Wilson Combat - Checkering Strip Front strap - Page 5 - Kimber Forum

Kimber


Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Concealed Carry

Like Tree88Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2020, 08:11 PM   #41
Super Moderator
 
Chuck43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 33,461
Originally Posted by Doons View Post
The discussion about the Wilson Combat cheapo front strap checkering/knurling thing.

So I bought one, installed it and put 450 rounds down the pipe today in a Tactical pistol clinic. It didnít move, rattle or make my gun shoot sideways. It felt great and made me almost deadly with the PCII, .45, in my hand. I would love to get it professionally done but itís just to expensive compared to what a $10 ugly add-on does just as well. Almost the best $10 bucks I ever spent.... if not for the night in New Orleans in 76..... Iím lucky to be alive.... thank god there were no video phones then.... pretty sure Iím wanted in Louisiana....

Threads merged:

I agree with you, I have them on a couple of my guns including my .460 Rowland and have never had a problem.
JC45 and Doons like this.
__________________
WE DON'T SHOOT TO KILL, WE SHOOT TO SAVE A LIFE.
Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-01-2020, 08:32 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
Doons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Cow Town
Posts: 267
Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
Threads merged:

I agree with you, I have them on a couple of my guns including my .460 Rowland and have never had a problem.
I’m weirded out with the thread merge thing... I’d be all freaked out expect I've had about 5 fingers of 101. Works better than ibuprofen for
me. With any luck I will be able to move tomorrow without making old man noises every time I move. Committed to a 6 mile hike tomorrow morning.... 7 hours on my feet today, wth was I thinking!
__________________
Pro Carry II SS
Pro TLE II
Springer XDm 3.8

Remember, tomorrow is promised to no one. - Walter Payton
Doons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 03:26 AM   #43
Senior Member
 
JC45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Northeast Pa
Posts: 6,507
Originally Posted by Doons View Post
The discussion about the Wilson Combat cheapo front strap checkering/knurling thing.

So I bought one, installed it and put 450 rounds down the pipe today in a Tactical pistol clinic. It didnít move, rattle or make my gun shoot sideways. It felt great and made me almost deadly with the PCII, .45, in my hand. I would love to get it professionally done but itís just to expensive compared to what a $10 ugly add-on does just as well. Almost the best $10 bucks I ever spent.... if not for the night in New Orleans in 76..... Iím lucky to be alive.... thank god there were no video phones then.... pretty sure Iím wanted in Louisiana....
If your someone who likes frontstrap checkering, you are better off stepping up to a gun like the TLE which already has checkering and night sights for a little more money. Checkering is very expensive. A few places I checked wanted $250. After I found this out I went with the $10 add on. Mine hasnít moved or scratched my frame.
JC45 is online now   Reply With Quote
 
Old 02-02-2020, 08:48 AM   #44
Senior Member
 
2sharp2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Chattanooga
Posts: 11,665
Well I found checkering as low as $175 from a known guy that does awesome work. Checkering at 175 in itself is not that expensive however it also requires some type of refinish which adds another 175-250 to the project.
So it is more cost productive to have it already on the pistol.
__________________
The Kimber Family

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 09:49 AM   #45
Senior Member
 
ChattanoogaPhil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,047
Cerakote a 1911 frame under $100. But if someone is willing to put a faux front strap on their 1911 then they'd probably be good with a $2.99 spray can of Rust-oleum anyway.

I'm getting an urge to put plastic hub caps on my truck...
2sharp2 likes this.
ChattanoogaPhil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 01:34 PM   #46
Senior Member
 
Cucamonga kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Big Sky Country-The Last Best Place
Posts: 4,218
Don't try this at home 🤕

IMG_2703.JPG

Well here it is installed on my New Colt Defender 45. Nobody PM'd me when I put it up for sale in a previous post so I thought I might as well go ahead and install them. They really do make a difference and feel pretty good. I had to trim them down with tinsnips and shape them to fit with the Crimson trace laser grips. The spring steel that they're made out of is very thin so it's easy to cut however it's VERY sharp when you do cut it and try to press it in underneath your grips. I haven't fired it yet but in a couple of weeks after they have "set", like springs normally do, I might give a short range report.
ChattanoogaPhil likes this.
__________________
Buy American - MAGA!
Cucamonga kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 02:12 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
2sharp2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Chattanooga
Posts: 11,665
Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
Cerakote a 1911 frame under $100. But if someone is willing to put a faux front strap on their 1911 then they'd probably be good with a $2.99 spray can of Rust-oleum anyway.

I'm getting an urge to put plastic hub caps on my truck...

Hey, we can get some rattle can in "Chrome" for those hub caps, oh wait lets put spinners on it! Yeah that's the ticket...
ChattanoogaPhil likes this.
__________________
The Kimber Family

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On