• 1 Post By JBear
  • 1 Post By JBear
  • 3 Post By Doons
  • 3 Post By Doons

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2020, 04:26 PM   #1

Flying with firearms

Good evening,
Does anyone have suggestions on flying with your handgun? I am flying from VA to FL and then driving back to VA. I spoke to the airline, but all they said is it had checked baggage, in a hard-sided case with locks on the firearm and on the container. Also, is it necessary to have a CCW permit to fly with the gun? I have researched but find a lot of ambiguity regarding the requirements.

Thank you,
Michael
millaax is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-29-2020, 04:48 PM   #2

Where the hell do you think you are, the USA?! Pfffttt, flying with a gun. Buy a double barrel shotgun, shoot it in the air standing on your porch, that's what we call self defense!
wayne likes this.
Old 08-29-2020, 04:51 PM   #3

Sorry, drunk post. Technically, this one is too, but, you may find this helpful:

millaax likes this.

Old 08-29-2020, 05:20 PM   #4

Here is my experience. Airports have their own set of rules that they think supersede the TSA. Happened to me in Washington State and New Mexico. I had the gun secured and ammo as required by TSA. In Dallas, the TSA was fine with my setup..... not so much when I hit the blue states. In Washington, I couldn’t leave the airport without a cop checking it again. In New Mexico, they told me I couldn’t have ammo in magazines. I told them according to the TSA I can as long as they are not in the gun and the gun is has a chamber lock in it. They told me they had their own rules. I will say the supervisor was cool, he went in the back and found an empty box for 9mm and gave it to me. I jammed my .45 rounds in it and they were fine with it at that point. I shoot competitively with a number of cops. One, who is retired but owns and operates a police training biz. He carry’s a laminated copy of the TSA rules with him. He was aware of the BS I dealt with. Follow the TSA rules and hope for the best. If your flying to a red state, you will likely be fine.

No CCW required that I am aware of. Be sure you understand the gun laws where you land. If you are going to New York, leave your gun at home!
Markie, Cybercycle and millaax like this.
Springer XDm 3.8. 9mm

Tomorrow is promised to no one.

Outlier on the forum, highly suspicious.

Last edited by Doons; 08-29-2020 at 05:24 PM.
Doons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 05:25 PM   #5

I made the decision not to carry ammo with me - airline said it would be much easier if I did. There is a gun shop on the way from the airport, so I will pick some up when I arrive. Thanks for all the info!
millaax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 05:54 PM   #6

Originally Posted by millaax View Post
I made the decision not to carry ammo with me - airline said it would be much easier if I did. There is a gun shop on the way from the airport, so I will pick some up when I arrive. Thanks for all the info!
But a 100 round plastic ammo case on Amazon for like $4.00. Put your rounds in that and you should be good. Don’t rely on anything a TSA agent tells you. If it was someone from the airline, they are even more clueless. My experience, cause I tried that, they are full of crap and have no clue what the rules are. Unfortunately they just go ahead and make sh*t up like they know. Go on the net, the TSA Regs are are out there. You may not be able to find any ammo where ever you land...
2sharp2, Markie and Cybercycle like this.
Springer XDm 3.8. 9mm

Tomorrow is promised to no one.

Outlier on the forum, highly suspicious.
Doons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 07:04 PM   #7

Originally Posted by millaax View Post
Any other time buying ammo once you arrive at your destination would be no problem and maybe a good idea. What I'm seeing is very little ammo available and if they do have any it's high $$$$.

I would call that gun shop and check if they have the ammo you need and see if they will let you pay for it on the phone and hold it for you.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:58 PM   #8

I put the gun in my airplane so it is safe, hop in the airplane, start the engine, and fly the gun to where I am going. When conceal carrying a firearm, I just leave it in its holster when I am pilot or one of the pilots.

It has been 40+ years since I traveled on a commercial airline with a firearm. Back then, I was required to DECLARE it before getting to the airport. Go to the main ticket counter, show the person working at the ticket counter that is was unloaded. Put it back in its case, lock the case, and then the ticket counter person would put a RED or ORANGE firearm tag on the back and send it on its way. At the other end, I had to go to the baggage claim office to pickup my bag with firearm inside.

See Colion Noir's video above for what you can expect now.
GaryNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 05:18 PM   #9

Red face

Originally Posted by GaryNC View Post
I put the gun in my airplane so it is safe, hop in the airplane, start the engine, and fly the gun to where I am going. When conceal carrying a firearm, I just leave it in its holster when I am pilot or one of the pilots.

It has been 40+ years since I traveled on a commercial airline with a firearm. Back then, I was required to DECLARE it before getting to the airport. Go to the main ticket counter, show the person working at the ticket counter that is was unloaded. Put it back in its case, lock the case, and then the ticket counter person would put a RED or ORANGE firearm tag on the back and send it on its way. At the other end, I had to go to the baggage claim office to pickup my bag with firearm inside.

See Colion Noir's video above for what you can expect now.
1980...well that was only a few years after old Mr. Ararat's folks started pulling their BS on airplanes so they hadn't tightened up yet.

Rewind only 8 years before that and they didn't even have metal detectors or security barriers at airports. Get that kids? NO security.

In the early 70s I was late in arriving so I ran out to a plane on the tarmac at the Istanbul airport wearing a backpack (which was checked by nobody), ran up the stairs and took a seat on the surprisingly empty airplane. A flight attendant eventually appeared and asked what I was doing there. "Waiting for the rest of the passengers and crew!" I answered. "Oh well we're running quite late so you'll have to go back to the terminal." she replied. 5 guards with 45 Thompsons pointed at me were waiting. I'm sure I looked surprised and clueless, so the captain told his guys to lower their weapons and let me go. Whew!
Timbers9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 02:43 AM   #10

Hahaha indeed