• 3 Post By Ultraman
  • 1 Post By Panzer
  • 3 Post By BWozn14k
  • 1 Post By Panzer
  • 5 Post By Chuck43
  • 1 Post By BWozn14k

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2018, 12:02 PM   #1

Micro 9 Raptor just arrived at Yonkers, NY.

So after picking up a Micro Raptor just shy of a year ago. I decided to call CS about the on going safety issue I have been having.

The issue,
Periodically the safety inadvertently moves to the safe or locked position. First time shooting this happened several times, I only had the one mag. I was putting it off to my grip, small gun, etc. Had others shoot it with same results. Something must be outa wack.

After getting additional mags basically the same issue. Checking in here I read some good ideas and tried them all. It seemed to get better after 600 rnds. Only happened a few times between 600-1000+ rnds. Still wasnít happy for obvious reasons.

Last weekend we went to a new indoor range and shot a few different guns. My Micro failed bigtime. Out of 100 rnds the safety moved into the locked position more then 10 times. I held the grip low, single hand, keeping my hand at least an inch down from the safety on both sides and watched closely along with others. We could actually see the safety lever move slightly nearly every shot. By the third or fourth shot it would fully engage.

Was reading Kimber has a 1 year warranty and figure being days away from one year, I made the call. The CS lady never asked when the gun was purchased, she just set me up with the necessities for sending it to Yonkers for a look. Oh and was told 2 week turn around which surprised me. She says it may be sooner as they are caught up now, but they always say 2 weeks to be safe.

Hereís to hoping they get the problem fixed, because itís my favorite to carry outside the fort.
Panzer, starnovi, wayne and 1 others like this.
BWozn14k is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-16-2018, 12:38 PM   #2

Me thinks that Kimber would sell many more firearms if the company followed the industry with a WRITTEN lifetime warranty to at least the original owner. One year seems to be subtle proclamation by Kimber that their firearms are not good enough to offer a longer guarantee. And my "vast" experience with just one Kimber (a Micro .380) seems to bear that out.
BWozn14k likes this.
Panzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:21 PM   #3

Kimber has some of the best customer service in the industry.
They will warranty work past the one year from my own experience. Then again, if you're being a dikk about things on the phone YMMV. OP, they'll get it fixed.
BWozn14k, Elf1 and Karens like this.
Ultraman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2018, 02:04 PM   #4

Originally Posted by Ultraman View Post
Kimber has some of the best customer service in the industry.
They will warranty work past the one year from my own experience. Then again, if you're being a dikk about things on the phone YMMV. OP, they'll get it fixed.
I agree that Kimber's customer service phone reps are second to none, but niceness only goes so far. It should also be accompanied by a longer warranty period. However, I knew the warranty period was just one year when I bought my Kimber. I've got no one to blame but myself. Like you said - your mileage may vary. My mileage just wasn't very good.
BWozn14k likes this.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:09 PM   #5

Thought I would let you all know, my M9 Raptor is back home. Excactly a week on the return.

They Replaced:
Ambi thumb safety
Guide rod and spring

Refinished the barrel, reamed the chamber and polished, adjusted the extractor and QC inspected her.

They put 3 mags of Buffalo CC 124 gr FMJ and 1 mag Hornady custom XTP 124 gr JHP down Range.

The safety seems to be somewhat stiffer and the barrel outside is a bit shinier, after I gave her a quick cleaning, as they did not after test fire.

I will try to get out and test her myself this weekend. I will let you know how it goes. Hoping to put her back into my holster.

Thus far my experience with Kimber CS has been excellent. I agree they and all gun manufacturers should supply lifetime warranty. I was never asked when I purchased this firearm or any other questions for that matter. She ask if she could help me. I explained the problem and what I had done to work through it.
She asked for my email so she could send shipping label.

Maybe they do stand behind their product, they just don’t advertise so. Yes if they did state lifetime warranty or not state anything like Ruger does, maybe they would sell more. At any rate I am happy with the way they handled my issue. We will see after testing.
Panzer, Elf1 and GoCart like this.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:37 PM   #6

I am getting a sense that Kimber is good for more than a year with their warranty work. I do not peruse all the postings on the KimberTalk forums, but what I've read, I have never found that anyone was flatly denied warranty service after a year. Maybe someone else can comment on that.

Good luck with your rejuvenated Raptor. Hopefully Kimber breathed some new life into it for you.
BWozn14k likes this.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:32 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Kimbers written warranty says 1 year. That being said I have a friend that bought a well used 5 year old Kimber that he was having trigger problems with. He sent the gun in to have the trigger repaired, they repaired the trigger and completely refinished the gun, it looked like a new gun when he got it back............ no charge.
Hoffbrew, JC45, Panzer and 2 others like this.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:06 AM   #8

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
Kimbers written warranty says 1 year. That being said I have a friend that bought a well used 5 year old Kimber that he was having trigger problems with. He sent the gun in to have the trigger repaired, they repaired the trigger and completely refinished the gun, it looked like a new gun when he got it back............ no charge.
Good to hear this. Thanks for sharing it.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:24 AM   #9

That’s was I was thinking about Kimber warranty. From my experience and what I have heard from others, there is no worries here.
Panzer likes this.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:10 PM   #10

Had a chance to get to the range and test fire the Micro after her return from Yonkers. Very quick return. The safety issue seems to be fixed. After 100 rnds do 124 FMJ from FM, couldn’t detect any movement what so ever. The thumb safety lever is much tighter then before and has a more definitive click when moving in either direction.

However she had two light strikes. I could see a definite indent on the primer and those two rnds did fire on the second hit. That has never happened before with this pistol. I will have to watch that in the future. Not sure what would cause that. The firing pin moves freely. IDK.

Oh and yes I did clean and lube everything when she got back from her Yonkers trip. As they sent her back dirty after putting 28 rnds down range.

So I be keeping an eye out for light strikes in the future.