• 1 Post By kimbertown
  • 1 Post By Law_man
  • 2 Post By Rangemeister
  • 1 Post By Marshall
  • 1 Post By Rangemeister

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2017, 01:15 PM   #1

Micro 9 7 Round Mag Spacer

Has anyone noticed that some the recently released 7 round mags (extended) have a spacer placed between the mag bumper and bottom of the mag?

I purchased two Kimber extended mags about 3 - 4 weeks ago from Kimber. When I inserted them into the mag well I was surprised to see a gap of about 1/6 inch between the mag bumper and bottom of the frame. I was in no mood to explore the issue at the time. Today I decided to look into the issue. After removing the bumper pad, via allen screw, I discovered there was a spacer (rubber pad about 1/6") inserted in the bumper that was causing the gap (space between bumper pad and bottom of the frame). Looked at the second mag and same thing. The rubber spacer is held in place with what looked like 3M tape. Pried (ripped) the spacers out (in pieces since they tore easily). Now mags fully seat into gun.

There must be a reason why Kimber decided to add the spacer, maybe folks were not popping the mag hard enough to seat it into the mag well. Regardless I have no problems seating the mag and it looks much better without the "GAP".
starnovi likes this.
kimbertown is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-01-2017, 03:03 PM   #2

Interesting..I have 2 Kimber 7 round mags and one is flush and the other does have a gap, but not as big as the Sig 7 round mag...

The Sis mag is shown first in the pics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170101_145742.jpg (82.9 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 20170101_145822.jpg (83.1 KB, 43 views)
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 04:01 PM   #3

Take off the Bumper Pad and look at the "area of the bumper" that actually touches the bottom of the metal mag. If it has the insert spacer you will see a little gap around the edge(s) somewhere. This is what lead me to finding my Bumper Pads had the insert spacer. Once the insert was taken out (had to pry it out in pieces because of the 3M tape holding it) the mag seated deeper into the Bumper Pad eliminating the gap.

I had to used a 1/4" chisel to pry out the insert spacer. Had nothing to lose since I wasn't going to use the mags since they had such a distracting gap/space. As far as fit goes for the Sig extended mags, I've modified four so far. 3 are tight fits, the first one I fitted - sanded a little to much off the top of the Bumper Pad. My bad.

Judging by the fit of your Micro 9 and the extended mag, I would surmise you do not have the spacer insert in the Bumper Pad.

I recall reading on this forum some others were experiencing this gap with their extended Kimber mags. I'm sure a search would find those posts.
kimbertown is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2017, 10:58 PM   #4

On the Sig mag the butt plate bumper is hand fitted, correct? After I fitted mine I didn't have that much of a gap. All depends on how much you take off the top of the butt plate bumper. My 7 round Kimber mags fit tight with no gap.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
BangBang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 11:02 PM   #5

Originally Posted by BangBang00 View Post
On the Sig mag the butt plate bumper is hand fitted, correct? After I fitted mine I didn't have that much of a gap. All depends on how much you take off the top of the butt plate bumper. My 7 round Kimber mags fit tight with no gap.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
I bought my Sig mag from a member who sold his Micro 9 and he did the cutting. .

No biggie since that will be a range mag only..
Old 01-03-2017, 01:34 AM   #6

I suspect Kimber added the insert in order to help the operator seat the mag in case of "tactical" reloads. It is a mere speculation, but when fitting the buttpads of Sig extended magazines, I first made them completely flush with the bottom (tried it on open slide), but I found that seating a fully loaded magazine with the slide forward was not so easy. I had to slam it home pretty hard, the magazine sometimes failed to lock in on first attempt. Once I filed it down a bit more, leaving about a 1/32" gap, seating the full mag suddenly became effortless.

So I guess it is sort of a function over looks kind of deal.
Chuck43 likes this.
Law_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:13 AM   #7

seems so. i was worried about this gap being a known issue and then magic happens and a new version comes to light that is as tight as the firearms.
Lost_Technique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 10:53 AM   #8

Interesting. I went into my gun safe and located the two Kimber extended mags I have and they both fit fine. Curious, but wouldn't worry too much in either case I guess. Although I am pretty anal about stuff like that LOL (can I say that word?)
Marshall and trident like this.
Rangemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:46 PM   #9

I'm one to believe that a manufacturer puts things on a gun for a reason..What's the reason behind the spacer ?? I haven't a clue, but if it's there and my mags have been working with them on there who am I to rock the boat...

Many years ago when I was changing a thermostat on my 71 Mercury Marquis a friend was watching and told me that I didn't need the gasket that came in the box...Well I listened to him and about a half hour later I was hitchhiking on the side of the highway because anti freeze was leaking from underneath the thermostat...

Like I said, it maybe there for a reason....

TETO
Rangemeister likes this.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:07 PM   #10

Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
I'm one to believe that a manufacturer puts things on a gun for a reason..What's the reason behind the spacer ?? I haven't a clue, but if it's there and my mags have been working with them on there who am I to rock the boat...

Many years ago when I was changing a thermostat on my 71 Mercury Marquis a friend was watching and told me that I didn't need the gasket that came in the box...Well I listened to him and about a half hour later I was hitchhiking on the side of the highway because anti freeze was leaking from underneath the thermostat...

Like I said, it maybe there for a reason....

TETO
ditto...64 Ford Falcon........
Marshall likes this.
Rangemeister is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

kimber micro 9 7 shot magazine

Click on a term to search for related topics.