Concealed carry suggestions for a "Portly" gentleman? :D - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Concealed Carry

Like Tree51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2019, 11:05 PM   #1

Concealed carry suggestions for a "Portly" gentleman? :D

Evening all! So I bought my Kimber Ultra Carry II to, well, carry. The array of holsters is staggering but I am a big guy (6'0" and 290 pounds) and I've never been a IWB fan. Of course the optimal solution is to lose weight (Carry Kimber + less weight = longer life right?) but in the mean time does anyone who is larger have a favorite holster they like? Thank you for the advice all!
nikonnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-17-2019, 05:11 AM   #2

I carry my Ultra TLE II in a Wright Leather Works Predator Holster. Itís a fine holster that I would recommend for anyone. They are offering free shipping until August 31st.

https://www.wrightleatherworks.com/c...ancake-holster
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 7527B99F-90D4-4F79-B98E-52FA190814F5.jpeg (1.70 MB, 17 views)
Bigdog, Wingnut and nikonnut like this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 05:17 AM   #3
Super Moderator

I'm not a big man but I'm a big fan of Wright Leather Works holsters. I have 2 Predators and a Cobra Hybrid.
Bigdog, Wingnut and nikonnut like this.

Old 08-17-2019, 06:50 AM   #4

I'm 6 ft. 2 inch and was 296 lbs. and I carried with a Remora IWB holster fairly comfortably. At that point I did have an issue a couple of times when it slid down into my pant leg. I did order a new one from them at a very low "replacement " rate since the stickiness of the holster might be wearing off. I also went on the Adkins (keto) diet and lost 47 lbs. so far. I also tied 3 day a week moderate workout at LA Fitness. I workout for light cardio and flexibility now...….no need to try to show of how much weight I can do at nearly 70 years....LOL!

The new Remora also has a belt clip and a sweat shield along with reinforced open for better re-insertion of the weapon. I have no problem with the new holster and most of it is the security of the belt clip. I use it 99% of the time but in a hurry, I use to old one (without the clip) and it actually works much better with my weight loss.

I think the weight loss is the key and I hope to lose another 30 lbs and keep it off. I went to my doctor for a re-check and he was giddy about my results. My glucose dropped dramatically and my A1c is just slightly above the normal range, cholesterol is all good, liver kidney all well and the biggest is my BP is way down. He said I drop another 5 to 10 lbs. and I'll be off BP meds which is my goal.

Any rate, CCW would be better with weight loss and so would your health and mobility.....just from my experience. I like the Remora and any IWB you like would do. OWB hosters are nice but sometimes can indicate CCW to others. I use a Blackhawk Serpa every so often in the winter.

Good luck with your choice for CCW!

Take care,
OLE442
Chuck43, Jflytle and nikonnut like this.

"Ancient hatreds & modern weapons-that's my kind of show" - George Carlin

"Realism can sometimes be mistaken for pessimism!"
© 2019
OLE442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 06:57 AM   #5

I have to agree that a Wright is a fine holster, and so is my Milt Sparks that I carry my Ultra Aegis in. Iím not a fan of Kydex holsters especially for any 1911 and would recommend any of the good custom leather holster makers mentioned on this Forum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B184CF7C-A76C-443B-A3A2-17761FDBA41D.jpeg (1.82 MB, 11 views)
Chuck43, Jflytle, JC45 and 2 others like this.
Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:57 AM   #6

You can't go wrong with a Crossbreed Supertuck no matter your size or your choice of carry.

Yes I know they're IWB, but with a combat cut it's very comfortable.

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk
nikonnut likes this.
shupe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 11:58 AM   #7

Best carry Iíve found for being a big guy is a nice leather pancake crossdraw. If you have a belly the shirt just drapes right over the gun no problem. Very comfortable. I also use a Galco Stinger OWB at the 2:00 position that another good one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nikonnut likes this.
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 12:33 PM   #8

Shoulder holster.
nikonnut likes this.
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 02:39 PM   #9

Originally Posted by JC45 View Post
I carry my Ultra TLE II in a Wright Leather Works Predator Holster. Itís a fine holster that I would recommend for anyone. They are offering free shipping until August 31st.

https://www.wrightleatherworks.com/c...ancake-holster
This is exactly the same as my setup...great holster, hugs the body!
Chuck43, JC45 and nikonnut like this.
Old 08-17-2019, 03:34 PM   #10

I could stand to lose 10-20. Ease of concealment is one of the motivating factors in maintaining my weight. My advice is to use this opportunity to get you pointed in the right direction. Not carrying a gun MIGHT diminish your physical well being. Excess girth WILL diminish your physical well being.

Only recently have I dabbled in carrying OWB. We don't wear heavy clothes here in Socal, so I thought it was an option that was off the table. But Chuck (who isn't a big man on the outside, but has a big heart) finally convinced me that it might be possible. I got a Milt Sparks 55BN for an HK45C. When I wear big boy pants and an untucked button-style shirt, it actually conceals ok. If I wear a jacket, it's totally invisible. Nevertheless, I kind of think I should have had Sparks make a pancake-style holster for me.

So then I decided to get a DeSantis pancake-style for a Sig P365, a considerably smaller pistol. It conceals fine under even less clothes.

But the P365 taught me a little lesson. I got a Sparks VM2 for the little gun. It's IWB, and kind of a lot of holster for the little gun, but it carries great. But I realized, that it feels exactly like my HK P2000SK in a Sparks VM2. The HK is bigger, so it would seem that it should be less comfortable than the same holster with a smaller gun. I think that the takeaway is that a top-shelf holster is going to work better than a cheap holster.

One more thing, perhaps the most important. For me, two belt loops is MANDATORY. A single loop tends to allow the holster to move around more than I like. And clips are completely out of the question. I move around a lot, and there is NO clip that is secure enough to keep a gun in place all day long. Because of your unique challenges, I'd recommend that whatever you do, get TWO BELT LOOPS on your holster.
Chuck43, bhunted and nikonnut like this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote