Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Concealed Carry

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2015, 08:14 AM   #1

Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground

I found this video to be very informative. The presentations are well done by two noted experts in this area. As always, you need to know the laws in your State.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-20-2015, 06:01 PM   #2

I love the beginning of it with the NAACP guy. Yes, there are still problems in that area; but, not everytime a person of color gets shot is due to his/her color. How about realizing behavior is what causes the action to be taken. Are there prejudice people in the world, if you don't think so your pretty naive. The thing that burns me up is you don't have to be a person of color to experience prejudice.

Was the Travon shooting a result of prejudice...who knows.....only the guy that shot him. Was the shooting justified, apparently the jury thought so with the facts presented during trial and enough said about that. Would I have done the same as the shooter.....nope. I would have called 911 and stayed in my vehicle and observed. If it was my family's home, then I would have gotten out of the car and confronted the person. But, that is me. I will only take physical action when someone's life is in danger. Otherwise, I'm fast drawing my IPhone...lol.
Maineiac64 and Jflytle like this.

Last edited by yardstick; 04-20-2015 at 06:05 PM.
yardstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:48 AM   #3

It's important to know the law -- and most especially/specifically the law in your state! -- about Stand Your Ground and Duty to Retreat. Contrary to all the media stupidity -- SYG ONLY removes one of the five elements you MUST have to allow you to use self-defense as a defense is court! I am working on my 'class report' from Andrew Branca's excellent class on the the self-defense laws (in the state of GA) a couple weeks ago.

Really EXCELLENT course -- and Branca makes very very clear that "just reading the statutes" won't do! because the statutes are not always how the law is actually applied in court (thus, you must also read the court cases and decisions in your state) and, when you can get them, the actual jury instructions used by courts in your state! Branca provides on his site the (linked) laws and court decisions for the states he has done classes in. I don't know if he does the other states -- I got the PDF for GA when I registered for the class.

But, here's some good (further) info on the law of SYG...

Stand Your Ground | New Doctrine | Over 136 Years Old
Those denouncing Stand-Your-Ground characterize it as something “new,” a misguided initiative adopted in recent years by state legislatures that has now been clearly demonstrated to have profoundly negative unexpected consequences. “Why, under Stand-Your-Ground you can shoot and kill someone just because! And it’s totally legal!”

This has become the common refrain of the pro-thug crowd who now begrudgingly concedes that Zimmerman had to be acquitted based on the facts and the law of the case—but the problem, they say, is not the thug, but the law. (For a discussion on why the Zimmerman case was never a Stand-Your-Ground case, look here: The Marissa Alexander Case Wasn’t About “Stand-Your-Ground” Either.)
Stand-Your-Ground | Self-defense Immunity | Castle doctrine
...let’s take a moment to refresh our recollection on what Stand-Your-Ground actually means, legally speaking: it simply means that the state does not impose a legal duty on an otherwise lawful defender to make use of a safe avenue of retreat before they can use force in defense of themselves or another.
Andrew Branca's "Stand-Your-Ground" Talk at the NRA Annual Meeting
The past several days I’ve been attending the National Rifle Associations’s Annual Meeting in Indianapolis, having been invited to speak at the NRA’s 17th Annual Firearms Law Symposium as part of the larger gathering.

The Annual Meeting is a massive event, with something on the order of 70,000 people attending, hundreds of exhibiting vendors covering more than 9 acres of exhibit space, and talks by pro-2nd Amendment Senators, Governors, and television/radio personalities.

Given that context, my own little talk on Stand-Your-Ground ranks perhaps among the most modest of the Annual Meeting’s constituent components.

Stand Your Ground – Watch this video, and learn yourself something
(Posted by William A. Jacobson -- this is not Branca praising himself!)
We have posted the video before, but here it is again. A brilliant discussion of what Stand Your Ground is and is not, the Dunn and Zimmerman cases, and questionable statistics used to delegitimize SYG.
Stand-Your-Ground: What It Is, What It Isn’t, and Why It’s Important
...a pet peeve of mine, which is Stand-Your-Ground, and the many ways in which people misunderstand, misapply, and miscommunicate this relatively straightforward legal concept.

Bit o' trivia: did you know the "17 U.S. states with SYG laws" are actually the 17 states that needed SYG laws on their books to UNDO the previous 'duty to retreat' that was law in those states? The OTHER 17 states that "don't have a SYG law" don't NEED one, because they had never forced a duty to retreat on their citizens!! And the rest -- those states with "duty to retreat" laws -- DO require you to retreat before using deadly force.

The key there is: IF you can do it in safety to you and other innocents... (But then the prosecutor comes into court with a map of the shooting location and points out allllll these "he could have run away" avenues that may or may not have been known to you (or even visible!!) in the event!) (How many restaurants have YOU been in where you do not know if they have a back door or where it is? In a 'duty to retreat' state -- you "should" have known, and you may pay a heavy price for not having known!)

Last edited by Ice-and-Snow; 08-20-2015 at 08:53 AM.
Ice-and-Snow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2015, 08:59 AM   #4

Guy looks like Massad Ayoob....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chuck43 likes this.

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 03:50 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bhunted View Post
Guy looks like Massad Ayoob....

That could be because it is Massad Ayoob. LOL
Marshall, bhunted and Markie like this.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:15 PM   #6

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
That could be because it is Massad Ayoob. LOL

Doh! In his younger days or he's using get that gray out stuff. He comes out to the range by me to do classes once or twice a year.

Chuck43 likes this.

John, aka BHunted

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
Old 08-20-2015, 04:24 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bhunted View Post
Doh! In his younger days or he's using get that gray out stuff. He comes out to the range by me to do classes once or twice a year.

Does he or doesn't he.... only his hairdresser knows for sure.

That was the tag line for a woman's hair coloring product commercial back in the mid 50's.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:28 PM   #8

Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
Does he or doesn't he.... only his hairdresser knows for sure.

That was the tag line for a woman's hair coloring product commercial back in the mid 50's.

Yea, I remember. Think it was Clairol or something like that....
Here is his...lol

John, aka BHunted

Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
Old 08-20-2015, 04:31 PM   #9

Geeze my past memory scares me. I was right...lol

Gpbill likes this.

John, aka BHunted

Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
Old 12-23-2015, 09:45 AM   #10

Castle doctrine

Google this: helenair stiffler
Sixty something real estate broker facing murder charges for shooting intruder in his home.