Win. 124gr. NATO won't run - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro 9 Forum

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2018, 05:37 PM   #1

Win. 124gr. NATO won't run

I went to the range this morning with my Micro 9 and seven mags loaded with Winchester 124gr. NATO ammo. The gun ran essentially as single-shot, as nearly every shot failed to eject. Two shots in succession without FTE happened once or twice. The RSO tried it with the same results. We worked our way through five mags that way.

I unloaded the two full mags and loaded back up with 115gr. Blazer. The Blazer ran just fine, shooting both slowly and fast. I proceeded to run through 100 rnds. with no malfs at all.

What's the deal? I'm puzzled.
cousinmark likes this.
OldDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-03-2018, 05:54 PM   #2
Super Moderator

NATO 9mm rounds are loaded to military velocity and pressure; average pressure is 10% to 15% higher than industry standard pressure for 9mm Luger. The problem is the “10% to 15%” higher pressure puts this square in the 9mm +P category. The Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturer’s Institute (SAAMI) actually goes as far as to list 9mm NATO as being “unsafe” for firearms chambered in the standard 9mm caliber.
Marshall, 2sharp2, swca and 3 others like this.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:57 PM   #3

I shoot that ammo in my Solo with no problems at all. Have also shot with my Micro 9.
Micro 380 Stainless
Micro 9 Stainless
Solo CDP
Tejun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2018, 06:02 PM   #4

I have 1000 rnds. of the stuff. I'll shoot it through my G26. It'll eat anything. I still don't understand the FTEs.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:32 PM   #5

A gun is like our digestive system. If you don't feed it the right diet it will end up giving you the shits.

Ditto on what Chuck had to say.....
Chuck43, Tejun, swca and 2 others like this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:47 PM   #6

I am guessing and I do mean guessing that a stiffer recoil spring might let you run that ammo. I am not a gunsmith so my reccomendation is just a thought why it might not eject properly. Marshall is right when you feed them the right recipe they are as smooth as a rolex. If you put in a stronger spring though you might not be able to run the lighter 115 grain stuff.
Chuck43 and Tejun like this.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 07:34 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies. I wonder if the high pressure rounds drive the slide faster than the extractor can keep up with?
swca likes this.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:12 AM   #8

Originally Posted by OldDad View Post
Thanks for the replies. I wonder if the high pressure rounds drive the slide faster than the extractor can keep up with?
...that's a fair guess? Something is definitely out of sync with the gun/ammo combo. I often get Fiocchi ammo for plinking, it's on the inexpensive side and generally runs just fine. Generally, EXCEPT, in my Ruger LC9s???? I was so confused I sent the pistol in to Ruger, they tried to duplicate the problem with 5 different ammos, no problems??? That same batch of ammo has run flawlessly through my other 9mm guns. At the same time I've run several other ammos through the Ruger (that Winchester NATO stuff included) without a problem. These pistols can really be like women I guess :-)
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:59 AM   #9

Careful!

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
...that's a fair guess? Something is definitely out of sync with the gun/ammo combo. I often get Fiocchi ammo for plinking, it's on the inexpensive side and generally runs just fine. Generally, EXCEPT, in my Ruger LC9s???? I was so confused I sent the pistol in to Ruger, they tried to duplicate the problem with 5 different ammos, no problems??? That same batch of ammo has run flawlessly through my other 9mm guns. At the same time I've run several other ammos through the Ruger (that Winchester NATO stuff included) without a problem. These pistols can really be like women I guess :-)
There are women on this forum and they own guns. In fact I know one that owns one of those black rifles.
wayne likes this.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 10:27 AM   #10

Originally Posted by swca View Post
I am guessing and I do mean guessing that a stiffer recoil spring might let you run that ammo. I am not a gunsmith so my reccomendation is just a thought why it might not eject properly. Marshall is right when you feed them the right recipe they are as smooth as a rolex. If you put in a stronger spring though you might not be able to run the lighter 115 grain stuff.
I think you are spot on. I have one full size 9 from Guncrafter that came with an assortment of springs for hotter loads. Good guess!
Ultraman is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

9mm nato in kimber micro 9

micro 9 fire 9mm nato

Click on a term to search for related topics.