safety detent - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro 9 Forum

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2018, 06:37 PM   #1

safety detent

I noticed that with the hammer cocked the safety doesn't really click or snap in to the safe position like it does with the hammer down.. it goes into safe mode but the click is very soft as if its not clicking fully into the safe position. If I drop the hammer and work the safety lever has a more pronounced click into both positions.
Anybody else notice this on their micro 9.

Last edited by ilPadrino; 02-03-2018 at 06:43 PM.
ilPadrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-03-2018, 07:17 PM   #2

Same with mine. Doesn't bother me though.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:17 PM   #3
wfm

Mine does too, but the safety works as it should, so I don't worry about it.
wfm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2018, 11:34 PM   #4

That's just the way it is.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:28 AM   #5

Pull back a little on the hammer after setting the safety and you will likely hear the detent click as well as see the safety move a wee bit as it fully engages the detent.

It is poor fitment, though I rather like pulling the hammer to get it to fully rest upon the safety as well as the safety being completely detented.

My M9 had the early hammer, which was full of sharp edges. The early hammer did not interfere with the operation of the safety and would always click as the detent set. When it was sent to momma's to be fitted with the proper sights, it shot very high (6") with the original sights, they replaced the hammer with the current design with the interference fit.

So,.. will it become a potential safety, pun intended, problem and a recall issued?..
Old 02-04-2018, 08:14 AM   #6

Originally Posted by BlondeBear63 View Post
Pull back a little on the hammer after setting the safety and you will likely hear the detent click as well as see the safety move a wee bit as it fully engages the detent.

It is poor fitment, though I rather like pulling the hammer to get it to fully rest upon the safety as well as the safety being completely detented.

My M9 had the early hammer, which was full of sharp edges. The early hammer did not interfere with the operation of the safety and would always click as the detent set. When it was sent to momma's to be fitted with the proper sights, it shot very high (6") with the original sights, they replaced the hammer with the current design with the interference fit.

So,.. will it become a potential safety, pun intended, problem and a recall issued?..
Interesting. With the hammer cocked, you can press it further back while engaging the safety and get that 'click'. This raises the obvious question of is the safety mechanism more fully engaged by doing this or not. I'm guessing the latter but I wouldn't know.

edit: the hammer does in fact move further rearward when engaging the safety.

Last edited by Brynmr; 02-04-2018 at 08:18 AM.
Brynmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:21 AM   #7
Super Moderator

I don't own a Micro 9 so I really can't address the question on the safety. I would suggest that if you are really concerned about it you contact Kimber's customer service. They should be able to answer all your questions to help put you at ease with the gun.

Customer Service
Toll-Free: (888) 243-4522
Hours: MF, 9:30 a.m.7 p.m. Eastern
2sharp2 likes this.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:22 PM   #8

Mr. Dewey: "Good morning, Worm your honor. Mr. Dewey of Dewey, Cheatem, & Howe representing the Plaintiff."

Mr. Dewey: "Mr. Yonkers, Was the Kimber Micro 9 designed so the thumb safety lever would fully engage its detent?"
Mr. Yonkers: "Yes."
Mr. Dewey: "Did you ever change the design of the safety?"
Mr. Yonkers: "No."
Mr. Dewey: "Were design changes ever made to components involved with the safety mechanism of the Micro 9?"
Mr. Yonkers: "Yes"
Mr. Dewey: "Did those changes involve the hammer?"
Mr. Yonkers: "Yes."

Mr. Dewey: "Miss Innocence, are you the owner of the Micro 9?"
Miss Innocence: "Yes."
Mr. Dewey: "Did you purchase your Micro 9 new?"
Miss Innocence: "Yes"
Mr. Dewey: "Are you familiar with its operation?"
Miss Innocence: "Yes"
Mr. Dewey: "How did you become famiiar with its operation?"
Miss Innocence: "I grew up in the country. My father taught the whole family how to shoot, handle guns, and gun safety. He always said,"It ain't safe if you don't feel it is safe.""
Mr. Dewey: "Did your father show you how to handle your Micro 9?"
Miss Innocence: "No. Last year I took a class so I could carry a concealed handgun. I learned many things to I wouldn't have given much thought."
Mr. Dewey: "Did you pass your class and obtain your permit to carry a concealed firearm?"
Miss Innocence: "Yes. Would you like to see it?"
Mr. Dewey: "Yes, please."
Mr. Dewey: "Your honor, I took the liberty of making copies of Miss Innocence's permit to carry a concealed weapon and wish to enter them into evidence, establishing her competency in selecting and using a handgun."
Hon. Worm: "You may do so."
Mr. Dewey: "Miss Innocence, did you ever fire your Micro 9?"
Miss Innocence: "Yes. The Gunshop from where I purchased it gave me a free hour on their range to become familiar with it. I really liked it."
Mr. Dewey: "Why did you choose the Micro 9?"
Miss Innocence: "Because it has a thumb safety. A lot of guns don't have them. I feel better having a thumb safety."
Mr. Dewey: "Miss Innocence, would you describe what happened the night the gun went off?"
Miss Innocence: "I was at my sister's making meatballs for that evening's football party. I told her I had bought a nice little gun to keep in my purse. She asked to see it, so I wiped off my hands and got my purse. When I first grabbed it I could tell the safety was on, but apparently my hands were still a little oily from making meatballs and it slipped. When I grabbed for it, the gun went off."
Mr. Dewey: "Was anybody hurt?"
Miss Innocence: "Yes..."

Loosely put, this is how it begins...
Names and circumstances were changed to protect the innocents.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:30 PM   #9

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20180204-182821.jpg (115.8 KB, 5 views)
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:45 PM   #10

Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Since mine is already headed to Yonkers for other failures...

LOL