Galco holster for the Micro 9 - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro 9 Forum

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2017, 03:51 PM   #1

Galco holster for the Micro 9

I ordered a Galco Tuc664B tuckable holster for my Micro. It came in yesterday, I carried it today for the first time.

What I like, very light, very easy to conceal.

What I don't like? The holster does not cover the safety. Carrying condition 1......not a great idea with this holster. I did carry cocked and locked today, but on an empty chamber so I could safely test the holster and gun. Upon adjusting my underlayer shirt, I wiped the safety and deactivated it.
By then end of the day I have a sore spot from the reinforcement layer of leather on my side. This may be due to the sheer nature of the shirt I had on, I'll wear a regular cotton tomorrow.

I'm not thrilled with the Holster, I think a molded kydex that covers the safety would be better.

What are you guys using for a holster, and what are your findings?
Insta-Gator, trident and starnovi like this.
Stumpy(NH) is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-31-2017, 04:08 PM   #2

You get what you pay for...

I bought a Desantis from Kimber and wouldn't recommend it to an enemy..

It started nice and snug, but if you were to pick me up by my feet the gun would fall out with a couple of shakes..

Looking at a few others, just haven't made up my mind yet..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170131_170413.jpg (152.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 20170131_170433_001.jpg (163.7 KB, 30 views)
Rangemeister likes this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 06:00 PM   #3

kydex, kydex, kydex.......
trident is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2017, 07:04 PM   #4

Originally Posted by trident View Post
kydex, kydex, kydex.......
I love the smell of leather...
Tejun likes this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 07:07 PM   #5

Leather and kydex. Crossbreed!! I love em.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
cnutco likes this.
rusty4269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 02:12 AM   #6

Marshall - I usually have my gunleather custom made for the particular gun and usually the holsters are almost too tight - when I draw the gun, I do not want it to stick and I certainly do not like pulling my pants up two inches high along with the gun sticking in the holster on each draw.

So what I do is wet the holster with warm water, wrap the gun in several layers of shring-wrap, force it in and let it sit over night, then remove the pistol and let it air dry for another day.

The saddelworker that makes my holsters even recommends this procedure. It makes the draw buttersmooth, but granted, the gun is also easier to shake free from the holster when upside down (but I do not find myself upside down very often, as I bloody hate rollercoasters ).

But since I use leather rigs mostly as IWB, I can easily adjust the retention by tightening the belt.

I think your desantis is made with the same logic in mind.
Marshall and Tejun like this.
Law_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 03:36 AM   #7

Looking into the Vedders now.
Stumpy(NH) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:48 AM   #8

My holster maker, Eric Adams of Adams Leatherworks says to NOT use water on the holster for break-in. Just put the pistol in a freezer bag (the thick ones), put into the holster overnight, or even a few days.

The leather will stretch just enough to give you a smooth draw and not hike your pants up to your tits while doing so. I did this to my new IWB rig for my Micro 9 and Sig P938 and it worked perfectly WITHOUT staining or other ill effects of using water. Retention is still excellent.

I've posted it before, but here's the Adams IWB rig that has become my favorite CCW carry with these neat little pistols.

Again I'll quote John Bianchi...."good guns deserve good gunleather!" Steel and leather just seem to go together. No plastic for this old boy.
Marshall, Tejun and cnutco like this.
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 02:03 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rick in Oregon View Post
My holster maker, Eric Adams of Adams Leatherworks says to NOT use water on the holster for break-in. Just put the pistol in a freezer bag (the thick ones), put into the holster overnight, or even a few days.

The leather will stretch just enough to give you a smooth draw and not hike your pants up to your tits while doing so. I did this to my new IWB rig for my Micro 9 and Sig P938 and it worked perfectly WITHOUT staining or other ill effects of using water. Retention is still excellent.

I've posted it before, but here's the Adams IWB rig that has become my favorite CCW carry with these neat little pistols.
Basically that is what I do with my new leather holsters.

I learned the hard way that the cheapest* best preforming holsters aren't the ones you buy off a shelf in a sporting goods store. They're the ones you buy from a proven custom holster maker. They are made one at a time by hand for your gun, the down side is may have to wait months for them. They work and will continue to work for years if taken care of. One thing no one ever mentions is cleaning their holsters if you think your EDC gets dirty look closely at your EDC holster. Any dirt inside your holster is going to ride between the leather and the finish on your gun. I use Fiebings foaming saddle soap to clean mine and I try to do it every 3 months or so. My holster of choice is Wright Leather Works, I have 3 of them.

*They are the cheapest because you only have to buy one instead of 3 or 4 less expensive holsters looking for something that works.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:10 PM   #10

I have a Micro 9 SS with Hogue grips. Shoots great good little gun. Looking for a cocked and locked holster. Kimber makes one for the .380 but not the 9m as I understand it. Has anyone found a manufactured cocked and locked OWB holster for the micro 9 yet? Or do I need to go the custom route?
Thanks
rsperoff is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page
galco holster for kimber micro 9
galco holster kimber micro 9
holster for kimber micro nine
holsters for the kimber micro 9

kimber micro 9 holster

kimber micro 9 holsters
kimber micro 9 sig p938 holster
micro 9 holster
Click on a term to search for related topics.