Help me get over my fear of carrying a 1911 - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Concealed Carry

Like Tree324Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2017, 03:37 PM   #1

Help me get over my fear of carrying a 1911

I have had a CCW permit for many years and have been a CCW instructor for about 2 years. All of my carry pistols have been double action. I recommend double action to my students. My current EDC is a Ruger LCP .380. I recently bought a Kimber Stainless for the range, but I am also considering a Micro for carrying...but carrying with the hammer back scares the hell out of me. I understand the safety mechanisms of the 1911, but man I can't get over one in the chamber and the hammer back. Help me get over this because I REALLY want a Micro.
hudgens likes this.
NewStainless is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-27-2017, 03:43 PM   #2

As a CCW instructor you need to get over the fear of carrying "cocked and locked" because one of these days a student will want to and ask for advice from you.

I would say that most of us here on KT carry our edc with one in the chamber and I can't remember reading about an accidental discharge yet....
2sharp2, Tejun, speedydg13 and 8 others like this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 03:52 PM   #3

Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
As a CCW instructor you need to get over the fear of carrying "cocked and locked" because one of these days a student will want to and ask for advice from you.

I would say that most of us here on KT carry our edc with one in the chamber and I can't remember reading about an accidental discharge yet....
My advice so far has been to avoid carrying a single action only. Its just personal advice, especially since probably half of my students fall into the "inexperienced shooter" category. Not sure I would recommend a single action to a new gun owner.
NewStainless is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2017, 03:54 PM   #4

Why do you recommend double action to your students?

Sometimes I carry a revolver but 90% of the time I'm CC either CDP Ultra or RCP Ultra. Maybe it is just something you get used to? I don't know. I've been carrying a cocked and locked Detonics .45 since way before it was "legal."

Maybe just wear it around the house, maybe without a round in the chamber until you get used to it.

What you scared of? It can't "go off" unless you pull the trigger.
Tejun, speedydg13, Markie and 2 others like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:06 PM   #5

Originally Posted by NewStainless View Post
My advice so far has been to avoid carrying a single action only. Its just personal advice, especially since probably half of my students fall into the "inexperienced shooter" category. Not sure I would recommend a single action to a new gun owner.
No disrespect, but that should be the student's decision and theirs alone in my opinion. As an instructor you should have done this already and that way when the question comes up you will have two options to advise them on instead of the one that you're more comfortable with.

My first carry gun was a 1911 and I learned to carry it "cocked and locked" like John Moses Browning intended it to be. Drawing your gun out of your holster and then racking the slide to load a round is crazy and when seconds count just dangerous.....IMO
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:08 PM   #6

Originally Posted by NewStainless View Post
I understand the safety mechanisms of the 1911, but man I can't get over one in the chamber and the hammer back.
Well, what are the safety mechanisms of preventing it from accidentally discharging? I myself am not even sure of all of them, but that should be the biggest factor in overcoming your fears of carrying it in that condition.

Obviously there is the thumb safety which disconnects the trigger. Also if the hammer drops, there is a half-cock catch to prevent the hammer from fully dropping.

What about if the hammer were fully down on a loaded chamber. If the pistol were dropped on the hammer then, would it be possible for an accidental discharge, or is there yet another failsafe that prevents it when the trigger is not pulled?

I mean it comes down to your carry practices too as it would be unwise to have a loaded pistol bouncing around in something like a purse without a holster, but that just fails the common sense test I think properly holstered, there shouldn't be any worries.
GoCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:14 PM   #7

Your an instructor ?
2sharp2, Tejun, drafter and 2 others like this.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:16 PM   #8

I'll only add one thing. 1911's are the safest handguns made period. Just ask any cop that's shot himself with his Glock.
2sharp2, OLE442, Tejun and 4 others like this.
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:18 PM   #9

There is no magic bullet (pardon the pun) to help you get over this concern. If you really want to get past this, I advise you to get a true 1911 and a comfortable/secure holster. Then, wear it around the house as much as possible. Over time you will realize it is perfectly safe. Then carry it on short trips away from home. Eventually you will realize your fear was unfounded.

We all have issues of one type or another that we must get past. BTW, I'm not a firearms instructor of any kind, but when asked by friends who want to get comfortable carrying a gun, I give them the same methodology advice, regardless of the firearm they choose.
Marshall, 2sharp2, Tejun and 5 others like this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:38 PM   #10
Super Moderator

I'm trying to see things from your point of view, how do you accidentally fire a 1911? There's a manual safety, grip safety and a trigger to pull, unless all 3 are done the gun won't fire. Afraid of dropping it, 90% of all Kimbers have firing pin safeties that won't allow the firing pin to move unless the trigger is pulled. I have taught my young grandchildren to shoot my 1911's with a .22 conversion kit on them. I have taught a couple of ladies to shoot using a 1911 and they've all gone on, got their CCL's and now carry 1911's. The biggest danger is when the gun is in your hand and the manual safety is clicked off but being an experienced instructor you know not to put your finger on the trigger until the gun is pointed at your intended target and your ready to destroy it so what's to worry about?

Last edited by Chuck43; 11-27-2017 at 04:42 PM.
Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote