Took the Kimber Micro 9 out, today - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro 9 Forum

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2018, 03:47 PM   #1

Took the Kimber Micro 9 out, today

As I mentioned in my introduction, I bought a Micro 9 (two tone) from my neighbor, on Sunday. He had purchased it locally- there is a convenience store near by, that sells firearms. I know the owner well, and I remember when this gun was on the shelf.
I didn't have much time (which is usually the case), and it started raining on me. But, I was really anxious to see how the Micro would run, especially in comparison to the 938.
I put 12 mags through it, running various FMJ and HP's. No issues- it ran great, and that was using both Kimber and 938 mags.
It was accurate, but it was a little more to hold on to than the 938. Since Kimber does not stipple the front side of the grip, there isn't as much traction. But, it wasn't a problem- just something to adjust to.
I shot two handed and single handed, and it handled well. I was accurate both ways.
The sights are good, and it has a better trigger than the 938. Shorter reset, and a little lighter.
I've ordered two extended mags, and I look forward to running it using them. Ironically, on the way home, I stopped into the local convenience store where the gun was purchased. Earl (the owner) had some Micro 9 extended mags on the shelf, so I picked one up (two more are coming on Thursday). $27- not bad.
I need more time with it, but I've gotten over the "will it run reliably?" jitters. It felt good, ran good, and my confidence is building.
It's a winner, in my book. It's solid, carries the same amount of rounds as the G43, but it's smaller.
I prefer the Kimber over the 938- I can say that. Nothing major, it's just the small things that add up. The Micro is a very agreeable concealed carry gun.
Romans 1:16 "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
hodge5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-13-2018, 03:53 PM   #2

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ for it is the Power of God unto salvation for all those who believe.
I like your signature too. I have a Sig 938 AG and I like it a lot but like you said the Kimber is just a little nicer looking and smoother and I've been waiting for some more reports like this before I pull the trigger on one. Glad to hear you have a new favorite pistol.
JC45, Panzer, Elf1 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Cucamonga kid; 02-13-2018 at 03:56 PM.
Cucamonga kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:01 PM   #3

It's always nice to hear when they run like their supposed to, I too have been waiting for a first comparison. I already the Micro 9 but have wanting a Sig 938, but it sounds like I may already have the nicer of the 2

AMERICA WE HAVE A PROBLEM
wayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2018, 04:18 PM   #4

Originally Posted by wayne View Post
It's always nice to hear when they run like their supposed to, I too have been waiting for a first comparison. I already the Micro 9 but have wanting a Sig 938, but it sounds like I may already have the nicer of the 2
The 938 had some real hiccups when it was first introduced, but Sig has worked them out. I had an early one- the only issue that I had was a loose, right side safety lever. The second 938 that I had ran good, but I was a little disappointed in the finish- it was the anodized green model, and the anodizing was flaking off inside the engravings. Nothing that would affect the gun, but I was still disappointed. Aesthetics are important to me- not as important as functionality, but I like also like my guns to look good.
As I mentioned, the Micro has a little better trigger. It is noticeable, and it is an attribute. The Micro is also slightly smaller, in little ways. At least to me, anyway- I haven't compared a Micro 9 to a 938. I did compare the width, from front to back, of the grip to my 238, and the Micro is marginally shorter. It isn't much, but it makes a difference- I think that the Micro looks more balanced than the 938.
The 938 comes with a 2 piece guide rod, whereas the one in my Micro is a one piece- that's a plus. The 2 piece is known to come apart, and launch itself out of the front of the slide.
I'm a huge Sig Sauer fan, but it is what it is- in my estimation, the Micro is a better offering. Having owned both, I definitely prefer the Micro.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:12 PM   #5

