hours of the day/night). Like most service jobs, our industry has some unsavory characters in it.

Thoughts??
Remove Ads
Old 09-27-2017, 08:28 AM   #2

You are between a rock and hard place, IMHO. Maybe investigate something like the urban carry holster (deeper concealment) or even a start carrying a briefcase/bag. I have something like this but I always have my Microsoft surface with me so I carry my P938 everywhere in this thing. But you need to have a desk you can lock so it's obviously not unattended.

gtm-155-45-min_1024x1024.jpg
I'm a 1911 addict -- GI CCO 9mm, WC Sentinel Compact 9mm, WC ULCC 9mm, WC Professional 38 super, WC Stealth 38 super, WC Bobtail Professional 9mm, DW CCO 38 super, DW CBOB 38 super, Kimber Ultra Aegis 9mm and a little Sig P938
azguy1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:53 AM   #3

I suppose they can tell you cannot carry inside the plant but I am pretty sure they cannot tell you what you can have in your vehicle. Here in California I could keep a firearm in my truck in the parking lot. I guess you have to ask yourself what the risk and rewards of moving to a new company. Are the rewards for you and your family worth giving up your right to conceal carry. It is possible after you are there for awhile you might suggest a company policy change and explain the benefits of carrying as in putting down some terrorism or a disgruntled employee that could bring in a loaded weapon at anytime. I am a stickler for the 2nd amendment. Tuff decision. If it were me I think I would go to the new company if the money and benefits and advancement is all there. Don't burn any bridges and if it doesn,t work out you could go back to your old company possibly. Another possibility would be to talk to you present boss and let him know you got to move on unless you are compensated! Anyhow I am just tossing out some ideas for you to consider I am sure you will make the right decision. Crossroads seem scary but once you pick the road then it gets easier.
starnovi likes this.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2017, 12:21 PM   #4
Super Moderator

I posted this in another thread a week or so ago. I worked for Illinois Bell Telephone Company and back in the 60's my district covered Chicago's housing projects. This was before cell phones, when you had to go into peoples homes and install or repair telephones. The company policy forbid carrying any kind of weapon, get caught and get fired. I was a single parent with 2 young children at home and I had a choice to make. I decided if I got fired I could find another job, if I was killed my children couldn't find another father. Wearing safety glasses was mandatory, the company supplied them. I wore prescription glasses so the company provided me with prescription safety glasses. I put the glass case in my shirt pocket and carried a North American .22 revolver in it, it was never questioned. When things looked questionable I had S&W .38 spl. locked in my truck that I would slip into my pants pocket. Today if I had it to do all over again I'd pocket carry my P938 and not worry about it. If you have to wear a suit or pants with a small pocket any tailor can expand the size of the pocket by adding on a little material.
Markie, starnovi and Blfinish like this.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:52 PM   #5

Thanks for the responses. It really is a great opportunity. I have never run a shop as big as this!

I think I will plead ignorance if it is brought up. Anybody that knows me at all will not be surprised of my ignorance!
starnovi and lwestatbus like this.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:00 PM   #6

Do you have martial arts training, especially with a blade?

While I am a Marital Artist, I do polish knives. What are the laws in your state?

(Does severe insanity bother you? Just a thought, I'm usually medicated).
starnovi and Blfinish like this.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:09 PM   #7

I dot suffer at all from insanity. In fact, some days I rather enjoy it!
starnovi, wayne and Blfinish like this.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:46 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by slanted View Post
I think I will plead ignorance if it is brought up. Anybody that knows me at all will not be surprised of my ignorance!
Why would anybody bring it up, why would anybody question what you have in your pocket. Any time anyone should ever see it is when you draw it to protect yourself or someone else's life.
slanted likes this.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:00 PM   #9

Dont p anyone off at work.
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:43 PM   #10

IMO. There is no longer "one" or "two" bad parts of town! Everyplace is where you could need your EDC pistol. For goodness sake you cant even attend church these days without getting killed or shot at and your considering going to work unarmed?

IMO what they don't know won't hurt them.

The pest control company I worked for had the same stupid policy that I didn't agree with, there was no backup while treating houses located in the hood. Nobody ever knew the orange soft sided cooler contained a sandwich and pistol. It stayed there most of the time without problem but in a few areas each month it was concealed on my person.

Your new boss or company going to be there to save your bacon? I think not protect yourself at all costs.

Oh was not supposed to have a knife either but I always had at least one clipped to my pocket and usually two.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308