Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro 9 Forum

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By RustyIron
  • 2 Post By Tejun
  • 1 Post By Nick1946

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2018, 06:23 AM   #1

Light primer strikes

Problem was really bad Monday at the range, about every other round. This is my wife's Micro 9 and it gets cleaned and lubed after every range trip. We had some of this problem initially with Sellier&Bellot 124 gr, so we switched over to Fiocchi 115 gr and it was good to go. Monday we were using some Aguilla and Speer Lawman. We came home, I cleaned/lubed the gun along with cleaning out the firing pin channel and firing pin(it was somewhat dirty. After cleaning the problem continued as I loaded up some dry fire snap caps(has silicon in primer opening), dry fired the gun and noticed barely a mark,no indentation, in the primer area. Called CS, spoke with lady named Reni(very nice/informed),got a RMA and shipping label. Will try and get it sent back today.
Nick1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-07-2018, 06:50 AM   #2

...Just a thought, maybe the firing pin block safety is not releasing properly? I've noticed with my Micro .380 that it can be turned from inside the slide using a small screwdriver. It should move up into it's slot with a few #s of pressure and pop right down when released. A spring sits between the silver part visible inside the slide and your rear sight. if it's hanging up try turning it a little. Otherwise the rear sight needs to come off to get at it.
...If need be they'll get her dialed in in Yonkers for you, good luck.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:56 AM   #3

Originally Posted by Nick1946 View Post
After cleaning the problem continued as I loaded up some dry fire snap caps(has silicon in primer opening), dry fired the gun and noticed barely a mark,no indentation, in the primer area.
I don't use snap caps, so I'm a little confused. Aren't snap caps supposed to absorb the energy of the firing pin, and not deform? I would think that no indentation would be the desired goal.
Tejun likes this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2018, 08:30 AM   #4

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
I don't use snap caps, so I'm a little confused. Aren't snap caps supposed to absorb the energy of the firing pin, and not deform? I would think that no indentation would be the desired goal.
IMHO, primers indent and ignite the powder. These snap caps have silicon in place of the primer and therefore should "indent" like a primer.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:35 AM   #5

Well, while the silicone in snap caps does deform, it should also "rebound" back to nearly its original shape in order to be used again for repeated dry firing. I've only had experience with revolver use, but I've only ever noticed small indentations in the silicone after a lot of use and even then they won't be as deep as those left on casing primers.

Hope Kimber gets your issue fixed though.
GoCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:47 AM   #6

NICK1946, Have you by chance tried the pencil test ? Place a regular pencil (old style not mechanical) in the barrel with eraser facing toward firing pin. I usually point the pistol straight up, or with a slight angle upward to be sure the eraser is firmly against the breech face and pull the trigger. Pencil should shoot out the barrel completely. On my Kimbers it will shoot across the room about 12 - 15'
Chuck43 and JC45 like this.
Micro 380 Stainless
Micro 9 Stainless
Solo CDP
Tejun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:22 PM   #7

Received the Micro 9 back from Kimber today. Work order shows they replaced:firing pin,firing pin spring and recoil spring. My wife plans on shooting it tomorrow when we go to the range. Tried pencil test after it was back and it shot the pencil out 3-4'. Fast turnaround as they received it last Friday.
Old Timer 57 likes this.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:24 PM   #8

I would say that's a very good sign!

Semper Fi

Kimber Ultra CDP II .45 ACP
Kimber Stainless Micro 9mm
Old Timer 57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

light primer strikes kimber micro 9mm

Click on a term to search for related topics.