Edc rethinking - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Concealed Carry

Like Tree76Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2017, 10:59 AM   #1

Edc rethinking

Do you change (upgrade of downsize) your carry weapon according to your destination or location.

For example: would you feel adequately armed with that 7 round 380 in your pocket if you were trapped in a room with an active shooter using an AR (Armalite Rifle)? The Texas shooter was wearing body armor.
starnovi and PaulWVa like this.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:16 AM   #2
Super Moderator

I upgrade my EDC in the winter when it's time to break out the heavy parka. My Sig P938 SAS goes into the parka's pocket. It's there to use until I can get my Ultra Tactical .45 out of the holster on my side.
Cucamonga kid and Jack4951 like this.

Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:24 AM   #3

I no longer carry a 380. I carry 9mms now because the the 9 has about twice the horse power of a 380 and they're not much bigger. I carry a S&W Shield around the house with a spare mag but when I go out to the store shopping I upgrade to my G19 with a spare mag, or my M&P 9c. Thereby doubling the round count. Knowing that not everyone is going to be as calm and accurate as they are at the range, when bullets are flying at you, you can't have too much ammo.
Chuck43 and Supertool like this.

Old 11-17-2017, 11:35 AM   #4

It goes without saying that in a fire fight you would want to have the most power and capacity as possible. The reality is, you're not going to be able to match every possibility (a nut with a AR). The other point is even a (nut with an AR) doesn't want to get shot with any caliber. Having the ability to cause the "nut" to consider his own vulnerability is a really good start. Situational awareness is equally important.

I have an assortment of conceal carry options and yes I might alternate based on whether I need deep concealment or minimal. Again, my issue is making sure I have something to answer with no matter how out gunned I find myself. I don't intend to be an easy mark in any situation. I am alive today because I was armed in two separate situations. One of which I was out gunned by a robber with a 30/30 and I had a snub nosed 38. The other was a car load of guys threatening me with knives while I was at my gas pumps checking the meters. I always felt vulnerable checking pump meters late night closing my store so I carried the snub 38 with a shop towel covering it and my clipboard. When the car drove up and threatened to open me up, I uncovered the barrel and they left without challenge. Again, situational awareness is critical. Fortunately, I did not have to shoot but I assure you I was ready. In the case of the rifleman, I responded before he could raise the barrel so he ran.
Proverbs 17:28 "EVEN A FOOL IS THOUGHT TO BE WISE WHEN HE REMAINS SILENT; HE IS THOUGHT TO BE PRUDENT WHEN HE KEEPS HIS MOUTH SHUT".

In short "be slow to speak" but resolute when you do!

Last edited by REPickens911; 11-17-2017 at 12:05 PM.
REPickens911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:04 PM   #5

Mine depends what that day's plans are, if just going at my shop it's my UCII or S&W sd9 either one I carry open, so far the site of them has deterred at least 3 persons with ill intents. If I'm going be running errands I carry my micro 9 so I can conceal it.
Chuck43 likes this.

AMERICA WE HAVE A PROBLEM
wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 02:39 PM   #6

I was thinking about the same thing recently when I heard about 2 armed men holding up a nail salon in Atlanta! I don't think I want to carry either one of my 380s anymore. I usually carry the Sig and sometimes the Kimber, but might just stick with my Micro 9. The Sig 45 is too heavy for me to carry.
Chuck43 and Cucamonga kid like this.

Heinie Lady Hawk 1911
Kimber Raptor 9mm full size SS
Kimber Sapphire Ultra Compact II 9mm
Kimber Micro 9 CTLG
Kimber Micro 380 Advocate
Sig Ultra Compact 2 tone 45 ACP
Sig P238 HD Nickel
Colt AR-15 9mm
CZ Rami 9mm
Glock 19
Glock 43
Smith & Wesson M&P 9 Pro Series C.O.R.E.
Smith & Wesson M&P 22 compact
Walther PPS M2
starnovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 03:01 PM   #7

Wow, that is some food for thought. There has to be a happy medium between carrying enough protection and being able to easily conceal. There are some places/situations you could never prepare for such as music festivals and a guy with a rifle shooting from the top floor of a hotel but I think your point should be taken that a situation with a higher possibility of a well armed shooter should be taken into account. I always carry my micro 380 cuz it's the only gun I own that I can easily conceal. However, I rarely the only person carrying in my daily situations. I can honestly tell you there is not a person working in the building that isn't carrying so I'd have plenty of "back up" but times I'm going elsewhere probably need to be rethought! Thanks for bringing up an interesting topic!
Elf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 03:07 PM   #8

Not too worried about it. At the sound of a first round going off 99 percent of the time their scattering like rats. I just carry extra mags and my Micro carry 380 as backup in a pocket in Flint or Detroit. Summer carry, Sig P938 Extreme IWB. Winter-fall, My Ultra Eclipse 45 or ProCarry 9mm OWB. My first obligation is get my loved ones out of harms way and do what I need to do to make them safe. Then think about what I can do to stop it if the situation arises.
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 03:32 PM   #9

No.

I have a safe full of handguns from full size to subcompact in most standard calibers along with holsters. However, the only one that I’m willing to carry all day everyday is my LCP in a DeSantis pocket holster. I’m not the heaviest armed but I am always armed.

I travel with a G19 and 12ga Shockwave.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 11-17-2017 at 03:35 PM.
ChattanoogaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 04:00 PM   #10

Originally Posted by starnovi View Post
I was thinking about the same thing recently when I heard about 2 armed men holding up a nail salon in Atlanta! I don't think I want to carry either one of my 380s anymore. I usually carry the Sig and sometimes the Kimber, but might just stick with my Micro 9. The Sig 45 is too heavy for me to carry.
10 or 15 years ago a guy came into a beauty solon near Hamilton, MT slashed and killed 3 women inside. I'm sure if someone fired back it would have turned out differently even if it was a 22.
But now hear is the other issue I have with my wife. She carries off body; in her purse. Better than nothing but not ideal. Oh, and it's a Kimber Micro CDP LG.
And I'm not knocking the 380. A 22 between the eyes will thwart any nerdowell. Just thinking: carry what you know will work for you. Size does matter - sometimes.
Chuck43 and starnovi like this.