On Your 6 Designs Holster - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Concealed Carry

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2019, 08:28 AM   #1

On Your 6 Designs Holster

Has anyone used these? Lets hear any complaints or praise.

I just ordered one for my Ultra TLE II. They were running about $10 off plus an extra 10% off for a March promotion.

I had a similar style from Blade Tech for an XDS and liked it, although it wasn't Kydex, so I figured why not it's a good deal. Plus, it doesn't hurt that I don't already have one like it.
80N53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-09-2019, 12:45 PM   #2

Looks like one sooo many other companies are selling. Kydex holster, imho are all about the same. If they are molded to the actual gun and have a tension screw, I'm happy.
Just look up Kydex holsters and you'll see what I mean. You have companies like Concealment Express, Bravo Concealment, etc.... Never had a problem with any of them.... Don't pay any ridiculous prices for them though. There is enough comp out there that some of these companies are seeing and losing biz...

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 01:44 PM   #3

I'm an admitted holster whore. I can't help myself. Maybe I need to seek help--go to one of those rehab retreats like Betty Ford.

I have a couple kydex-over-flat holsters that aren't all that bad. My Crossbreed is fine. But I like the Stealthgear much better. Really, though, an all-leather is what I like, so I'll not be buying any more plastic.

While shopping for a new holster last week, it occurred to me that if I wanted another kydex, I should try to make my own. After all, cutting out a chunk of leather is a no-brainer. And how hard could it be to shape kydex? I've had kydex holsters that I wanted to "re-form" so that they would fit a similarly shaped gun. It was WAY easier than I thought it would be.

So I just did a little Amazon shopping. Kydex sheets are $5 each (pack of 4). Belt clips range from a 2-6 bucks for each. Leather is $15 for a small sheet, to $35 for a giant sheet. The price of rivets or screws is inconsequential.

If you go wild and spend $100, you could get enough material to make at least four holsters. If you went cheap, you'd spend about fifty to get the material for one holster, and you'd have a lot of material left over.

This idea intrigues me. After looking up the materials and typing this out, I'm ready to buy the material. But I'm going to hold off, and hopefully the urge will wane and I'll forget all about it. But hopefully one of YOU guys will try to make your own and then report back to us.
Bigdog likes this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2019, 03:32 PM   #4

Not sure but it requires a special tray that acts like those things that suck the air out of the bags you freeze your steaks in.

Vacuums it right down to all points of the gun for perfect molds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John, aka BHunted

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
Old 03-09-2019, 05:00 PM   #5

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
I'm an admitted holster whore. I can't help myself. Maybe I need to seek help--go to one of those rehab retreats like Betty Ford.

I have a couple kydex-over-flat holsters that aren't all that bad. My Crossbreed is fine. But I like the Stealthgear much better. Really, though, an all-leather is what I like, so I'll not be buying any more plastic.

While shopping for a new holster last week, it occurred to me that if I wanted another kydex, I should try to make my own. After all, cutting out a chunk of leather is a no-brainer. And how hard could it be to shape kydex? I've had kydex holsters that I wanted to "re-form" so that they would fit a similarly shaped gun. It was WAY easier than I thought it would be.

So I just did a little Amazon shopping. Kydex sheets are $5 each (pack of 4). Belt clips range from a 2-6 bucks for each. Leather is $15 for a small sheet, to $35 for a giant sheet. The price of rivets or screws is inconsequential.

If you go wild and spend $100, you could get enough material to make at least four holsters. If you went cheap, you'd spend about fifty to get the material for one holster, and you'd have a lot of material left over.

This idea intrigues me. After looking up the materials and typing this out, I'm ready to buy the material. But I'm going to hold off, and hopefully the urge will wane and I'll forget all about it. But hopefully one of YOU guys will try to make your own and then report back to us.
I had the same idea. So, I made a few holsters for my .380. The process is fairly easy and there is no need for special equipment or machines. One cuts the kydex in the general shape they want. If making a two piece holster, simply heat the outside sheet, lay it over the mold, (gun) or builders mold, and hold it down, press the kydex around the weapon, until it cools. For the backing or inside sheet, heat it and bend it around a curved mold, (a large cooking pot works well), to get the curve of one's body. Again, hold it against the mold until the kydex cools. Then cut the kydex to the exact form wanted, rivet the two pieces together and cut some belt loops in the bottom piece. If making a one piece holster, heat the flat sheet and bend it in half. Reheat the sheet and lay the mold between the sheets in the desired location. Press and hold until the materiel cools. You can either cut belt loops in the inside or attach another hanging system. All that said, the material has to be heated to about 200+ degrees. That means you need to insulated between your hands and the material. I used an old hand towel, folded over. You have to work fast and must have a very forgiving under surface for the press operation. The standard meat wrapping machine won't work because the plastic will melt all over your kydex before you get any molding pressure. It can be done. There are lots of Youtube videos on the subject.
RustyIron likes this.

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never has been and never will be. T Jefferson
pbsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 05:39 PM   #6

Originally Posted by bhunted View Post
Looks like one sooo many other companies are selling. Kydex holster, imho are all about the same. If they are molded to the actual gun and have a tension screw, I'm happy.
Just look up Kydex holsters and you'll see what I mean. You have companies like Concealment Express, Bravo Concealment, etc.... Never had a problem with any of them.... Don't pay any ridiculous prices for them though. There is enough comp out there that some of these companies are seeing and losing biz...
Your absolutely right and I do believe that they are pretty much equal. I was asking more in terms of this company’s durability. It was a good deal so I figured I’d give it a shot.

I typically carry in an Alien Gear hybrid but sometimes it’s inconvenient and I want something to just grab real quick, that I could lock in the glove box if needed.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:42 PM   #7

The only thing that changes in Kydex is the thickness. Otherwise pretty much the same.

Take a look at AGs new modular holster, Shape Shift. Bought the kit and some extra shells. You might like them. I do.... very comfy.

John, aka BHunted

Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
Old 03-10-2019, 01:54 PM   #8

Originally Posted by bhunted View Post
The only thing that changes in Kydex is the thickness. Otherwise pretty much the same.

Take a look at AGs new modular holster, Shape Shift. Bought the kit and some extra shells. You might like them. I do.... very comfy.

Yea I've been thinking about that one but I'm not sure they have one available for the 3" yet, but I was looking for something more minimal with full coverage.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:27 AM   #9

It arrived today.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:34 AM   #10

Sorry, bro, I'm a Bianchi guy. I used to have to carry a pistol (a Detonics) as part of my duties at a telephone company.

I now carry a Kimber 3-inch 1911 and a SW 642 in the same leather. Why it works I have no idea!

EDIT: As an update, I did "bite the bullet" and buy a dedicated revolver holster, also from Bianchi. I now have to un-loop my belt and feed the holster onto the differing angle, but it seems correct and secure to make this change.

Last edited by The Tourist; 03-15-2019 at 11:42 AM.
The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote