Calling all lefties!! - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Concealed Carry

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2015, 07:56 AM   #1

Calling all lefties!!

Been (still) studying pistol grip... Alas, all the right-handers demo-ing how they do it I find just confusing... (Trying to visualize the support hand, when the person is showing the grip hand doing it is ... baffling!)

So, because I'm SO left-handed, I decided to try to find help. (Thank you Uncle Google!)

First up:
This guy shows clearing misfires -- but not really a lot about the grip.
Left Handed Shooting - Handgun

This guy has a good discussion of handedness and eye-dominance (alas, I'm left-handed, right-eye dominant). Kinda chatty and a bit long-winded, but showing how the various bits-and-bobs do -- or don't! -- work for a leftie is good for new folks!

Handguns for southpaws -- again discussing the good or not good placement of controls; nothing on grip.

Sig Sauer U. on mag release/reload for lefties
glokrok and patton53 like this.
Ice-and-Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-20-2015, 08:23 AM   #2

The grip of death?

Now, this guy brings up a question I always have. (I mean, MAJOR YAY!!! He's discussing and demoing throughout the whole video a left-hand grip on a gun. Love that!)

He's all Glock (boo ) but also all leftie! This vid is Proper Handgun Grip:

However, I see this (problem?) often... First a bit of 'set-up.' I taught tai chi for some years. I have inculcated in my body memory the unlocked joints and relaxed-but-ready muscles that are a fundamental basis for movement. (I did have, don't know if I still do, the automatic (body-memory) of sink, ground, and "unlock" to a surprise.) When I shoot, I do not rigidly lock my elbows and shoulders, and I certainly do not 'turtle' my head and neck... But I do see it in LOT in vids and photos of shooters. The position in the photo below.

The point, in tai chi, of the relaxed (not rigid) muscles, and the unlocked joints is that the fastest motion a body is capable of is reflex action. You stick someone with a pin, and they will recoil faster than they can do it consciously. And, if movement is required, having to 'unlock' (joints and muscles) and THEN move is slower than always being 'unlocked' and ready to move. (I'm explaining this less-than-optimally here; however, it's valid in human/animal movement. Some discussion of this in my article in Tai Chi Magazine here: Elenor Snow: A Fresh Look at the Value of Relaxation

Another huge point (and my students used to tease me about saying "shoulders down" a couple hundred times in every class) is this "shoulders raised up around your ears" position. (To me, it looks like an exaggerated 'startle' position. Like: EEK! ( ) and the whole body gets tight, the shoulders get ... again ... rigid and locked up as high as they will go, the head gets dropped forward and down.

I do not see that there is any 'easy movement' in/from that position: if you're called on to move (and you are!), then having (at least!) the upper half of your body clenched and contracted seems to defeat the idea of being able to 'flow' in any direction.

I keep seeing folks getting this absolute death grip -- rigid, clenched, forced, (actually awkward looking, to my eyes) -- on the gun. I guess I need to look and see if there are folks out there making shooting vids who are NOT trying to become rock statues when shooting...

Comments? Explanations? Other ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grip1.jpg (178.9 KB, 5 views)
patton53 likes this.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:28 AM   #3

I am lefthanded and left eye dominant. I am not sure I like the term lefty. In today's world of political correctness and me being from California, someone might say I was leftist from Ca. then things could get ugly.
Sorry I drifted off track. Sno Tao do you shoot a rifle left handed? That right eye dominace would be tricky to say the least.
patton53 likes this.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2015, 08:57 AM   #4

Originally Posted by southwestca View Post
I am lefthanded and left eye dominant. I am not sure I like the term lefty. In today's world of political correctness and me being from California, someone might say I was leftist from Ca. then things could get ugly.
Sorry I drifted off track. Sno Tao do you shoot a rifle left handed? That right eye dominace would be tricky to say the least.
Um, I don't really know. When 2sharp and I shot in TN (TN, right?), he let me try his... rifle? Long gun anyway... First time ever... Hit the paper, so good fer me, but I think I held it left-handed.... but not sure, very little memory left! (It felt awkward, in any case...)

And {snicker} when I mean idiot-lefties (like my entire doggoned family) I CALL them that!!
Old 08-20-2015, 09:12 PM   #5

I have always shot right handed except for long guns which I shoot left handed. I am naturally left handed, but was taught to shoot by my right handed Dad when I was a kid.

I shoot long guns left handed because I'm left eye dominant & can't see the sights any other way.

I have recently been training myself to shoot left handed - still have some work to do, but it's coming along well so far.

Anyway, in response to your question about the 'turtle neck' & rigid elbows, I have been told by several very talented shooters that both of those postures are wrong. The locked elbows will, over time, lead to elbow damage from the recoil. The 'turtle neck' is an unnatural position for your head/neck & can lead to inaccurate shooting. You are right in thinking the elbows/shoulders & neck should be somewhat relaxed when shooting.

YMMV
patton53 likes this.

Mario Andretti
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:02 PM   #6

Originally Posted by SnowTao View Post
Um, I don't really know. When 2sharp and I shot in TN (TN, right?), he let me try his... rifle? Long gun anyway... First time ever... Hit the paper, so good fer me, but I think I held it left-handed.... but not sure, very little memory left! (It felt awkward, in any case...)

And {snicker} when I mean idiot-lefties (like my entire doggoned family) I CALL them that!!
El, you was shooting the Bushmaster Carbon 15 in .223. You did hold the rifle left handed meaning stock was on your left shoulder and you used your left index finger to pull the trigger. I might add you did a fine job for your very first time firing a rifle.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:19 PM   #7

awwwww... thanks Arland! (And just think (or maybe don't? ) you were my first! Well, not "you" exactly...
Old 08-24-2015, 06:46 PM   #8

Originally Posted by SnowTao View Post
awwwww... thanks Arland! (And just think (or maybe don't? ) you were my first! Well, not "you" exactly...
You made a long, gray haired old man happy! It was my pleasure!

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:45 PM   #9

Smile

Originally Posted by southwestca View Post
I am another that is left-handed and left eye dominant. Only problem I have had in life from being a "lefty" was at Marine Corps Recruit Training many many years ago. The M14 casings would eject directly into the right side of my shirt. I came off the line looking like I had a hundred love bites on my neck!

I don't mind being called a "lefty" as many of my "heros" were called lefty; Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Lefty Gomez, Ty Cobb, Sandy Koufax, Stan Musial, Whitey Ford, Lefty Grove and Reggie Jackson. And I can not forget my all time idol "Ted Williams" who I personally bellied up to a bar with during a unique Marine Corps celebration between the Corps and the FBI. We shook hands and drank a beer along with General Alfred Gray.

I can't begin to imagine how many lives have been lost in battle for "freedom of speech". I enjoy saying Merry Christmas, God be with you, I enjoy prayer in school, I enjoy the pledge of allegiance, I believe marriage is between a man and woman though I have nothing against gay marriage. And I say they should have equal rights, though nothing more then equal! Sorry to get off track but my thought is "to hell with the political correctness police"! We need to stand up and say what is on our mind. God bless you and thank God I am a "lefty".

Last edited by Deputy347k9; 08-24-2015 at 07:59 PM.
Deputy347k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:54 PM   #10

My name is Zoomy and I am a lefty.

Chuck43, Ice-and-Snow and Snake15 like this.
Zoomybaby is offline   Reply With Quote