Originally Posted by hodge5 View Post
As I mentioned in my introduction, I bought a Micro 9 (two tone) from my neighbor, on Sunday. He had purchased it locally- there is a convenience store near by, that sells firearms. I know the owner well, and I remember when this gun was on the shelf.
I didn't have much time (which is usually the case), and it started raining on me. But, I was really anxious to see how the Micro would run, especially in comparison to the 938.
I put 12 mags through it, running various FMJ and HP's. No issues- it ran great, and that was using both Kimber and 938 mags.
It was accurate, but it was a little more to hold on to than the 938. Since Kimber does not stipple the front side of the grip, there isn't as much traction. But, it wasn't a problem- just something to adjust to.
I shot two handed and single handed, and it handled well. I was accurate both ways.
The sights are good, and it has a better trigger than the 938. Shorter reset, and a little lighter.
I've ordered two extended mags, and I look forward to running it using them. Ironically, on the way home, I stopped into the local convenience store where the gun was purchased. Earl (the owner) had some Micro 9 extended mags on the shelf, so I picked one up (two more are coming on Thursday). $27- not bad.
I need more time with it, but I've gotten over the "will it run reliably?" jitters. It felt good, ran good, and my confidence is building.
It's a winner, in my book. It's solid, carries the same amount of rounds as the G43, but it's smaller.
I prefer the Kimber over the 938- I can say that. Nothing major, it's just the small things that add up. The Micro is a very agreeable concealed carry gun.
I was wondering about that. Nice write up.
Ultraman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:06 PM   #6

Very nice report, I also have a 938 Extreme and I think it’s an excellent gun. I agree the Kimber is better looking. I never had the opportunity to shoot a Micro 9 but I would expect the trigger to be a little nicer on one. I will say the 938 Extreme has a nice feel due to the frontstrap, MSH and grips. Hopefully I get to shoot the Micro 9 someday. Congratulations
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:54 PM   #7

Glad to hear about your Micro 9. I also have a Micro 9 and a Sig 938. My Micro 9 is the CSE, and my Sig is the Extreme. I agree with JC45 that the Sig Extreme is a excellent gun. I am opposite, I love my Sig more than my Micro. My Micro cannot go a few mags before I have a problems. I think I need to have the extractor fixed because I go a few mags and it will not extract the empty casing. The Micro does not like the 115 gr. but 124 and 147 gr. it does pretty good. But I do not trust the Micro with my life. Do not get me wrong I love the Micro and I will do what I can to get it up to where it needs to be. Side by side my Sig eats anything and my Micro does not.
hodge5 likes this.
Bear604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:15 AM   #8

Originally Posted by Bear604 View Post
Glad to hear about your Micro 9. I also have a Micro 9 and a Sig 938. My Micro 9 is the CSE, and my Sig is the Extreme. I agree with JC45 that the Sig Extreme is a excellent gun. I am opposite, I love my Sig more than my Micro. My Micro cannot go a few mags before I have a problems. I think I need to have the extractor fixed because I go a few mags and it will not extract the empty casing. The Micro does not like the 115 gr. but 124 and 147 gr. it does pretty good. But I do not trust the Micro with my life. Do not get me wrong I love the Micro and I will do what I can to get it up to where it needs to be. Side by side my Sig eats anything and my Micro does not.
Good points. Any gun, regardless of who makes it or how much was spent, is a machine, made by people, and is imperfect. Some run well, some don't. That's why a person needs to get out and put sufficient rounds through it, to determine if it is reliable. Any gun- the cheapest Hi-Point, can be stone reliable. And the most expensive can be riddled with problems.
I need to put more rounds through my Micro, but I am encouraged that it is reliable. I use quality defense rounds for carry, but I will run a variety of stuff through it, prior to putting it in my carry holster.
An interesting observation that I forgot to mention- I use a DiSantis IWB holster, and a variety of OWB pancake holsters (leather). So, they are flexible. The Micro fits in my Sig 238 holsters, whereas the 938's that I had, wouldn't. Again, the Micro is marginally smaller.
Bear604 likes this.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:17 AM   #9

I have a friend with a 938, and he's been itching to run my 226 Legion (SAO). I think that he and I should get together, and run his 938 and my Micro. It would be interesting to compare them at the range.
Bear604 likes this.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:07 AM   #10

I like your signature to brother. Must have one of those "early" p938's four years ago, because I had multiple problems with mine. I like the Micro 9 much better, just have to accept that it seems to need that 500 or so break in with heavy rounds. After that I heard/read that it'll feed about any thing (115 gr etc).. My understanding is that only the entry level M9s don't have front strap serations, both mine and my wife's do (?). I know that the regular stainless does not (smooth front).
hodge5 likes this.
Nicefish is offline   Reply With Quote