Florida Concealed Carry - Intepretation?? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Concealed Carry

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By KCJeep

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2019, 06:50 AM   #1

Florida Concealed Carry - Intepretation??

I was just reading an article ("DeOlMan" posted a link) and it mentioned that Utah, Florida, and Texas got it right with their CCW laws and being allowed to CC on school grounds. I had previously (just earlier this year) read the State Statutes and thought you couldn't and if you did, it's a misdemeanor (not a Felony, because you had a CCW permit).

However, I've now gone back and read them again... and it appears that in Florida, you are allowed to CC on school grounds unless the School District specifically states otherwise.

Let me know your interpretation. The key areas I point to for my interpretation are Paragraph 1 as well as Section 2e.

Agree, Disagree?

Florida State Statute: Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine
1000RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-06-2019, 07:06 AM   #2

No. Curious myself I read all that, man laws are so complicated.

Anyway what it does say is that having a firearm on school property is a 3rd degree or 2nd degree felony depending on circumstance.

It then says Florida CCW holder are NOT to be punished for violation under that statute, but under the violation of CCW restrictions statute, which is a much lighter penalty.

The CCW statute says this is prohibited:

9. Any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms;
10. Any elementary or secondary school facility or administration building;
11. Any career center;

And the CCW law also says this, which is referring to the law that prohibits firearms on school property and this states the felony law trumps the CCW law, 790.01 is the law which makes it a felony.

Any person in compliance with the terms of such license may carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm notwithstanding the provisions of s. 790.01.

So after picking through all that, Florida has very specifically prohibited guns on school property, however the penalties for violation for a legit CCW holder are much lighter than a non-CCW holder, that being a felony. There was some verbiage in there about weapons locked in a car on property being legal but it was confusing.

Once again liberals insist on keeping their soft targets due to naive paranoia. And that approach has worked so well elsewhere!
cnutco likes this.

"If you want peace, prepare for war."

Last edited by KCJeep; 07-06-2019 at 07:12 AM.
KCJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 07:13 AM   #3

I live in Missouri which is a very pro-gun state, and even here you can't carry concealed in schools or churches. But it does allow exceptions with "written permission". So we have a team of CCW holders with authorization at my church and it is perfectly legal.

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
KCJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2019, 07:20 AM   #4

Ok... so that was the way I interpreted it earlier this year - just like you. Maybe I spent more time reading the other provisions as you just quoted. Thanks for that!
1000RR is offline   Reply With Quote