National Gun-Carry Reciprocity Bill - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Concealed Carry

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2017, 01:16 PM   #1

National Gun-Carry Reciprocity Bill

is there any legs to this bill really passing ?

National Gun-Carry Reciprocity Bill Moves to Mark Up in the House
I'm a 1911 addict -- GI CCO 9mm, WC Sentinel Compact 9mm, WC ULCC 9mm, WC Professional 38 super, WC Stealth 38 super, WC Bobtail Professional 9mm, DW CCO 38 super, DW CBOB 38 super, Kimber Ultra Aegis 9mm and a little Sig P938
azguy1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-28-2017, 02:04 PM   #2

I don't see it happening without some serious beefing up of permit qualifications. There is simply no way states like California, NY, IL, and NJ are going to allow an 18 year old from Alabama who got his permit without one bit of training to carry in their state. The state requirements vary so greatly I don't see there ever being a consensus among the states for nation-wide reciprocity. What I can envision is a system where a person can get a state permit the same as it is now with the current limited reciprocity, but also give them the option to get a "National" permit that would include a lot more training and probably a more thorough background check...not to mention it would probably be a lot more expensive. Keep in mind there are still "May Issue" states out there that require evidence of a need to carry. I just don't see there being a standard national permit using current training requirements (which is zero is some states).
Tejun, Markie and PaulWVa like this.
NewStainless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:20 PM   #3

If it's the law of the land they have no choice. That's the whole point of a National Bill, and they can't claim States Rights because it's a Second Ammendment right which supersedes the States. The Second Amendment doesn't say Only with training. It's not for you and me to dictate to a free man his rights, if so we are no better then the leftist gun grabbers.
DaveinNC and DougB like this.
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2017, 02:36 PM   #4

Originally Posted by Albert.Cairns View Post
If it's the law of the land they have no choice. That's the whole point of a National Bill, and they can't claim States Rights because it's a Second Ammendment right which supersedes the States. The Second Amendment doesn't say Only with training. It's not for you and me to dictate to a free man his rights, if so we are no better then the leftist gun grabbers.
If it's that simple, why didn't this happen a long time ago? I get what you are saying, but the reality is that most states only allow carrying with specific training and a background check, and some states, even after obtaining that training and background checks, still have the right to refuse to grant a permit. That is the factual reality of the situation. The issue is how can we get a state like California to recognized a carry permit obtained in Alabama or Kentucky? I just don't see this going through. New York City has a total gun ban. Total. Second Amendment be damned. They don't care. They are not going to allow concealed carry. Look at the fight we are having over Sanctuary Cities...you think national reciprocity is going to pass any time soon?
Markie and PaulWVa like this.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:48 PM   #5

Again, votes count, leftist cities get leftist agendas and blatant 2nd Amendment restrictions (Totally Unconstutional) but the people don't seem to care because they keep voting them in. That's why I live in the state I do, my permits good in 43 states.
Federal government will have to enforce the law if it does pass and take these leftist cities to task. It's Democrat run Cities not the States themselves, big cities dictate. Commiefornia the best example. Have to wait and see if it passes, should be no.different then a driver's license which is valid in every state even though they also have different training in each state to receive that.
DaveinNC and PaulWVa like this.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:20 PM   #6

The thing that would worry me about a national reciprocity is the idea that some (insert expletive here) from Massachusetts, New Jersey or some other God-forsaken place would have a say in what we do in Texas any more that what they already impose on us.
DaveinNC, Elf1 and PaulWVa like this.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:32 PM   #7

Originally Posted by Longhorn View Post
The thing that would worry me about a national reciprocity is the idea that some (insert expletive here) from Massachusetts, New Jersey or some other God-forsaken place would have a say in what we do in Texas any more that what they already impose on us.
Yep, that is the flip side of the issue. Like it or not, those places will have a say in the matter. And you can bet in order to get them on board there WILL be significant changes in the permitting process.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:36 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Longhorn View Post
They won't, under the bill you still are subject to follow the States laws you are in regardless of your issue state. Won't change any state gun laws, just your licence will be valid there. Same as driving.
By the way, don't think any State is safe from the leftist agenda. Elections have consequences, and if you don't get out and vote these leftist out you could very well see Commieforinia in your state.
NewStainless likes this.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:03 PM   #9
Super Moderator

I don't see it happening but then I never thought I'd ever see Illinois becoming a "Shall Issue" state and I was wrong about that.
2sharp2, Markie and DaveinNC like this.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:10 PM   #10

Originally Posted by NewStainless View Post
I don't see it happening without some serious beefing up of permit qualifications. There is simply no way states like California, NY, IL, and NJ are going to allow an 18 year old from Alabama who got his permit without one bit of training to carry in their state. .
Stainless, I AM from AL but I want you to know I take no offense at your statement. It is a true statement. As such, please take no offense at this response because it is not meant to be contentious. Many 18 year olds from rural AL have been shooting with their dads since they were 7 or 8 and know more about guns and shooting than the instructors teaching the classes. I will be the first to admit that this is not the case for all and even those who are required to take a "class" could not be considered to be proficient without regular range time. What I'm saying is that it is the responsibility of the person carrying the firearm to become knowledgeable and proficient with their gun. Even many LEOs are only required to visit the range on a yearly basis. I would not constitute that as necessarily knowledgeable or proficient so you can't legislate responsibility or attitude.
DaveinNC and REPickens911 like this.
Elf1 is offline   Reply With Quote