Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro 9 Forum

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Nicefish
  • 1 Post By swca

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2018, 03:22 PM   #1

Range Report

Finally I got to the range and put the first rounds through our Micro 9s. Unfortunately, in a sense, my wife ("Mrs Nicefish"), will not get to participate for 9 months. She is unexpectedly pregnant! We were PARTICULARLY not trying to, this is clearly God's will, so we're going with that. After we got each other Micro 9's for Christmas I will only get to initially enjoy them and break them both in. Her's is a CDP and mine is a Raptor.
At the range it was a bit of a bittersweet experience. I had 1 box of Sig Sauer 147gr full metal jacket and 2 boxes of Winchester 147gr hollow points. Started out on my Raptor, the first mag I had 3 failures to feed. The next two mags, 2 ftf each. Then it appeared to clear up a bit, no issues until mags 8 and 9 with 1 ftf each. Mag 10 was good. For some reason the CDP preformed better. The first 3 mags were flawless. Mag 4 and 5 each had 1 ftf. 6 through 10 were perfect. For the record I meticulously cleaned them both ahead of time and lubed them both per the Kimber manual using the factory oil. Both the Sig Sauer and Winchester fed and failed about the same.
I will say the recoil impulse was very manageable. Both felt good in my hand and after 150 rounds I was ready for more, alas time and money would not allow me to at that point.
A couple of further comments: I found the safety very hard to engage. While disengaging was not overly a problem, when engaging I had to use my weak hand to do it. I didn't see anything about lubricating it in the manual? When selecting the Kimber part of my descion was based on Kimber being built in America AND being an American company. I was a bit surprised to notice that many of the night sights are Meprolight. I've had Meprolight sights before and they've been great, and if a product is not made here I'd just a soon they be made in Israel, but just saying... I bought the "Kimber Micro 9 take down tool", it was well worth the $10.
Not to worry, we are hanging with our Micro 9's. From what I'm hearing, we just have to go through the growing pains of 500 rounds or so of breaking in; then we should have something.
Cybercycle likes this.
Nicefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-31-2018, 03:42 PM   #2

Great range report! Very interesting to hear the break in progress between two new pistols at the same time. Oh and congratulations too!

One recommendation: Keep track of failures by each magazine as well. While it may not matter too much if they were all manufactured around the same time and get equivalent amounts of use, you never know when problems may start to present themselves due to magazine issues.

To be honest, I'm not surprised to hear that they performed differently. As much as we like to think modern machining is a perfect process, all those slight tolerance variations can present themselves in different ways, even between sequential serials numbers. Other than the issues you noted, could you notice any difference in the handling between your specimens? Even things as minor as spring strength can have surprising results in handling as I've found.

On the safety point, I think it will loosen up over time. However, in my opinion, being stiffer to engage is better than it inadvertently engaging while firing as some others have reported.

I suppose the next thing to do now that both Micro 9s are in your care for the time being is to go "full Hollywood action hero" and try firing both at the same time

Last edited by GoCart; 01-31-2018 at 03:43 PM. Reason: typos
GoCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:23 PM   #3

I am in the process of breaking in my Micro 9 Desert Tan (LG) as well. I put 200+ rounds through it, some 115gr and some 124gr Winchester white box. I had 5 failure to return to battery. A slight touch of the slide and it popped in. I did NOT strip and clean the weapon before shooting (silly wheel guy) but it fed great. I believe all 5 FTRB were with the 115. I also will be watching this thread. I think my next outing I will get some Winchester Train/Defend 147gr to try as well.
Professir is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2018, 07:40 PM   #4

When purchasing new fire arms it is always a good idea to clean and lube before going to the range for the first time in order to remove any machine oil or packing grease I know my new kimbers came almost sticky.
Professir likes this.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:00 PM   #5

Originally Posted by GoCart View Post
Great range report! Very interesting to hear the break in progress between two new pistols at the same time. Oh and congratulations too!

One recommendation: Keep track of failures by each magazine as well. While it may not matter too much if they were all manufactured around the same time and get equivalent amounts of use, you never know when problems may start to present themselves due to magazine issues.

To be honest, I'm not surprised to hear that they performed differently. As much as we like to think modern machining is a perfect process, all those slight tolerance variations can present themselves in different ways, even between sequential serials numbers. Other than the issues you noted, could you notice any difference in the handling between your specimens? Even things as minor as spring strength can have surprising results in handling as I've found.

On the safety point, I think it will loosen up over time. However, in my opinion, being stiffer to engage is better than it inadvertently engaging while firing as some others have reported.

I suppose the next thing to do now that both Micro 9s are in your care for the time being is to go "full Hollywood action hero" and try firing both at the same time
Thanks! And the next time I'm at my friends property I'm going to go "full Hollywood", that cracks me up.
That's a consideration I didn't think of - magazine inconsistencies. I have 4 (7 rounders). I'll add my voice to the ever growing chorus of folks that feel somewhat cheated to spend $800 & $850 on pistols and only get 1 mag with each.
The only differences I noted between the two is that 1) the CDP was a little more comfortable in my hand and 2) the slide serations are far better on the CDP as well. Though the Raptor slide serations looked cooler, Ive found that they are not as consistently functional as I'd like.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:44 AM   #6

... both Micro 9s are in your care for the time being is to go "full Hollywood action hero" and try firing both at the same time
Congratulations -- sorry she doesn't get to shoot for a while though... how sad to get a lovely new gun and only be able to pet it in the safe!!

But. Uh. Isn't a general rule: go full Hollywood action hero, get banned from the range?

El
Ice-and-Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:57 AM   #7

Great Rage Report NiceFish !

My new Micro Raptor 380 was experiencing the same issue with the safety you are describing. I removed the spring and plunger and cleaned them (the spring was gummy). Used some Remington DryLube on the spring and put a small dab of Slide Glide Lube on the plunger where it rides the detent on the inside of the Thumb Safety then reassembled. That resolved the issue of it being hard to engage the safety on mine.
Tejun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:45 AM   #8

Originally Posted by SnowTao View Post
... both Micro 9s are in your care for the time being is to go "full Hollywood action hero" and try firing both at the same time
Congratulations -- sorry she doesn't get to shoot for a while though... how sad to get a lovely new gun and only be able to pet it in the safe!!

But. Uh. Isn't a general rule: go full Hollywood action hero, get banned from the range?

El
True, and my local indoor range is no different. But my friend has some property way out and Indiana, so no limitations out there. Can even draw from the holster! How radical.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:50 AM   #9

Originally Posted by Tejun View Post
Great Rage Report NiceFish !

My new Micro Raptor 380 was experiencing the same issue with the safety you are describing. I removed the spring and plunger and cleaned them (the spring was gummy). Used some Remington DryLube on the spring and put a small dab of Slide Glide Lube on the plunger where it rides the detent on the inside of the Thumb Safety then reassembled. That resolved the issue of it being hard to engage the safety on mine.
Thanks Tejen, I'll try that.